Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

aaronm13 wrote: »
    No, want the different levels of white so it's the second one I need. Was just hoping for the best really as I need three of them. Thanks.

Yes, then you need White Ambiance

The white ambiance comes in B22 (Bayonet), E27 (Edison Screw) and GU10 (spotlight).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Yes, then you need White Ambiance

The white ambiance comes in B22 (Bayonet), E27 (Edison Screw) and GU10 (spotlight).

Cheers Andy, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What's the best way to start off. Just buy the bridge and then keep adding bulbs or go for the starter kit. Does the bridge need to be connected to the router or is it wireless.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

niallo27 wrote: »
    What's the best way to start off. Just buy the bridge and then keep adding bulbs or go for the starter kit. Does the bridge need to be connected to the router or is it wireless.
    Thanks

It needs connecting to WiFi router but there is a hack if you have something like the sky WiFi external for sky HD box.

Usually when on offer cheaper to buy starter that's why you see people selling after as no need for extra box.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Thanks

Buy a starter kit, it works out you pay full price for the bulbs but get the bridge/hub for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi all,

I have gone Hue mad in the front room - 2 blooms, 2 colour bulbs in white shaded lamps and a strip behind tv. Have to say everyone loves them, from the 3 year old to my OH.. big success.

The following is pretty good for people who would use a Plex Media Server - you install it on your Plex Server. It is configurable in the 'hello hue channel' and its great fun.

What I have done is to set it up so that after dark when we press play to watch a movie or TV show the lights dim (configurable to your own level). When you press pause or stop or the movie ends the lights come back on! What could be better? Great fun and pretty cool, everyone very imnpressed with it!

https://github.com/ledge74/HelloHue.bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capslock

Does anyone know if there are any deals for the starter kit's coming up soon? I bought three Philips Hue Iris lights on a deal from Amazon a few months back and have been looking at adding the starter kit to the collection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Capslock wrote:
    Does anyone know if there are any deals for the starter kit's coming up soon? I bought three Philips Hue Iris lights on a deal from Amazon a few months back and have been looking at adding the starter kit to the collection too.

I didn't know if anyone has such insight. But add them to your wish list on Amazon if you haven't already.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

This is getting pretty crazy now, but i'm loving it!

Currently have all white(don't see the need for the colour changing ones) bulbs, dotted around the house, 2 in the living room(one main light and a lamp), hallway, landing, my office, and both bedside lamps in the bed room.

Also have a strip under the counters in the kitchen.

Next purchases are another strip for the other counter in the kitchen, and 6 x gu10 spots(expensive bas7ards)

eeloe wrote: »
    (don't see the need for the colour changing ones)

Give it some time.

eeloe wrote: »
    and 6 x gu10 spots(expensive bas7ards)

you know the GU10's come in 2 different types? White Ambiance (double pack @ £44.99) & Colour @ £49.99 each

still not cheap, but I was going to get the white ambiance for my kitchen/dining room, but decided feck it and got 10 colour ones instead.

I don't need 10 colour GU10's except for reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Got 2 of the dimmer switches for the bedrooms. The wife refuses to ask Alexa to turn on/off the lights :rolleyes:

Slowly changing every bulb that I can to the hue system but really wish they did an E14 bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Capslock wrote: »

This site will notify you of price drops, set your desired price, see the price history.
    https://camelcamelcamel.com/

This site will notify you of price drops, set your desired price, see the price history.
    https://camelcamelcamel.com/

That's great, thanks! Handy that. I splashed out on the starter kit today from Amazon though. I am also selling a single un-used and Unopened white bulb and one colour bulb if anyone is looking to add to their collection...receipts included. I bought them before realising I needed the bridge and now I have too many bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

now I have too many bulbs.

You'll regret that sentence!

now I have too many bulbs.

You never have too many Hue bulbs,

I have 43 and I still don't have enough!!

Ha ha! Ok maybe I should re word that! I spent a silly amount of money on these things since October and fear I may be in over my head! :P

You never have too many Hue bulbs,

I have 43 and I still don't have enough!!

43? Sweet Jesus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

That's great, thanks! Handy that. I splashed out on the starter kit today from Amazon though. I am also selling a single un-used and Unopened white bulb and one colour bulb if anyone is looking to add to their collection...receipts included. I bought them before realising I needed the bridge and now I have too many bulbs.

Is the colour Edison or Bayonet?

OU812 wrote: »
    Is the colour Edison or Bayonet?

Hey, it's a bayonet. The white one is Edison, thanks.

OK, thanks. Was looking for an edison

• Advertisement

No worries, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've 3 edisons and the bridge in a pack new, also have 1 unused lightstrip boxed, I need one colour gu10 and 3 x Colour Bayonets. Also 2 nest protects. 1 new and 1 from amazon warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I've 3 edisons and the bridge in a pack new, also have 1 unused lightstrip boxed, I need one colour gu10 and 3 x Colour Bayonets. Also 2 nest protects. 1 new and 1 from amazon warehouse.

How much would you be looking for all of that?

Are you willing to split the bulb pack drunk monkey? Also are the protects battery or mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I'd be interested in the light strip if selling separately

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I'1 unused lightstrip boxed. Also 2 nest protects. 1 new and 1 from amazon warehouse.
    I'd be interested in the Nest Protects & the light strip. How much are you looking for for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I shouldn't really be giving away my secrets, but here's a great option for a wall washer... Fortunately this suits my style perfectly...

I just popped one of the bulbs from my starter kit in and its working a treat... The lamp is allot larger than it looks in the photo...

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/table-lamps/ikea-ps-2017-table-lamp-yellow-art-30341465/

409702.jpg

That's a great idea.
    I'm having trouble trying to connect my Iris to the Bridge, anyone know how? Thanks!

That's a great idea.
    I'm having trouble trying to connect my Iris to the Bridge, anyone know how? Thanks!

I auto connect fails, try manually pairing with the serial number,

Also, if the above fails, try it all again with the Iris next to the bridge.

• Advertisement

OK thanks, added them with the serial numbers.

Advertisement