Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

bk wrote: »
    From the Philips Hue FAQ, I use these:

But might people not accidentally turn off the light via the old light switch? Any way to protect against this?

Yes this can happen, specially when family and friends are visiting and aren't use to it. People use a variety of methods to protect against this.

- Sticky tape over the old light switch. Not very nice looking, but super cheap and easy to do.

- Child safety cover over the light switch. Stops people from just turning off the light switch without putting a lot of effort in, yet still allows you to use the light switch in an emergency. Pretty easy to fit and also to remove in future if you want to return to traditional, non smart lights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabySecurit...dp/B000X1DNIM/

I use one of these over a double dimmer switch in the main room.

- Similar to above, the following are more discrete version of the above for a standard UK switch. Very easy to install and still allow you to use the light switch in an emergency using a paper clip, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-...456Z1G9YN2XCRS

- Remove the switches and plaster over the hole in the wall. While this might be nicer looking, I don't recommend it. It requires a lot of work, depending on your skills maybe even an electrician and plasterer and what happens if you decide to move house later and you want to take your expensive Philips Hue light bulbs with you?

- A less drastic version of the above is to remove the switch, rewire the cables, but cover the old switch hole with a blank faceplate. Makes it easier to undo in future.

Personally I'd recommend living with the Philips Hue for a few months before deciding to go with either of the latter two options.

Hmmmm 25 euro option is probably better than those.

Might take a punt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hmmmm 25 euro option is probably better than those.

Might take a punt.

Can you link us to the €25 option. It is good to share information and experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

From the Philips Hue FAQ, I use these:

But might people not accidentally turn off the light via the old light switch? Any way to protect against this?

Yes this can happen, specially when family and friends are visiting and aren't use to it. People use a variety of methods to protect against this.

- Sticky tape over the old light switch. Not very nice looking, but super cheap and easy to do.

- Child safety cover over the light switch. Stops people from just turning off the light switch without putting a lot of effort in, yet still allows you to use the light switch in an emergency. Pretty easy to fit and also to remove in future if you want to return to traditional, non smart lights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabySecurit...dp/B000X1DNIM/

I use one of these over a double dimmer switch in the main room.

- Similar to above, the following are more discrete version of the above for a standard UK switch. Very easy to install and still allow you to use the light switch in an emergency using a paper clip, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-...456Z1G9YN2XCRS

- Remove the switches and plaster over the hole in the wall. While this might be nicer looking, I don't recommend it. It requires a lot of work, depending on your skills maybe even an electrician and plasterer and what happens if you decide to move house later and you want to take your expensive Philips Hue light bulbs with you?

- A less drastic version of the above is to remove the switch, rewire the cables, but cover the old switch hole with a blank faceplate. Makes it easier to undo in future.

Personally I'd recommend living with the Philips Hue for a few months before deciding to go with either of the latter two options.

The Switchsafe ones were too small for my switches, went with these instead and easy enough to manually switch if you need with the included "switch dabber" (basically a matchstick with no head).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Guard-prevent-switches-leaving-x/dp/B01LFNZRTY/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1491241499&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=cyclaire+switch

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Since GaryCocs hasn't come back to us yet, then I did a bit of digging and found what he was on about, looks pretty nice:

https://www.donedeal.ie/lighting-for-sale/hue-solution/14851958

I say this is 3D printed based on a design I've seen elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Since GaryCocs hasn't come back to us yet, then I did a bit of digging and found what he was on about, looks pretty nice:

One serious issue there you must use an earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

That's the one, seems like a decent guy to deal with.

There's another 3d template about but this one gives the access to the switch. Will give it a punt for a few switches I have about.

Not sure about the earth thing etc. The earth will be available for the switch at the back in my case.

One serious issue there you must use an earth.

These simply sit on-top of the original light switch, the original light switch is still there, sitting below the Hue switch. Look at pictures 2 and 3 on donedeal and you will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dam099 wrote: »
    The Switchsafe ones were too small for my switches, went with these instead and easy enough to manually switch if you need with the included "switch dabber" (basically a matchstick with no head).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Guard-prevent-switches-leaving-x/dp/B01LFNZRTY/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1491241499&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=cyclaire+switch

do they only come in black? :confused:

lawred2 wrote: »
    do they only come in black? :confused:

There are white ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Those ones (Switchsafe) are a different brand and smaller than the ones I linked to in the post lawred2 quoted. My link was to the white Switchguard ones, just the picture was black, seems they are using the same promo shots for both colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There's a new app update featuring Hue Labs, which contains a lot of the features people have been crying out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There's a new app update featuring Hue Labs, which contains a lot of the features people have been crying out for.

