Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Mystery solved. When I tap the circle on the left side of the line representing the room, it gives me only the three options - colour, lights, recipes. When i tap the middle, it gives me the list of lights, with another tab for scenes.

Ah mystery solved! Happy light footling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

I see Philips are teasing something big Hue related coming soon. Rumoured to be E14 bulbs - which could get REALLY expensive - I've a total of 15 E14 units in my home (5x3) !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

OU812 wrote: »
    I see Philips are teasing something big Hue related coming soon. Rumoured to be E14 bulbs - which could get REALLY expensive - I've a total of 15 E14 units in my home (5x3) !

All my E14 lights were eventually replaced with either B22 or E27.

So being selfish, i home it's something even bigger

Edit:

It is E14 'candle' bulbs

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/philips-hue-white-and-color-ambiance-candle/preview/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Finally !

They announced e14s available from mid April @ €60 each with the ambient white at €35

Pretty hefty pricing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

They really know how to charge alright

Thankfully since I first started moving over to Hue I did away with E14 size lamps, until then I used E14-E27 adaptors.

Sadly though I find myself trawling through light fittings on various websites seeing what sort of candle style fittings they have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The stock app is only average...

What apps/controllers are people using here? Anyone doing their own scripting?

lawred2 wrote: »
    The stock app is only average...

What apps/controllers are people using here? Anyone doing their own scripting?

I mainly use the stock app for all automation, timers etc..

if I want to play around with colours etc I'll use the OnSwitch app (iOS)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I mainly use the stock app for all automation, timers etc..

if I want to play around with colours etc I'll use the OnSwitch app (iOS)

Should have said Android specifically..

Are the programmed timers stored on the hub or is it the phone that's working as the controller?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Should have said Android specifically..

Are the programmed timers stored on the hub or is it the phone that's working as the controller?

They are all stored on the hub (timers, scenes etc), which has a limited memory to hold them all as I frequently run out of space and need to delete scenes/timers before I can create new ones!

I believe OnSwitch is available on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My first Hue system arrived today. Starter pack with the 3 colour bulbs. In an apartment, so any cool things I should get set up? Have the dimmer switch too

My first Hue system arrived today. Starter pack with the 3 colour bulbs. In an apartment, so any cool things I should get set up? Have the dimmer switch too

You can set the dimmer switch up so that the first 5 presses of the on button will recall up to 5 different scenes

i.e.;
    1st press - lights on white
    2nd press - lights on blue
    3rd press - lights on dim white
    4th press - lights on bright concentrate
    5th press - lights on nightlight

I received 2 B22 richer colour bulbs today, they'll go into my 2 living room lamps which had 2 original E27 colour bulbs in them (with B22 adaptors), those E27's have now replaced the 2 original Lux (white only) bulbs in my 2 hallway lamps!

So I've finally done away with all adaptors I was using with various hue bulbs, and added a splash of colour to the hallway!!

I also put 2 unused white only bulbs into the bathroom & ensuite (I can isolate the extraction fans to keep the bulbs energised).

Total active hue bulbs now stands at: 35 (9 colour (B22 & E27), 2 lightstrips (total 7m), 10 GU10 colour, 4 GU10 White Ambiance, 2 White Ambiance (B22), 1 Lux (E27), 6 White only (E27 & B22) & 1 Bloom.
    unused inventory: 1 lightstrip+ with 4x 1m extensions, 2 original Lux bulbs, 2 newer white only bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Hey guys,

Just setup kit for my living room and waiting on bulbs for the bedroom. I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge on the subject but tried playing with the system and just cant figure out some stuff.

I currently have...
    Bridge...Dimmer Switch...2 Bulbs (white only) in the same room. I appreciate the level of detail and expertise I am looking for and thank you in advance for your help.

Scenario:
    I have the 2 bulbs setup as in the same room...I have set them both to light up with the 1st press of the ON button on the dimmer switch.

Problem:
    The brightness of the initial 1st press burns with the power of 1000 suns.

Question:
    Is there a way of setting the dim percentage of the initial 1st ON click to 70%?

Scenario:
    Same as the scenario above, except I would like 1 bulb to come on with the 1st click, then the 2nd bulb to come on with the 2nd click

Problem:
    I can get the 1st Bulb to come on with the 1st click....BUT....The 2nd bulb will also come on in the bulbs "Last State", so it will basically come on in whatever brightness it was last used in.

Question:
    Can I set the 1st ON click to trigger 1 bulb WITHOUT turning on the 2nd Bulb. Then set the 2nd ON click to keep the 1st Bulb on.....and turn on the 2nd bulb?

Scenario:
    I have a Samsung Gear S2 Smartwatch, I bought the Philips Hue App from the Samsung Gear shop. For Some reason I cannot pair the system to the watch. It is having difficulty discovering the Hue Bridge.

I really do appreciate your help.

Regards,

IK09

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IK09 If you have an iPhone or iPad, get the app iConnectHue. It is a power user app for Hue which allows you to do much more powerful programming of your devices. It should allow you to configure both of the above scenarios.

bk wrote: »
    IK09 If you have an iPhone or iPad, get the app iConnectHue. It is a power user app for Hue which allows you to do much more powerful programming of your devices. It should allow you to configure both of the above scenarios.

Im afraid im a Samsung user so its Android for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IK09 wrote: »

Maybe someone else in your family or a friend? It is typically just needed during setup.

