Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mrcheez wrote:
    So like 4W on standby?

They are 6w and 8.5 watt etc so 0.6 and 0.85 of a Watt per lamp

It all adds up.

Again Philips need to add inline switches

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone know what the energy draw is on the bulbs when they are "off"?

0.5w
    Stoner wrote: »
    True, but as discussed a standard motion sensor and a lifetime of 5 euro lights will do the trick here

I've regular undercounter and overhead lights in my utility room on a sensor, no need for hue here imo.

Sure, but it misses out on a few very handy features.

- Before 10pm the lights come on full brightness, after 10pm until 8am, they come on very dim when motion is sensed. Great to stop from waking up too much at night if you need to go to the toilet.

- Misses out on the white ambiance features that the missus uses.

I'd agree probably not a major deal for utility rooms, but if you are already invested in one ecosystem, there is some advantage to not mixing other systems in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    I'd agree probably not a major deal for utility rooms, but if you are already invested in one ecosystem, there is some advantage to not mixing other systems in.

Well that ecosystem I'm suggesting is the existing one as in what we all start with , there's very little smartness to it, just pure automation. We are introducing Philips into it rather than the other way around

I will add though in defense of the Philips system, standard PIR switching can kill lamp life, Philips start / stop is soft and less stressful on the lamp. The Philips lamps last longer in my experience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    Well that ecosystem I'm suggesting is the existing one as in what we all start with , there's very little smartness to it, just pure automation. We are introducing Philips into it rather than the other way around

Yes, I was thinking of it from the perspective of someone who has already invested in Hue for main rooms and is now thinking of doing secondary rooms for completeness/OCD :D That would be me and I think the OP who asked the question.

If you have already invested in the Hub, app, integrated with GH, etc. Then probably just continue to build out what you have.

But you are correct, if all someone wants to do is motion sensing and haven't invested in Hue yet or don't plan too, then that could be a cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I do have the IKEA motion sensor/bulb in bathroom, and it's OK, but i'm considering switching to hue there as well, as the full whack of brightness is not ideal when goin for a 4am piss. Would much prefer nightlight routine setup with HUE.

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    I do have the IKEA motion sensor/bulb in bathroom, and it's OK, but i'm considering switching to hue there as well, as the full whack of brightness is not ideal when goin for a 4am piss. Would much prefer nightlight routine setup with HUE.

Well the Ikea bulbs might work with the Hue hub and thus the routine, though I think you would have to get the Hue motion sensors.

bk wrote: »
    Well the Ikea bulbs might work with the Hue hub and thus the routine, though I think you would have to get the Hue motion sensors.

Ah true, but I can't reset them without the IKEA gateway now that they're paired to the ikea accessories. I'm doing a bit of chopping and changing with the bulbs.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/light-bulbs-accessories/koppla-b22-to-e27-bulb-converter-art-90295615/

Can you get the opposite of these?

I've a colour B22 i'd like to do in an E27 lamp but feel I may be out of luck

Shlippery wrote: »
    Ah true, but I can't reset them without the IKEA gateway now that they're paired to the ikea accessories. I'm doing a bit of chopping and changing with the bulbs.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/light-bulbs-accessories/koppla-b22-to-e27-bulb-converter-art-90295615/

Can you get the opposite of these?

I've a colour B22 i'd like to do in an E27 lamp but feel I may be out of luck

You can factory reset the bulbs without the hub, by flicking the light on/off 6 times, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJm9YpPrGzk

Then it depends on the version of the firmware on the bulb, if it is newer, it should pair with Hue bridge, if it is older, then yes you would need the Ikea hub to update it.

Sorry, I don't know about the adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Adapters can be got on eBay, amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Looks like I missed the 3 for 2 and the e14 bulbs also went back to 49.99 from 39.99. Really missed the boat!

Didn't expect the prices/offers to change till after midnight tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Looks like I missed the 3 for 2 and the e14 bulbs also went back to 49.99 from 39.99. Really missed the boat!

Didn't expect the prices/offers to change till after midnight tonight.

