Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

digiman wrote: »
    Do you have the link for where you get 3 for the price of 2?

Sorry not great at linking, on the UK site search Philips hue e14 and add to basket. There should be a promotional message there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Gmol wrote: »
    Sorry not great at linking, on the UK site search Philips hue e14 and add to basket. There should be a promotional message there.

here you go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Personal-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B01BPDXARK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511565150&sr=8-3&keywords=Philips+hue+e14

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Gmol wrote: »

Thanks, I never noticed that before. So in total it's not a bad deal to get 6 of them for 160 pounds. Now you have me checking to see what else had that promo message!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

digiman wrote: »
    Do you have the link for where you get 3 for the price of 2?

Maplin.ie are doing 3 for 2 as well, didn't look at their pricing but if it's like everything else on the site it'll be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

paulbok wrote: »
    Maplin.ie are doing 3 for 2 as well, didn't look at their pricing but if it's like everything else on the site it'll be expensive

Maplin are a rip off, prices similar to Argos, usually about 15-20% higher than Amazon prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

paulbok wrote: »

I went with the 3 for 2 deal on maplin.co.uk for the double pack of white b22's £49.98 for six bulbs to parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Who do you know what letter type you should buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i'm thinking of buying this for a present.

or I could buy it separately and get better bulbs. What price would people on here be looking for for the hue hub on its own ?

Who do you know what letter type you should buy?

E27 (Edison Screw - 27mm) - Screw it in to place
    31AiZTRLlvL._SX342_.jpg

B22 (Bayonet - 22mm) - push, twist and it locks into place
    b22-lamp-caps-250x250.jpg

B22 would be the traditional 'Irish' style of fitting, but E27 are more and more common (Ikea stuff is mostly E27 or E14 (14mm))
    When Hue first came out in Europe, it was E27 only, but now they do both (and also E14).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Those after some lightstrips got a pretty good deal over at Amazon Germany https://www.amazon.de/LightStrip-ultrahell-natürliches-Millionen-kompatibel/dp/B06XC2MPSG/ref=lp_14221444031_1_3?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1511774261&sr=1-3
    56 euro for a 2m starter kit + 1m extension

• Advertisement

Cyrusmekon wrote: »
    Those after some lightstrips got a pretty good deal over at Amazon Germany https://www.amazon.de/LightStrip-ultrahell-nat%C3%BCrliches-Millionen-kompatibel/dp/B06XC2MPSG/ref=lp_14221444031_1_3?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1511774261&sr=1-3
    56 euro for a 2m starter kit + 1m extension

Thats a good deal!!

Thankfully I'm all good with light strips as I have an un-used one, with 4x 1m extensions.

Just looking for somewhere decent to put it!!
    A kitchen extension might be on the cards over the next 2/3 years, so if it sits in the box til then, so be it, however I might be tempted by discounted extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

66.42 delivered to PM, seems like a decent enough price for the light strip, worth pulling the trigger?

66.42 delivered to PM, seems like a decent enough price for the light strip, worth pulling the trigger?

not huge savings!I think when I got my spare one, it was less than £50 (maybe even £40)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH I think the strips are far too expensive, very small lengths too.

I've six new colour GU10s on the way and four white ones

Stoner wrote: »

They are, I think of the 3 strips I bought, and of the 7 1m extensions, I think I got them all on discount prices bar maybe 1-2 of the extensions I got in Woodies.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Stoner wrote: »

Strips are far too expensive, yet GU10s on the way.

GU10s are crazy money (for the number of them anyone will typically require)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GU10s are crazy money (for the number of them anyone will typically require)

I only needed 5 GU10S so I got away lightly :)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I only needed 5 GU10S so I got away lightly :)

10 colours in my kitchen

4 White Ambiance on my landing & 6 in the attic.

(and bought the bloody colour's at full price)
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Are there some rooms or lights that people think Hue just don't make sense in?

For me, bathroom, utility room, bed side lamps... I see no benefit here. Somebody sell them to me :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive only two rooms left in my house without them, both bathrooms. the only reason i havent yet is because the extractor fans are tied to the light switch. I need to replace the extractors with ones with a pull chord so i can leave the light on but the extractors off.

Ive a motion sensor and hue bulb in my utility room.

• Advertisement

Ive only two rooms left in my house without them, both bathrooms. the only reason i havent yet is because the extractor fans are tied to the light switch. I need to replace the extractors with ones with a pull chord so i can leave the light on but the extractors off.

Mine was the same, luckily there is a switch on the ceiling in both the main bathroom & ensuite to isolate the extractor fans.

Its a pity my downstairs toilet doesn't have a window, as I could put a sensor & bulb in, which would work great (though it doesn't have the isolation switch like upstairs)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mloc123 wrote: »
    Are there some rooms or lights that people think Hue just don't make sense in?

For me, bathroom, utility room, bed side lamps... I see no benefit here. Somebody sell them to me :)

Well we actually find them handy for the bathroom. Have them hooked up on a motion sensor, so lights come on when the little one goes to the toilet.

Also we have them setup so they come on very dim after a certain time, handy if heading to the toilet in the middle of the night.

The other half also finds white ambiance very handy to switch to day light white to help with putting in makeup etc. in the bathroom.

Same setup in the hallway.

Bed side lamps, have Hue lamps for these, used every night. Red light is good relaxing colour when getting ready to sleep and handy in the little ones room to see without waking her.

Utility room, probably not a big deal, could be useful on a motion sensor. I've ended up putting orphaned Hue bulbs in their after I decided to switch from white only to full Hue colour bulbs in the bedrooms. But definitely not a big deal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Mine was the same, luckily there is a switch on the ceiling in both the main bathroom & ensuite to isolate the extractor fans.

Its a pity my downstairs toilet doesn't have a window, as I could put a sensor & bulb in, which would work great (though it doesn't have the isolation switch like upstairs)

Mine both have that isolation switch you are talking about above the door. but im the only one that can reach it. I looked into replacing that with a pull chord switch but according to the lads in the electronics forum on here you are not supposed to just replace them with a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Have motion sensor in downstairs wc. Works great.

Have 3 gu10s in Ensuite and 4 in main bathroom. Going to go hue someday with them. Main has window and Ensuite is fan (fan is on separate switch) - our problem is that we have little led down lighters embedded in little cut recesses in both rooms. We'd need to separate these onto other switches as they come on with the main light. Easy enough in Ensuite as we could just move them over to the fan switch but in main bathroom we only have one switch so more complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My Hue Strip from Spain arrived today and has the Irish plug in the box. Now two more from the UK :pac:

Yes.

I got 4 gu 10s for 58 euro

And I've the new hub on the way with colour GU10s for 3 number at 80

The I'd need about 9 meters of strip fpry kitchen,

The gu10s are primary light fitting

I've a switch I'll use for 2 rooms at 20 that's a decent dimming process point

Strips being decorative are a very nice to have but the last thing on my list

My undercounter lights are already LEDs plug and play I dont need to dim them, I've a SONOFF controlling them

Anyone know what the energy draw is on the bulbs when they are "off"?

bk wrote:
    Well we actually find them handy for the bathroom. Have them hooked up on a motion sensor, so lights come on when the little one goes to the toilet.

True, but as discussed a standard motion sensor and a lifetime of 5 euro lights will do the trick here

I've regular undercounter and overhead lights in my utility room on a sensor, no need for hue here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone know what the energy draw is on the bulbs when they are "off"?

Usually about 10% give or take.

Nothing huge anyway

• Advertisement

Usually about 10% give or take.

Nothing huge anyway

So like 4W on standby?

Advertisement