Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had a power outage this morning and the ESB site says it likely won't be back until 7:30pm. I'm out for the day, but just looking at the app and the motion sensors, it says insufficient daylight for one, the others motion detected at 11:09 and 11:13. Nobody is home... :confused:

I didn't get a chance to turn off the sensors this morning, with a view to letting my routines kick in. Will do that now, but could it be motion detected is the storm/wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Had a power outage this morning and the ESB site says it likely won't be back until 7:30pm. I'm out for the day, but just looking at the app and the motion sensors, it says insufficient daylight for one, the others motion detected at 11:09 and 11:13. Nobody is home... :confused:

I didn't get a chance to turn off the sensors this morning, with a view to letting my routines kick in. Will do that now, but could it be motion detected is the storm/wind?

either the power has been restored or its the power intermittently coming on/off while they try and fix it, causing the sensors to reconnect to the bridge and send out some sort of notification.

they'll always say a worst case scenario time for return of service, but would always to get it back on asap!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got a few hue bulbs at the weekend.... Great in ways, but location aware sucks (ok, have hues native location aware stuff is broken since Jesus, I'm taking ifttt). Ifttt constantly says I've left the area and then back into the area. Frustrating. I've made the catchment area pretty big too....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've just ordered a pair of these with sensors for secondary spaces... One for the balcony & one for the hallway. I only need them for basic functions, don't need any fancy colours... Just warm white...

Anyone using them? Are they good... Seem like good value at €14.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-White-Single-Lamp/dp/B0152WXI0E/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4Q7PXT053J5DN12XZ926

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've just ordered a pair of these with sensors for secondary spaces... One for the balcony & one for the hallway. I only need them for basic functions, don't need any fancy colours... Just warm white...

Anyone using them? Are they good... Seem like good value at €14.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-White-Single-Lamp/dp/B0152WXI0E/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4Q7PXT053J5DN12XZ926

They are the most basic version of the hue bulb, they have full app functionality and can dim in a warm white only light.

They are fine for automating your house without the colour function of the more expensive hue bulbs.

Give it some time though, and the colour will suck you in!!

• Advertisement

They aren't the most basic version of the hue bulb, they have full app functionality and can dim in a warm white only light.

They are fine for automating your house without the colour function of the more expensive hue bulbs.

Give it some time though, and the colour will suck you in!!

I have two rooms set up with a series of Hue fittings. I find that I only use the colours when I'm messing around, which is rare. Most of the time they are on warm white... what i do like is the automation and integration with the rest of my home system.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have two rooms set up with a series of Hue fittings. I find that I only use the colours when I'm messing around, which is rare. Most of the time they are on warm white... what i do like is the automation and integration with the rest of my home system.

For me I'd say it is a little more subtle then that.

We have Hue lamps beside the beds (and behind the TV) and they get used in colour mode there every night as night lights (red being a very calming colour).

My GU10's and bulbs get used very rarely in colour mode, mostly just when we are having a party. For instance had a few friends over last night to watch the rugby, so we set the lights to green :D

However the white ambiance does get used almost daily. Bright white during the day can really help you to concentrate and help with SAD during the dark winter months. Then warm white in the evenings to wind down.

bk wrote: »
    (red being a very calming colour).

I hope you mean some shade of pink or other variations.. Red is an intense angry colour. In fact I remember attending parties in my youth (one or two years ago) where the light bulbs would be painted red for very different reasons often pertaining to chemical enhancements...

In my business we generally stay away from using red in any environment that you spend any time in... It causes anxiety, and in workplaces the use of red increases absenteeism...

Blue is a relaxing and calming colour, but in lighting it is a bit cold and intense... so becomes invigorating.

Yellows and oranges (and some shades of red) are appetite inducers... They are used allot in cafes and restaurants. You'll find yourself unconsciously wanting to eat allot more if you use those colours...

Green is okay, but over long periods of time can cause a sickly feeling... Again we tend to be very specific about what shades of green we use where.

Anyways, I'm gonna have some friends over next weekend... I'll do the countdown thing in the fireworks app & then the lights will be set to a dimmed white for the rest of the evening. Colour changers are fun, particularly in the right place/time... but colour has a big effect on our emotional side even though it is often not registered by our consciousness...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bluefoam, pretty much everything you have said above has found to be wrong be scientists and the opposite is true.

What you are talking about are purely cultural ideals of what different colours mean and often applied to painting colours, but scientists have actually found completely different results from their research:

http://www.naturebright.com/research-news/3-types-of-light-color-and-how-they-affect-our-mood/
    Red Light
    Throughout the last few decades, scientists repeatedly found that red light is the least likely to affect internal clocks. A 2013 Journal of Neuroscience report discussed the effects of red, blue and white lights on hamsters. At the conclusion of the respective study, researchers found that the rodents exposed to red light at night seemed less depressed than those exposed to the other colors of light. We have since found that this is because red light has a lesser effect on circadian rhythms, making it an excellent choice for evening lighting.
    Blue and White Lights
    In the study using hamsters, researchers found that the hamsters exposed to blue or white light experienced considerably more interruptions in their sleep patterns. This is because different light wavelengths affect how the brain reacts. Brain cells tend to be the most sensitive to blue wavelengths and the least sensitive to red ones.