Two colour E14 and a switch for €84 delivered:> Amazon.es

bk wrote: »
    You can factory reset the bulbs without the hub, by flicking the light on/off 6 times, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJm9YpPrGzk

Then it depends on the version of the firmware on the bulb, if it is newer, it should pair with Hue bridge, if it is older, then yes you would need the Ikea hub to update it.

Sorry, I don't know about the adaptors.

I was trying that but wasn't working...somehow one of them has found its way back to Hue though :rolleyes:

Ah well, ambiance GU10's on the way from france. going to throw the ikea ones back in the press for a rainy day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Davy wrote: »
    Two colour E14 and a switch for €84 delivered:> Amazon.es

Thanks for that, it looks to be back to 100 ish now.

But the e14 white ambiance where still discounted and available as part of the 3 for 2 so I picked up e14 twin pack, b22 white ambiance twin back and an e27 colour for £100. Also got my first motion sensor.

That's on top of the 2 light strips & 2 gu10 bulbs bundle on Friday.

That's enough for the moment!

Adapters can be got on eBay, amazon etc.

g9ntVJ8.png

Yea, one of these I'm looking for. The screw to bayonet ones seem far more common though than the one above. Any reason, would they be sketchier from an electrical point of view? Or just no demand for them?

I've one of my three starter park colour B22s wasted in a small hallway as it was a handy fit- but now I'm trying to expand and want to swap it out for a plain white E27 (non ambiance, but will be grand as a nightlight) and use the third colour B22 somewhere else.

So, dilemma is it's try one of the adaptors, or else pick up a new light. Hard to find any decent B22 lamp around now - any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The reverse of the above adaptor would certainly be a lot more common that the one shown, B22 type bulbs would be in the minority in the grand scheme of things (I think it was only us & the U.K. that used them in recent times), whereas E27 would be a lot more common in Europe. So adaptors for B22 bulbs going into E27 fittings wouldn’t be needed that much.

When I first got Hue 4 years ago it was only E27, and all fittings where I lived at the time were all B22, so I had to use lots of those adaptors (E27 to B22), and finally yesterday with the arrival of the B22 starter kit, was able to remove the last of any adapter type from my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I bought a few of these and been using them for a year with no issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0144BPTBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Any deals on a Hue-compatible motion sensor?

Any deals on a Hue-compatible motion sensor?

The sensor hasn't really budged from it's £34.99 price in a long time (apart from if it was included with any of the deals/starter packs on Friday)

As far as compatible, I believe the Ikea sensor will connect to a bulb(s?), but by doing so, will disconnect the bulb from your hub (only pairing the bulb with the motion sensor), making it not so smart anymore.
    I'm not aware of any other motion sensors that will work. Better off just sticking to the Hue ones.

The sensor hasn't really budged from it's £34.99 price in a long time (apart from if it was included with any of the deals/starter packs on Friday)

As far as compatible, I believe the Ikea sensor will connect to a bulb(s?), but by doing so, will disconnect the bulb from your hub (only pairing the bulb with the motion sensor), making it not so smart anymore.
    I'm not aware of any other motion sensors that will work. Better off just sticking to the Hue ones.

Yea, I've trialled an Ikea motion sensor / bulb in bathroom, but don't like the glaring max brightness effect Will keep it for a while more, but as of now its a separate room to the rest of my Hue/Ghome setup..

Pulled trigger on a second Phillips sensor because even at £34.99, it seems like the better buy - I love the little magnetic mount on it.

I installed my 3rd sensor this morning, I put it in the ensuite where it should be really useful.
    it had been sitting in a box for about 4-5 months, so I finally decided to utilise it.