On Android? Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

On Android? Got a link?

WHAT'S NEW

New stuff:
    - Didn’t like to update your Hue system while sitting in the dark? You can now postpone software updates and first turn on your lights.
    - Added “What’s new†and "Hue labs" to the “Explore†tab for you to explore new features.
    - Added support for the new Philips Hue E14 white ambiance and white and color Ambiance candles.
    Improved stuff:
    - Various bug fixes and stability improvements.
    - We’re investigating issues with the “Home & Away†routine and hope to fix this soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Caillte wrote: »
    WHAT'S NEW

New stuff:
    - Didn’t like to update your Hue system while sitting in the dark? You can now postpone software updates and first turn on your lights.

About time. Nothing worse than opening the app after dark to see that it requires an update and you can't do anything.

matrim wrote: »
    About time. Nothing worse than opening the app after dark to see that it requires an update and you can't do anything.

I never had to do an update upon opening the app, it always let me do it when I wanted (iOS)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capslock

Hi all, just wondering what are the best paid apps for Hue and are they worth it? I have three colour bulbs as well as two Iris lamps in the sitting room. I enjoy the Hue app, but is there anything better I should consider? Thanks!

Capslock wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering what are the best paid apps for Hue and are they worth it? I have three colour bulbs as well as two Iris lamps in the sitting room. I enjoy the Hue app, but is there anything better I should consider? Thanks!

You could look at Hue Disco, Hueloween (obviously only really good at Halloween), there are a lot of good free ones aswell

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You could look at Hue Disco, Hueloween (obviously only really good at Halloween), there are a lot of good free ones aswell

Used that at Halloween, the tricker treaters and parents were impressed,
    Will have more fun next time with the Hue Go outside and some better speakers :D

Cabaal wrote: »
    Will have more fun next time with the Hue Go outside and some better speakers :D

A Bluetooth speaker out a room window above your front door will do the trick!!

A Hue Go would be a very good addition though, raging now I didn't get one when they were only £46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Cabaal wrote: »

Some kids were too scared to come to my door last year with teh music and lights. A hue Go outside as well is a fantastic idea.

iOS only by the looks of it

I have it on Android. Might not be the exact same but its still pretty good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.ijsdesign.huehalloween&hl=en

Its there alright (just has a slightly different name)

MediaVibe Hue Apps

GXTZG3dlNF4xdtwVh7CBDW6L48u7LUzkFUYVBYCW7onGL4uz8YxhZ37pTa92f51LdeA=w300

I have it on Android. Might not be the exact same but its still pretty good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.ijsdesign.huehalloween&hl=en

looks identical to the iOS version, and the same crowd have a whole suite of apps for both iOS & Android

great :)

I'll keep that ready

great :)

I'll keep that ready

It really is great craic, the kids around my way love it, a few were even too scared to come up the driveway!!

It really is great craic, the kids around my way love it, a few were even too scared to come up the driveway!!

Where did you put the lights? Which lights did you use?

Currently all my lights hue lights are spots in the hallway with one pendant light also in the hall

Currently all my lights hue lights are spots in the hallway with one pendant light also in the hall

I have pendanytlights so put 2 in the 2 front bedrooms upstairs. Also had one in the living room window and the light just above the door. Had the music blaring out from an upstairs room. Next year ill do the same and also put the Hue go outisde.

• Advertisement

I used 2 colour bulbs (both from my sitting room, but with one placed in the hallway (I've now colour bulbs in the hallway too) to give me the effects in 2 rooms).

You don't really want to select loads of bulbs, as each time you trigger an effect, it happens on a random bulb of the bulbs you've selected, so by me only using 2 bulbs, I knew when i triggered an effect it was only going to happen on 1 of the 2 bulbs selected, either the hallway, or the sitting room (the sitting room lamp was placed over by the window).

Advertisement