Also red light is the least likely light source of light to effect night vision. The reason why anyone involved in astronomy uses it.

Basically red is the perfect light to use for bed time.

Bluefoam, pretty much everything you have said above has found to be wrong be scientists and the opposite is true.

What you are talking about are purely cultural ideals of what different colours mean and often applied to painting colours, but scientists have actually found completely different results from their research:

http://www.naturebright.com/research-news/3-types-of-light-color-and-how-they-affect-our-mood/

Also red light is the least likely light source of light to effect night vision. The reason why anyone involved in astronomy uses it.

Basically red is the perfect light to use for bed time.

From the same study:
    “If you need a night light in the bathroom or bedroom, it may be better to have one that gives off red light rather than white light,” Dr Bedrosian said.

Basically they are saying that red is best for night vision... not that red is good for you over prolonged periods... You can basically get science to say anything you like, but I've yet to meet a hamster that can give any conclusive results. This is low level science and the results are hardly definitive... The fact that they based their findings on what peoples emotional reactions to light are, based on Hamsters drinking water in various light scenarios is pulling at straws.

BTW, what they have said about blue light more or less correlates with what I said... They were looking for a different conclusion... one that sounds more sciency, but basically the results are similar.

You are right that I was referring to information pertaining to general colours and not specifically light colours, but I did allude to that in my post and gave reasoned examples...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bought my first hue sensor, plan is to install it in my utility room so every time somebody comes in the light will come on. Long term plan is another for landing and another for bathroom perhaps.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bought my first hue sensor, plan is to install it in my utility room so every time somebody comes in the light will come on. Long term plan is another for landing and another for bathroom perhaps.

I'm surprised with myself, but I'm at the same thing since putting one in the bedroom... I've got two more on order & IMO they are one of the stand out functions of the Hue system...

I'm surprised with myself, but I'm at the same thing since putting one in the bedroom... I've got two more on order & IMO they are one of the stand out functions of the Hue system...

Agreed, I have one in my kitchen and one in the box room (my home office), Both rooms I'll enter at odd/random times of the day. Brilliant piece of kit. Especially the fact the kitchen sensor is controlling 10 GU10's & 2 light strips totalling 7m, so you really get the full effect when they come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

4 Hue sensors installed along with a Smartthings sensor that triggers Hue lights.

Also have a couple of recessed door sensors by Aeotec that triggers lights. And finally ane Aeotec multisensor 6 triggering them in my bedroom (it's soon to be mounted outside though when I get around to wiring in the Fibaro relay on the lamp post in the drive).

I haven't set up routines at all. All rooms bar 3 on sensors. One of those is the main bathroom and one is the guest room. That's deliberate though. They have to settle for a remote control dimmer switch or glass touch panel for manual operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

Cabaal wrote: »

I wonder is it possible to trigger different light for different times of the day, e.g. if one of the kids gets up in the middle of the night, the landing light will come on in nightlight mode, but if it's before midnight, the light is brighter for someone coming up the stairs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

OU812 wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible to trigger different light for different times of the day, e.g. if one of the kids gets up in the middle of the night, the landing light will come on in nightlight mode, but if it's before midnight, the light is brighter for someone coming up the stairs??

Absolutely, the standard app will do that. You can set up more again with other apps. iConnectHue for one (iOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Another question about the sensor guys, I have 3 hue bulbs in my kitchen and I disconnected the light switches because herself was annoying me by turning off the lights with the switch and then I was roaring at Alexa not realising there was no power to the lights.

Anyway my echo is in the sitting room because that's where I control my harmony hub from so when herself comes down with the kids in the morning the kitchen is in darkness and she's roaring at Alexa through the sitting room door and more often than not she doesn't understand her and she ends up falling over a high chair or a walker.

So I I know I can install a sensor at the kitchen door which will trigger the lights to come on but does the sensor then overrule my echo, as in if we're sitting down having dinner at the kitchen table will all the lights go off and will we have to move into the catchment area for them to come on again or will I have to ask Alexa to turn them on and if I do then will they go off again after the sensors predertimed time.

Thanks.

You can basically get science to say anything you like, but I've yet to meet a hamster that can give any conclusive results.

Oh, god!! :eek:
    You are right that I was referring to information pertaining to general colours and not specifically light colours, but I did allude to that in my post and gave reasoned examples...

Then why bring it up in a thread about Philips Hue lights! Paint colours have nothing to do with the effects of different light spectrum's and are largely cultural anyway.

Red light is the ideal LIGHT colour to use for night lights, which is exactly how we use it.

