Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Great deals now on Amazin,

E27/B22 starter pack (richer colours) only £90
    GU10 starter pack only £90

2 Light Strips & 2 White Ambiance GU10’s only £100

I picked up the B22 starter pack even though I only need 2 of the bulbs! At £30 each its too good to turn down!

I'd like to get started with Hue lights. Is the White in B22 colour bulbs as good as just the regular hue White bulbs? I'm not too sure if I'll use the colours much but I'd like the option to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd like to get started with Hue lights. Is the White in B22 colour bulbs as good as just the regular hue White bulbs? I'm not too sure if I'll use the colours much but I'd like the option to.

Yes, there are 3 types of Hue bulb

White only (warm white) (basic entry level) come in B22 & E27
    White Ambiance (warm to cold whites) (mid range level) come in B22/E27 & GU10
    White & Colour Ambiance (as above but with full colour also) (top range level which do everything the other 2 types do plus all colours) come in B22/E27 & GU10

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Great deals now on Amazin,

E27/B22 starter pack (richer colours) only £90
    GU10 starter pack only £90

2 Light Strips & 2 White Ambiance GU10’s only £100

I picked up the B22 starter pack even though I only need 2 of the bulbs! At £30 each its too good to turn down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hmmm thought the Hue starter kit would drop more than £49.99?

I have no need of the colours, just need white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting Home Automation Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    £32.39

2 of Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting 2 m Lightstrip Plus LED Kit (Includes 1 x 2 m LED Lighstrip Plus, 1 x Power Adapter), Works with Alexa
    £37.50

Philips Hue White Ambience Personal Wireless Lighting 2 x 5.5 W GU10 LED Twin Pack Spot Lights, Perfect Fit, Apple HomeKit Enabled, Works with Alexa
    £24.99

2 of Philips Hue White Ambience Personal Wireless Lighting 2 x 5.5 W GU10 LED Twin Pack Spot Lights, Perfect Fit, Apple HomeKit Enabled, Works with Alexa
    £28.80

Had a £150 voucher, so it only cost me £45 on the Credit card

Might stick the lightstrips aound the back of the TV. Anyone do this already?

BobbyT28

BobbyT28

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    hmmm thought the Hue starter kit would drop more than £49.99?

I have no need of the colours, just need white

There won’t be many deals then today on Amazon for you unfortunately as it seems all the deals are for colour or ambiance bulbs.

Your best bet is to buy white only bulbs (which are still reasonably cheap), and pick up a spare hub off someone here who’s bought multiple starter kits!! (A guy in the bargain alerts thread bought 4 starter kits, so he’ll have spare hubs to sell/give away)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There won’t be many deals then today for you unfortunately as it seems all the deals are for colour or ambiance bulbs.

Your best bet is to buy white only bulbs, and pick up a spare hub off someone here who’s bought multiple starter kits!! (A guy in the bargain alerts thread bought 4 starter kits, so he’ll have spare hubs to sell/give away)

Cool. I mean £49 isn't too bad, just thought it might drop more ;)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Cool. I mean £49 isn't too bad, just thought it might drop more ;)

It seems like their being clever this year and doing the deals on bundles, not the individual bulbs etc,, only the big earners.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Deals aren’t great at all, was considering moving a few main bulbs to colour, more sensors etc but all the deals coming with useless hub is annoying.

copacetic wrote: »
    Deals aren’t great at all, was considering moving a few main bulbs to colour, more sensors etc but all the deals coming with useless hub is annoying.

Forget about the hub, it’s effectively free!

Their basically selling a 3 pack of colour bulbs for £90, that’s £30 each!!

Best price before today was a colour twin pack for £85, so an extra £5 and your getting another bulb!!

Or else look at it like they’ve gone from £42.50 down to £30 each (just bought in multiples), that’s pretty decent savings per bulb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 nlassai

Why is that there are no B22 starter kits in white.( like E27 starter kit for £49.99). Are they generally expensive than the E27 ones? I'm a starter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Stupid question..do the colour hue bulbs also do plain "white"? I am about to get a starter pack opn amazon but they wife isnt too keen in the coloured ones...I assumed they would also do a "normal" colour but not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ludo wrote: »
    Stupid question..do the colour hue bulbs also do plain "white"? I am about to get a starter pack opn amazon but they wife isnt too keen in the coloured ones...I assumed they would also do a "normal" colour but not sure now.

Yes, they do white.