A similar app for Android may exist, but I haven't seen one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

IK09 I think you could do what you want with the native app as well (at least I have done similar on the iOS version). Manually set up your lights as you want them and then save this as a scene using the native app. You can save multiple scenes with your various scenarios and then allocate them to 1st,2nd,3rd on press etc.

dam099 wrote: »
    IK09 I think you could do what you want with the native app as well (at least I have done similar on the iOS version). Manually set up your lights as you want them and then save this as a scene using the native app. You can save multiple scenes with your various scenarios and then allocate them to 1st,2nd,3rd on press etc.

Hi Dam,

Ive tried that aswell, and it works provided i have switched the lights off at the wall (on the old light switch) and then use the philips dimmer switch. However, if I cycle through the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th presses. Then press OFF. When I press the 1st ON switch it then lights up the 1st bulb as requested (to full power), but also the 2nd bulb to the last state it was in (which in my case is NightLight).

Its not a major issue but I kind of just want the system to do what i want.

• Advertisement

Another quick question...

I see people have been using the motion sensor to turn on their bathroom lights. How have ye been getting around use of an extractor fan if applicable.

In my bathroom both the extractor fan and light run from the same power switch. Would you need a Smart Extractor Fan for this to work? :pac:

Another quick question...

I see people have been using the motion sensor to turn on their bathroom lights. How have ye been getting around use of an extractor fan if applicable.

In my bathroom both the extractor fan and light run from the same power switch. Would you need a Smart Extractor Fan for this to work? :pac:

I finally just put a hue light into my bathroom as well as into the ensuite (thats it now, every single room in the house has hue), both have an extractor fan though there was an isolation switch for the fan on the ceilings,

The chances are your fan is wired up to the same switch as your light, so an electrician could possible change the single switch to a double (or double to treble) and have the light and the fan on different switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Hi Dam,

Ive tried that aswell, and it works provided i have switched the lights off at the wall (on the old light switch) and then use the philips dimmer switch. However, if I cycle through the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th presses. Then press OFF. When I press the 1st ON switch it then lights up the 1st bulb as requested (to full power), but also the 2nd bulb to the last state it was in (which in my case is NightLight).

Its not a major issue but I kind of just want the system to do what i want.

Old light switch needs to be left turned on the whole time.

You need to cofigure a scene, which sets bulb 1 as on and bulb2 as off?

I have attached 3 images and few steps to try help.
    1) Select a room and set the lights to how you want them. bulb 1 on & bulb 2 off (see "lights.png" as an example)
    2) Go to the 'Scenes' tab and add a new scence using the plus at the bottom, and select "Store current light settings" (see "scenes.png")
    3) Go to the dimmer switch and allocate a scene to the button press. (see "dimmer switch.png". I have scene "watch tv" & "tv" on second button press which controls 2 different groups of bulbs. about 2/3 bulbs in each group)

1) Select a room and set the lights to how you want them. bulb 1 on & bulb 2 off (see "lights.png" as an example)
    2) Go to the 'Scenes' tab and add a new scence using the plus at the bottom, and select "Store current light settings" (see "scenes.png")
    3) Go to the dimmer switch and allocate a scene to the button press. (see "dimmer switch.png". I have scene "watch tv" & "tv" on second button press which controls 2 different groups of bulbs. about 2/3 bulbs in each group)

Great. I will try that when I get home. I think the problem is that I have the original light switch turned to the OFF position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Explained better than me but thats similar to how I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I use All 4 Hue on Android.

Download the free app and if it works for you you can buy the pro version to unlock more features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Has anyone used these, need to start covering over switches and people turning on and off at switch is doing my head in.

https://www.amazon.com/Mitzvah-Family-Magnetic-Switch-Switches/dp/B002WQ2UBM

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Has anyone used these, need to start covering over switches and people turning on and off at switch is doing my head in.

https://www.amazon.com/Mitzvah-Family-Magnetic-Switch-Switches/dp/B002WQ2UBM

They're for US switches (specifically in Jewish households), but would be easy enough to make for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

OU812 wrote: »
    They're for US switches (specifically in Jewish households), but would be easy enough to make for here.

Any alternatives? There's a guy on done deal selling decent switch covers for 25 but hoping for something a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Any alternatives? There's a guy on done deal selling decent switch covers for 25 but hoping for something a bit cheaper.

From the Philips Hue FAQ, I use these:

But might people not accidentally turn off the light via the old light switch? Any way to protect against this?

Yes this can happen, specially when family and friends are visiting and aren't use to it. People use a variety of methods to protect against this.

- Sticky tape over the old light switch. Not very nice looking, but super cheap and easy to do.

- Child safety cover over the light switch. Stops people from just turning off the light switch without putting a lot of effort in, yet still allows you to use the light switch in an emergency. Pretty easy to fit and also to remove in future if you want to return to traditional, non smart lights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabySecurit...dp/B000X1DNIM/

I use one of these over a double dimmer switch in the main room.

- Similar to above, the following are more discrete version of the above for a standard UK switch. Very easy to install and still allow you to use the light switch in an emergency using a paper clip, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-...456Z1G9YN2XCRS

- Remove the switches and plaster over the hole in the wall. While this might be nicer looking, I don't recommend it. It requires a lot of work, depending on your skills maybe even an electrician and plasterer and what happens if you decide to move house later and you want to take your expensive Philips Hue light bulbs with you?

- A less drastic version of the above is to remove the switch, rewire the cables, but cover the old switch hole with a blank faceplate. Makes it easier to undo in future.

Personally I'd recommend living with the Philips Hue for a few months before deciding to go with either of the latter two options.

Advertisement