Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Bloody Hue and their 3 for 2 deals!!

I've just ordered 4 more White Ambiance GU10's, as well as 2 colour E14's

The 4 GU10's will probably go with the previous 2 I bought in an earlier sale, and go into the attic to replace 6 non smart LED GU10's (the room will have 9 hue bulbs and its only a guest room!)

the 2 E14's, I'm not sure yet, I have a ceiling light (not unlike this) in my hallway with halogen bulbs in it that I've never liked, and although the light is never used, i'd like a nicer fitting there, so perhaps the E14's will sit idle for a while until I find a suitable light fitting. (and more sales of the E14 occur)

I could also wait for the right fitting and possibly replace the sitting room centre light. It was originally a 5 bulb (E14) fitting, but I didn't really like it so replaced it with a pendant/shade and a colour B22. I'd love to have maybe 5/6 colour E14 bulbs if the right fitting came up.

We are reaching the stage where we might need to hold an intervention for you.

Im curious if you manage everything through one bridge. Mine is full and i dont have nearly as much as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Im curious if you manage everything through one bridge. Mine is full and i dont have nearly as much as you.

when I add the 6 GU10's in the attic, I'll be up to 42 active bulbs (I still have a spare Light Strip+, white only B22, White Ambiance B22, (and now 2 colour E14's) and a sensor)
    *edit: oh and the 2 more Blooms that I ordered ages ago from Amazon for the very low price that still haven't arrived yet!

I think the key for space is deleting unused/unwanted scenes that clog up space on the Bridge

Every time you create a room, the app loads the default scenes for that room (for each & every room), if theres a colour bulb in the room, there are even more default scenes added. so go in to the scenes menu for each room and delete a load of scenes that you don't need and it should clear up a bit of space.

Also, try to refine the amount of routines you have. at one stage I must of had about 20+ various routines set at all sorts of times. With app updates and new features, I've since reduced it down to about 6/7 scenes overall. Again, its saving me space on the bridge.

Definite wish list for Gen 3 bridge is way more memory for storing scenes/routines etc...

when I add the 6 GU10's in the attic, I'll be up to 42 active bulbs (I still have a spare Light Strip+, white only B22, White Ambiance B22, (and now 2 colour E14's) and a sensor)

I think the key for space is deleting unused/unwanted scenes that clog up space on the Bridge

Every time you create a room, the app loads the default scenes for that room (for each & every room), if theres a colour bulb in the room, there are even more default scenes added. so go in to the scenes menu for each room and delete a load of scenes that you don't need and it should clear up a bit of space.

Also, try to refine the amount of routines you have. at one stage I must of had about 20+ various routines set at all sorts of times. With app updates and new features, I've since reduced it down to about 6/7 scenes overall. Again, its saving me space on the bridge.

Definite wish list for Gen 3 bridge is way more memory for storing scenes/routines etc...

I deleted all the scenes and cleared all the routines and it was still full.

I think my problem is the dimmer switches. I have 10 switches and each one creates 12 rules. The bridge is limited to 200 rules at the moment.

I deleted all the scenes and cleared all the routines and it was still full.

I think my problem is the dimmer switches. I have 10 switches and each one creates 12 rules. The bridge is limited to 200 rules at the moment.

I have 6 dimmers, and have very few issues anymore!

Do you also have the original Hue App? I still do, and deleted a load of scenes from that and it seemed to also help!

I have 6 dimmers, and have very few issues anymore!

Do you also have the original Hue App? I still do, and deleted a load of scenes from that and it seemed to also help!

I don't, the new update to the app shows you programmes from other apps now as well. I actually sorted my problem in the end by deleting some of the rules for the dimmers. I didnt need 5 options for the ON button.

I was just curious how you managed since you have so much. But one dimmer is teh same as 10 bulbs for the bridge as far as i can see so it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can two separate motion sensors control one room?

The way I have it setup is that I have one sensor on the front door which turns on the hall and landing lights (they are grouped) when you enter the hall.

I have put another sensor at the top of the landing outside our bedroom so that when someone gets up in the morning it turns on the same set if lights.

But the sensor outside the bedroom won't turn on the lights?!?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Can two separate motion sensors control one room?

The way I have it setup is that I have one sensor on the front door which turns on the hall and landing lights (they are grouped) when you enter the hall.

I have put another sensor at the top of the landing outside our bedroom so that when someone gets up in the morning it turns on the same set if lights.

But the sensor outside the bedroom won't turn on the lights?!?

You can, there is an option in hue labs to do this as far as i know. Its called sensor couple

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Where do people find the cheapest place to pick up bulbs/starter pack is in Dublin at the moment or is there a big saving somewhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Where do people find the cheapest place to pick up bulbs/starter pack is in Dublin at the moment or is there a big saving somewhere online?

theres often discounts on the various amazons , and black friday is coming up.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

sdevine89 wrote: »

Definitely at this stage wait for black Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Definitely at this stage wait for black Friday.

If you wanted similar functionality but cheaper you could start with some of the Ikea stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I'm using a combination on Innr lights and Philips lights, the Innr lights are a lot cheaper and work well with Alexa and Philips sensors and hub

Gmol wrote: »
    I'm using a combination on Innr lights and Philips lights, the Innr lights are a lot cheaper and work well with Alexa and Philips sensors and hub

What kind of Innr bulbs do you have? colour/white only?

What kind of Innr bulbs do you have? colour/white only?

I've 14 of the G10, had to return 6 as they were making a screeching noise when not on. Aftersales service was top notch though and they replaced them very quickly.