Oh, god!! :eek:

Then why bring it up in a thread about Philips Hue lights! Paint colours have nothing to do with the effects of different light spectrum's and are largely cultural anyway.

Red light is the ideal LIGHT colour to use for night lights, which is exactly how we use it.

Great, happy days... enjoy... You believe what you want to, but please don't tell me I'm wrong based on some bull**** hamster research.

You are very helpful to allot of people on the forum & it's obvious you do some research into the subject. But you also have a tendency to try to be authoritative & to react badly when your ideas are brought into question...

The hamster science is flawed... Theories on colour are adaptable to various circumstances whether lit or unlit. But if you were to actually read what I said, I qualified it... So stop getting upset & move on, spend your evenings in your red light, I'm perfectly happy for you to do so. It's definitely not for me, but each to their own.

The hamster science is flawed... Theories on colour are adaptable to various circumstances whether lit or unlit. But if you were to actually read what I said, I qualified it... So stop getting upset & move on, spend your evenings in your red light, I'm perfectly happy for you to do so. It's definitely not for me, but each to their own.

But that is the problem isn't it, you are the one who misread my original post and got all authorive on the subject, going on about how you work in the area and colour paint choices, which again have nothing to do with lighting choices and which are largely cultural.

What I actually said was that I use bright white light during the day as it helps to keep me awake and focused during the day, in particular during dark winter months, then in the evenings I use soft white or even yellow light, often at very reduced lumen output to create a relaxed atmosphere and then I use red lights as bedside lights as night lights, as is widely recommended.

I get "upset" when people misread or misunderstand my post and then go off on a tangent, spreading inaccurate information from a position of "authority".

You basically mixed up information about paint colour choices, with advice about colour wavelenghts of lighting, two very different things.

Blue and white light wavelenghts are the worst choice of lighting at night as they suppress the production of melatonin.

Red lights have the shortest wave length and are thus the least disruptive to the production of melatonin.

The fact that red light also has the least impact on night vision is just an added bonus.

Here is the advice from Harvard Medical School:
    -Use dim red lights for night lights. Red light has the least power to shift circadian rhythm and suppress melatonin.

- If you work a night shift or use a lot of electronic devices at night, consider wearing blue-blocking glasses or installing an app that filters the blue/green wavelength at night.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

• Advertisement

But that is the problem isn't it, you are the one who misread my original post and got all authorive on the subject, going on about how you work in the area and colour paint choices,

I haven't once mentioned paint colours, but you have, three times... You are the one misrepresenting my comments. I suggest you leave it now. BTW, I work with some of the finest lighting Designers in the world, I don't claim to be one of them, but I certainly have access to their knowledge... I trust their work over the hamster science...

BTW, I work with some of the finest lighting Designers in the world, I don't claim to be one of them, but I certainly have access to their knowledge... I trust their work over the hamster science...

And there you go again with the "authoritative" nonsense and belittling of science :rolleyes:

Maybe you could offer some factual sources to back up your claims or counter my claims, rather then just saying you know some people!

Maybe next time you meet them, ask them about the effects of different wave-lenghts of light on melatonin production.

Remember "designers" have to take into account the cultural ideas about lighting and colours when designing for commercial purposes as they want to create a certain atmosphere and/or idea for their clients, which may not match the reality of what science tells us.

For instance a shop might not want to use red light, as it can invoke an idea of a brothel, even though it could be the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I love having the colour red behind the TV it really suits it best and adds to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm on android. The Hue app used to allow me to set the colour of the lights individually, and I'm pretty sure it allowed me to set their brightness individually too. It doesn't seem to allow this anymore. Has anyone else noticed this. I'm using version 2.8.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I'm on android. The Hue app used to allow me to set the colour of the lights individually, and I'm pretty sure it allowed me to set their brightness individually too. It doesn't seem to allow this anymore. Has anyone else noticed this. I'm using version 2.8.0

You still can control them individually. Select a room then the lights tab.

It's probably the newer version of the app,

In iOS there are 2 apps, the original one like the one you mention about individual colour etc...
    And the newer one, you can still do what you want but it's just a little more akward to do.

When in a room on the scenes menu, go to lights and you can adjust each light individually

Ionised wrote: »
    You still can control them individually. Select a room then the lights tab.

There's no lights tab on my version of the app. I select the room and I have three circles on the top: Clour / Whites / Recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

There's no lights tab on my version of the app. I select the room and I have three circles on the top: Clour / Whites / Recipes

I have version 2.8.0 also. If I select the room it defaults to the Scenes tab but at the top of that screen you can select the Lights tab instead. This will give control of individual lights.
    Just wondering now if version is the same. If you go to Settings/About my version is 2.8.0 (129).

• Advertisement

Mystery solved. When I tap the circle on the left side of the line representing the room, it gives me only the three options - colour, lights, recipes. When i tap the middle, it gives me the list of lights, with another tab for scenes.

Advertisement