Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You could always change the fittings to allow them to fit.

There is a type of GU10 fitting where the holder and the electrical connection are 2 different parts, independent from each other. and the space for the bulb is only limited by the amount of space between the ceiling, and the floor above it, which in 99.99999% of situations should be more than adequate

Thanks, Unfortunately, I think the recess space is the problem... When insert the bulb into the connection it is no problem fitting and the hole is wide enough but when you push the bulb back up it leaves sticks out a couple of centimeters -pretty much like it needs more space above and inside the recess.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Got myself an E27 colour bulb to replace the standard white kit bulb for my desk. If only the light strip was on sale now,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You could always change the fittings to allow them to fit.

There is a type of GU10 fitting where the holder and the electrical connection are 2 different parts, independent from each other. and the space for the bulb is only limited by the amount of space between the ceiling, and the floor above it, which in 99.99999% of situations should be more than adequate

I'm guessing you have something like this, where the space is limited, and a Hue GU10 colour won't fit. A Hue GU10 White
    Ambiance will fit though as they are identical in size to regular GU10 bulbs

Before I order mine, will they fit in a light fittings like this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bye-nIe8X85HdURuZWpVWks1Q2c/view?usp=drivesdk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Uriel. wrote: »
    I bought 3 colour gu10s recently and unfortunately they don't fit into the fixing... They recess is not deep enough and they stick down.... Grrr.

But there's plenty of options in this sale... Pity I'm broke....

This happened in my attic, to be honest i cut the back off the cup holders. the backs are still there but push up the wire that bit further so they fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thanks, Unfortunately, I think the recess space is the problem... When insert the bulb into the connection it is no problem fitting and the hole is wide enough but when you push the bulb back up it leaves sticks out a couple of centimeters -pretty much like it needs more space above and inside the recess.

Are you sure?, I've just edited my post showing the type of fitting I believe you might have (I have 6 in my attic, and they won't take the colour bulb either)

I call them the top hat fittings.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Before I order mine, will they fit in a light fittings like this?

The Hue GU10 White Ambiance bulbs are identical in size to any regular GU10 bulb.

I posted a side by side comparison photo a few months/weeks back in this thread I believe,

Here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103484158&postcount=1067

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

this happened in our attic - when we were getting the loft converted I gave the electrician the bulbs and he just cut the backs off the fittings - the bulbs are fixed in place by the retaining clips

The Hue GU10 White Ambiance bulbs are identical in size to any regular GU10 bulb.

I posted a side by side comparison photo a few months/weeks back in this thread I believe,

Here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103484158&postcount=1067

Cheers, looks like it should fit. I added a link on my original post.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Just saw that, (I'm actually considering a similar style fitting for my hallway)
    I'd be 99.9999% sure any Hue GU10 will fit in that fitting.

• Advertisement

This happened in my attic, to be honest i cut the back off the cup holders. the backs are still there but push up the wire that bit further so they fit.
    Are you sure?, I've just edited my post showing the type of fitting I believe you might have (I have 6 in my attic, and they won't take the colour bulb either)

I call them the top hat fittings.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    this happened in our attic - when we were getting the loft converted I gave the electrician the bulbs and he just cut the backs of fittings - the bulbs are fixed in place by the retaining clips

Thanks folks,
    I am not sure what the holder actually looks like, so I will have to check that out tonight. I know the surrounding on the ceiling requires those metal clips over the bulb (mpgLPS4XZZvtRlsAgox9JyA.jpg

Edit: I know when pushing the bulb back up it feels kinda springy, if that helps at all :(

Thanks folks,
    I am not sure what the holder actually looks like, so I will have to check that out tonight. I know the surrounding on the ceiling requires those metal clips over the bulb (mpgLPS4XZZvtRlsAgox9JyA.jpg

those circlips are usually associated with etc top hat style of holder which is limited in space, so you'd need to either replace the fitting (there are not expensive), or do as the lads above did and just cut the back off the fitting to allow the larger colour bulb to protrude out the back.

edit, if it's springy, you definitely have the top hat type of holder.

those circlips are usually associated with etc top hat style of holder which is limited in space, so you'd need to either replace the fitting (there are not expensive), or do as the lads above did and just cut the back off the fitting to allow the larger colour bulb to protrude out the back.

edit, if it's springy, you definitely have the top hat type of holder.

Thanks a mill for your help.
    I'll get the hacksaw out at the weekend :D
    Have 3 colour Philips sitting in the box gathering dust for the last month...

I used a dremel to cut mine, there was holes in back of the cup anyways so i figure cutting them off wasnt going to make much of a difference.

just be careful cutting around the wires etc... the lads above might be able to provide better tips as they've actually done the job.

Also, check the voltage of your outgoing lights, as they could be 12v.
    It's no big deal, it just means removing the little transformer at each fitting. (I had to do this in my kitchen).

Haha yeh make sure you turn off the power at the fuse box to your lights before you go at them with a dremel\hacksaw!

I never thought about the transformer thing, whats that about? im looking to put 5 gu10s in my sun room. where is this transformer located? in each socket?

Thanks

Just saw that, (I'm actually considering a similar style fitting for my hallway)
    I'd be 99.9999% sure any Hue GU10 will fit in that fitting.

We got that in IKEA. The top of the bulbs hang out so it should be fine (I hope :pac:)

Haha yeh make sure you turn off the power at the fuse box to your lights before you go at them with a dremel\hacksaw!

I never thought about the transformer thing, whats that about? im looking to put 5 gu10s in my sun room. where is this transformer located? in each socket?