Ludo wrote: »

White only bulbs - Warm (standard yellowish bulb) white
    White Ambiance Bulbs - Warm to cold whites (yellowish to blueish whites) Here is a post with a photo of somewhite Ambiance GU10' s in warm white and then cold white
    Colour Ambiance bulbs - (Warm to cold whites like above as well as all the colours)
    There are 3 main types of Hue bulb;

White only - warm white only (the most basic version with only dimmable capability, but still have all the other features are available such as remotes, dimmers, sensors, app control etc..) - these are currently only available in B22 & E27 size bulb

White Ambiance - gives light from warm to cold white and everything in between. These are capable of running the light recipes that you might see/hear me quoting in the thread (Relax, Read, Energise & Concentrate)) they are the 4 main/primary hue recipes available, and great for instance in the early evening (dusk) to use a concentrate/energise recipe, as it almost mimics natural daylight, then later in the evening fade into a read/relax recipe which is better for that warmer cosy light you might want when relaxing. these bulbs are available in B22, E27 & GU10, they are also available built into some of the more expensive Hue lights that are all in one offerings (Phoenix as well as some other very expensive lights)

White & Colour Ambiance - these are the top range lights, they do everything the white ambiance lights do, but with the addition of colour as well - these are available in B22, E27, GU10 & Lightstrip (and possibly Iris)

The light strip plus is White & colour ambiance (I believe the original Friends of Hue light strip was colour only, like the Bloom), the bloom is colour only (doesn't do the white ambiance colours, but still does a warm yellow), and I'm not sure about the Iris as I don't have one, but from what others have said, they do do white & colour ambiance

Have a look at this pic, it's a colour bulb box, notice the 2 lines on the left, top one being white ambiance colours available, bottom one being the colours available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks guys...thats what I figured...just the wife made me start doubting it. Ordered....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bought the starter kit with 3 colour bulbs even though Im only looking for one bulb.

adox wrote: »
    Bought the starter kit with 3 colour bulbs even though Im only looking for one bulb.

Its too good a price to pass up on!

I'll use 2 of the B22's in the starter pack I ordered, and end up with a spare one.

1 will replace an E27 colour in my office currently being used with an adaptor, that E27 colour will then replace a white only in the bathroom, and the 2nd B22 will replace a White Ambiance B22 in the master bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    2 of Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting 2 m Lightstrip Plus LED Kit (Includes 1 x 2 m LED Lighstrip Plus, 1 x Power Adapter), Works with Alexa
    £37.50

Can you post a link - that's showing as £69.99 to me (down from £109.98) for the 2m one?
    EDIT or £59.99 for the one without the bridge

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Forget about the hub, it’s effectively free!

Their basically selling a 3 pack of colour bulbs for £90, that’s £30 each!!

Best price before today was a colour twin pack for £85, so an extra £5 and your getting another bulb!!

Or else look at it like they’ve gone from £42.50 down to £30 each (just bought in multiples), that’s pretty decent savings per bulb

You sir are an enabler! Got the 3 bulb set to replace Osram bulbs in hall, landing and living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bought my 1st batch of gu10s.

This is very addictive.

Is the light strips at a good price??

• Advertisement

Bought my 1st batch of gu10s.

This is very addictive.

Is the light strips at a good price??

Yes, in the deal where you get 2 light strips and 2 white ambiance GU10’s. All in it’s a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes, in the deal where you get 2 light strips and 2 white ambiance GU10’s. All in it’s a good deal

Have you a link didn't see it??

Have you a link didn't see it??

On phone now but it was posted in the BA thread in the early hours of this morning

Or else just search amazon’s Black Friday page for Hue

B22 starter kit ordered at about 4am has just been dispatched!!

BOOM!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Bought 4 GU10 starter kit & 3 colour E27 starter kit on Amazon UK.
    Have spare Hub now, probably give it to parents.

ongarite wrote: »
    Bought 4 GU10 starter kit & 3 colour E27 starter kit on Amazon UK.
    Have spare Hub now, probably give it to parents.

My mother has my gen 1 hub, and will most likely get the new hub that’s on its way, and over the last few months I’ve given her 6 white only bulbs, and have them all set on routines and she loves them!!

I’ll keep adding to her set up as well if the deals are there, example, if I need a dimmer switch (£20), I’ll get the dimmer set for £25 which is a dimmer and a white only bulb, meaning the bulb is only £5, and that’s almost regular LED bulb price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm looking for 6 * E14 Hue colour, best price I seem to see is to buy them individually at £40 each.

Also looking for 4 * GU10 Hue colour, again best price I can see is for 3 GU10 starter pack with the Hue bridge for £90 which is a good price also but then to buy one more it costs £50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Changing/dp/B0152WXDOA/ref=sr_1_2?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1511551170&sr=8-2&keywords=gu10%2Bhue&th=1

Anyone see any better prices anywhere else or on the other amazon sites?

digiman wrote: »
    I'm looking for 6 * E14 Hue colour, best price I seem to see is to buy them individually at £40 each.

Also looking for 4 * GU10 Hue colour, again best price I can see is for 3 GU10 starter pack with the Hue bridge for £90 which is a good price also but then to buy one more it costs £50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Changing/dp/B0152WXDOA/ref=sr_1_2?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1511551170&sr=8-2&keywords=gu10%2Bhue&th=1

That’s about the best you’ll get on Amazon,
    Unless you want to hold out for ‘cyber Monday’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

digiman wrote: »

Just bought 6 if you buy 3 you get them for the price of 2. Also got a hue go in Amazon.fr for 58 delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Gmol wrote: »
    Just bought 6 if you buy 3 you get them for the price of 2. Also got a hue go in Amazon.fr for 58 delivered

Do you have the link for where you get 3 for the price of 2?

Advertisement