So with only 2 bulbs changed over Black Friday, time for a status update;

Currently installed/active;
    E27/B22 Colour - 12 bulbs
    GU10 colour - 10 bulbs
    GU10 White Ambiance - 10 bulbs
    E14 colour - 2 bulbs
    Light Strip Plus - 2 (1 with 3x 1m extensions)
    E27/B22 White Only/Lux - 6 bulbs
    Hue Bloom - 2
    Sensors - 3
    Remotes - 7

Spares;
    Gen 2 Bridge - 1
    B22 colour - 1
    B22 White Ambiance - 2
    Hue Bloom - 2
    Light Strip Plus - 1 & 4x 1m extensions
    B22/E27 White only - 4 (3 of them ordered on Monday, and all 4 for my mothers house to add to the 6 she already has)

The Bridge & B22 Colour/2 White Ambiance's will most likely be given to my sister as a house warming gift. The Blooms & Light Strip will remain as uninstalled, but there for various occasions Christmas/Halloween/Bar Mitzvah etc...

I'm then only looking for 1 more E27 richer colour bulb, which will go into a master bedroom bedside lamp replacing a gen 1 colour bulb (there is now a mismatch of bulbs in the 2 bedside lamps, one is a gen 1, and the other is a 'richer colours', and this will bug me!). the old gen 1 bulb will then replace a white only bulb in the main bathroom.

• Advertisement

Would prefer battery-powered if they had one. I thought initially it was one you plug directly into your plug socket, until I saw the pics.

Would prefer battery-powered if they had one. I thought initially it was one you plug directly into your plug socket, until I saw the pics.

The Ikea one? as the Hue sensors are battery powered.

The Ikea one? as the Hue sensors are battery powered.

sorry brainfart... meant would prefer SOCKET-powered

I have a plug socket beside my front door which is unused and would be perfect for powering a sensor to light hallway

IKEA one seems to be battery too

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-wireless-motion-sensor-white-art-30383511/

If battery is the only option I guess I don't have much choice

sorry brainfart... meant would prefer SOCKET-powered

I have a plug socket beside my front door which is unused and would be perfect for powering a sensor

The sensor batteries last about 2 years, and you could still put it up at the socket if you wanted., just get 1 of these and glue the sensor magnet to it.
    It would help to hide the socket if you so desired.
    Or you can just put the sensor anywhere as its not limited to being close to a power supply.

I'd be using a plug up there for something that needs to be plugged in, like an IP camera..

The sensor batteries last about 2 years, and you could still put it up at the socket if you wanted., just get 1 of these and glue the sensor magnet to it.
    It would help to hide the socket if you so desired.
    Or you can just put the sensor anywhere as its not limited to being close to a power supply.

I'd be using a plug up there for something that needs to be plugged in, like an IP camera..

2 years? That's fine then... hopefully it gives out a warning when running low :)

2 years? That's fine then... hopefully it gives out a warning when running low :)

Same with the remotes, 2 year battery, and I'd bet easy to replace. (just 1 little philips (the irony) screw)

Note.. there are two versions of the sensor on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hue+sensor

Both same price. Be sure to choose the one that is "newer"...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_ob_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511960205&sr=8-2

EDIT: Actually the older one is 39.99... easy to miss

Note.. there are two versions of the sensor on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hue+sensor

Both same price. Be sure to choose the one that is "newer"...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_ob_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511960205&sr=8-2

Whats the difference actually? @Anyone

I had the older one, and i'm waiting on the new one to arrive.

Is it just the batteries?

just get 1 of these and glue the sensor magnet to it.

Trying to find those on ebay, got the link handy?

ah found em...

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/18-PACK-ELECTRIC-PLUG-SOCKET-COVER-PROTECTOR-BABY-TODDLER-PROOF-CHILD-SAFETY-28B/232205445686?hash=item361085ea36:g:QuIAAOSw4A5YsJkP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

It's my first Christmas with hue so I'm wondering what people do with their lights over the holiday period?

I downloaded one of the Halloween apps and had my colour bulbs in each front window and the front door with the Bluetooth speaker outside and they reacted brilliantly to the music and sound effects but I can't imagine them being as effective for setting the Christmas scene.

Im not a major hue addict "yet" so I have two colour light strips, and four colour bulbs and a dimmer, no point in listing the white ones as they obviously won't come into play.

Advertisement