Thanks

my 10 kitchen spots were all 12v. So at each individual light, there was 230v mains supplying a little transformer, which then fed 12v to the GU4 light fittings.

I simply removed the transformer at each fitting and wired the mains directly up to the (new GU10) fittings I'd bought from eBay.

Just pop out one of your original bulbs, and see what voltage it is, if its 12v, you should have a little transformer up there somewhere, if it's 230v, you're grand, they are wired directly from the mains.

Thanks Andy, ill have to have a look at that.

The few bits I ordered from the last Amazon sale arrived today.

A sensor (maybe put it in a bathroom? or on the landing)
    GU10 White Ambiance twin pack (need another 4 to change out the 6 regulars in the attic to hue)
    B22 colour (this will probably replace the B22 White Ambiance in the sitting room centre light (2 lamps in the sitting room are already colour))

The list of spares is now adding up! I still have an unopened light strip plus with 4 1m extensions, and not a clue where to put it!
    I'll give the rest of the white only & lux bulbs down to my mother, as I've set up my old bridge in her house with about 3 white only bulbs, as she likes her lights on timers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The few bits I ordered from the last Amazon sale arrived today.

A sensor (maybe put it in a bathroom? or on the landing)
    GU10 White Ambiance twin pack (need another 4 to change out the 6 regulars in the attic to hue)
    B22 colour (this will probably replace the B22 White Ambiance in the sitting room centre light (2 lamps in the sitting room are already colour))

The list of spares is now adding up! I still have an unopened light strip plus with 4 1m extensions, and not a clue where to put it!
    I'll give the rest of the white only & lux bulbs down to my mother, as I've set up my old bridge in her house with about 3 white only bulbs, as she likes her lights on timers.

Light strips in bedroom under bed would look good or under counters in kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I use my lightstrips inside bookcases and love them

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Looking for a bit of advice here if anyone can offer it. I have just got a new TV unit with bookcase similar to the one in the attached photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hYCgEmxaA47EVFe03

(I will upload a photo of actual unit installed tomorrow)

Would love to get use Hue strip lights on it as opposed to a standard light setup. How would I go about it? Presumed kit needed wood be Hue Bridge/ Starter kit along with a few extension strips.
    Is it possible to light each shelf unit as there is a couple inch gap left behind each shelf to allow for lights?

Any advice appreciated..

Tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

tyres wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice here if anyone can offer it. I have just got a new TV unit with bookcase similar to the one in the attached photo.

Would love to get use Hue strip lights on it as opposed to a standard light setup. How would I go about it? Presumed kit needed wood be Hue Bridge/ Starter kit along with a few extension strips.
    Is it possible to light each shelf unit as there is a couple inch gap left behind each shelf to allow for lights?

Any advice appreciated..

Tyres

Should definitely be doable, possibley even with a single lightstrip+extensions as they go up to 10m. Are there holes between the left, centre, and right sections? As in can you feed one continuous strip through it all.

Also, if you’re in any way comfortable soldering you can do splits of the strip and use CAT5 between lengths, could create quite a neat and tidy setup for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

tyres wrote: »

Any advice appreciated..

Tyres

Love that unit. Would love to have one like it.

Honestly, it's doable but you're letting yourself in for a world of pain trying to use hue on that. the shelves (apart from the centre) are very small & there's be a whole lot of cutting & joining of strips.

If it was me, I'd use ordinary inexpensive LED strips on the short shelves & use one or two (one up, one down) behind the TV as a feature. Alternatively, get yourself an ambilight TV & run a continious strip along the top of the unit lighting upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Further to my post last night I have attached a couple of photos of the actual unit. Built and installed by my father in law and would like to do it justice as he has done a serious job on it.

He has left it that lights can be fitted to it with a cavity in place so that wires can be fed to switch on the side of the unit, switch not visible in photo but is on the left side.
    Don't mind spending a few quid to light it as I think it will look pretty class with LED striplights illuminating the tongue and groove paneling on the back of the unit.

Dimmable switch a must so that it can provide soft lighting to rest of room also...so question now is Hue striplights that will allow total control or 5m striplight reel as suggested??

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi, have an unopened motion sensor spare that I'd consider swapping for hue stuff if anyone has any excess stock which is winding up OH!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where is the best place for buying these? I got three bulb and bridge starter pack on the prime deal there recently but am reeling at the prices to add to the setup. I've 6 GU10s in the kitchen that I'd love to add but at €60 per bulb it just can't be justified. I'd also like to add some lightstrips but they're expensive also. Has anyone added any of the Innr stuff to their setups? How do they find them?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Where is the best place for buying these

Amazon is pretty much your best bet, just keep an eye out for deals, though the deals only allow you to get 1 of each item. having said that the starter kits are excellent value now. GU10 starter kit (£134) works out at only €49 per bulb (and you get an additional bridge, which you can try and sell).

Argos from time to time have some discounts, but they haven't been great lately, and Argos hold very little hue stock in their shops, it usually has to be ordered in. (note though that the Argos non sale prices are obnoxiously high compared to Amazon)

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I've 6 GU10s in the kitchen that I'd love to add but at €60 per bulb it just can't be justified.

I'm sure I said that way back at the beginning of this thread (though I've 10 spots in my kitchen).

I've since installed 10 colour Hue GU10's!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm sure I said that way back at the beginning of this thread (though I've 10 spots in my kitchen).

I've since installed 10 colour Hue GU10's!!!

Did you ever post that photo Andy?

Advertisement