They are the white ones

Have 3 of the B22 ones which are grand,

Have no Philips G10 or B22 to compare them against so can't say of they are as good as them but they do the trick

Will be picking up some of their E14 white bulbs over Christmas as they haven't let me down so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Weird thing is, going by the current pricing on Amazon, the Innr GU10 are only cheaper if you buy the 4 pack. The single and double pack are exactly the same as the equivalent Hue GU10! That is for white ambiance ones.

bk wrote: »
    Weird thing is, going by the current pricing on Amazon, the Innr GU10 are only cheaper if you buy the 4 pack. The single and double pack are exactly the same as the equivalent Hue GU10! That is for white ambiance ones.

Hi there,
    I was buying the 4 pack in my case.
    For the individual ones I would go with the Philips ie if you were looking for 1 or 2. Trying to save the pennies on an expensive hobby!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi there,
    I was buying the 4 pack in my case.
    For the individual ones I would go with the Philips ie if you were looking for 1 or 2. Trying to save the pennies on an expensive hobby!!

Yup, I've just got two GU10's in the entire house to replace, which is why I was looking and yup a very expensive hobby :D

Yup, I've just got two GU10's in the entire house to replace, which is why I was looking and yup a very expensive hobby :D

Probably worth sticking with the Philips so, maybe wait for Black Friday to come round.
    I have a another Philip Go and a couple of sensors on my wish list for Christmas. Think that might be it for me then!!!:D

Oh forgot the 6 E14 bulbs!!!

Probably worth sticking with the Philips so, maybe wait for Black Friday to come round.
    I have a another Philip Go and a couple of sensors on my wish list for Christmas. Think that might be it for me then!!!:D

Yup, I'm waiting for the black friday sales. I "need":
    - 2 x GU10 (for hall)
    - Another sensor (looks like I need two sensors to cover the hall).
    - Maybe another Hue remote to improve light option controls in the toilet.

Also I've a big fancy light to deal with in the kitchen, think I'll go with a Xiomai switch to get control of that.

- 2 x GU10 (for hall)
    - Another sensor (looks like I need two sensors to cover the hall).
    - Maybe another Hue remote to improve light option controls in the toilet.

Also I've a big fancy light to deal with in the kitchen, think I'll go with a Xiomai switch to get control of that.

them 'needs' :D

The missus hates them but I point out her ESB is going down saving a fair few quid as there's a tendency to leave lights on all over the place!!

• Advertisement

I need absolutely nothing, but silly me will probably buy a sh1t ton more bulbs if the sales are decent enough!!

(when the 4 GU10's arrive that I ordered earlier this week, that'll be 20 Hue GU10's alone (10 colour & 10 White Ambiance))

Thankfully I literally have nowhere else they can be installed (unless I start replacing single bulb pentant lights with multi bulb fittings!

When is Black Friday btw? (I could really do with a power cut that day!!)

The missus hates them but I point out her ESB is going down saving a fair few quid as there's a tendency to leave lights on all over the place!!

My GF was the one who bought me the starter pack 4 years ago, so although my obsession with HUE drives her a bit crazy at times, I always point her to the fact that she started it!

I've definitely noticed my bills reducing by simply going 'all LED',

add to that the routines feature, and no matter what light gets left on anywhere in the house, I have a master routine (in the original Hue app) that shuts every light off at midnight if its still somehow on.

I need absolutely nothing, but silly me will probably buy a sh1t ton more bulbs if the sales are decent enough!!

(when the 4 GU10's arrive that I ordered earlier this week, that'll be 20 Hue GU10's alone (10 colour & 10 White Ambiance))

Thankfully I literally have nowhere else they can be installed (unless I start replacing single bulb pentant lights with multi bulb fittings!

When is Black Friday btw? (I could really do with a power cut that day!!)

I could do with another 8 G10s and 2 more E14s in addition to the other stuff but would then need sensors too, I think I'm drawing a line and won't get the 8 G10s (though ask me in a year)

I could do with another 8 G10s and 2 more E14s in addition to the other stuff but would then need sensors too, I think I'm drawing a line and won't get the 8 G10s (though ask me in a year)

Yeah I swore blind at the beginning of this thread that I couldn't justify putting 10 colour GU10's in my kitchen.

Scroll forward a few months worth of pages and you'll see I have 10 colour GU10's in my kitchen, at a cost of £510 - fcuking madness Ted!!

them 'needs' :D

Surprisingly my missus actually loves a lot of my smart home toys, after initial reservations and now encourages me to get more.

We were away on holidays and she mentioned that she missed GHome! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Do you mean replace your wall switch with A Xiomai switch? What one are you looking at?

matrim wrote: »
    Do you mean replace your wall switch with A Xiomai switch? What one are you looking at?

I'm thinking of getting this one:
    https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html

Obviously I'd also have to get the Xiaomi hub (some day I'll remember how to spell this companies name!). But that is ok, as I was thinking of getting that anyway as a cheap smart DIY home security system.

Also it obviously won't work with the overall Hue environment, but that is ok for this particular location. I'm thinking of setting up home assistant, so I can tie it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm thinking of getting this one:
    https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html

Obviously I'd also have to get the Xiaomi hub (some day I'll remember how to spell this companies name!). But that is ok, as I was thinking of getting that anyway as a cheap smart DIY home security system.

Also it obviously won't work with the overall Hue environment, but that is ok for this particular location. I'm thinking of setting up home assistant, so I can tie it all together.

About to pull the trigger on some Xiaomi kit including that Wall switch and will also be moving to Home Assistant instead of Smart things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:

It's a terrible pity Philips don't add a universal inline switch

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    It's a terrible pity Philips don't add a universal inline switch

Yes, it really is the one and only thing missing from their great product range. (well they could do smart plugs, etc. too).

Advertisement