Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Interesting, I received my electricity bill today for the first time since I plugged in all the "always-on" Hue lights in every room in my house and it's about 40% higher than normal (even comparing the last 3 years at this time of year).

€110 vs the usual €76

Mine went down about €10-€15 since going all Hue

I guess the 10 50w Halogens in the kitchen were a big user of power! compared to only 7w per bulb now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It might be a few things, so I'll trial it a few more months, but if the average is now €110 I might have to start switching off bulbs I use rarely

I do have a few more things now running full time that I would normally turn off when out of the house:

- Modem
    - Hue bridge
    - Harmony Hub bridge
    - 2 x Echo Dots
    - 2 x Smart plugs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

€110 vs the usual €76

Are you comparing two bills between last year and this year or are you comparing with 2 months ago?

December - January bills tend to be higher due to more lighting being used due to it being dark, more TV and other indoor activities and of course Christmas lights.

Also were both bills actual meter readings or estimates?

If the lower one was an estimate, then the estimate might have been low and the second bill is a reading and thus you are paying for the unread power from the first bill.

You should really be comparing kwH's used between two actual readings covering the same months over two years.

bk wrote: »
    Are you comparing two bills between last year and this year or are you comparing with 2 months ago?

yep as I mentioned in the first post
    ...it's about 40% higher than normal (even comparing the last 3 years at this time of year).

€110 vs the usual €76

You should really be comparing kwH's used between two actual readings covering the same months over two years.

Unit usage this period was 391, last year the same period (as an example) was 291.

No noticeable behavioural changes apart from the new smart home devices, and modem always on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Unit usage this period was 391, last year the same period (as an example) was 291.

No noticeable behavioural changes apart from the new smart home devices, and modem always on.

And were both bills actual readings? To be honest it is hard to directly compare two bills due to differences between estimated readings and actual readings.

Best to compare 4 months worth of bills between two years as that should take into account one estimate and one actual reading.

100 units seems far more then these smart devices would use. They are all on the very low end of power usage. BTW what type of bulbs did you change from, LED's or CFL/standard bulbs? If it is the latter, then you definitely should have seen a big drop, even with the standby of these devices.

• Advertisement

And were both bills actual readings? To be honest it is hard to directly compare two bills due to differences between estimated readings and actual readings.

Best to compare 4 months worth of bills between two years as that should take into account one estimate and one actual reading.

100 units seems far more then these smart devices would use. They are all on the very low end of power usage. BTW what type of bulbs did you change from, LED's or CFL/standard bulbs? If it is the latter, then you definitely should have seen a big drop, even with the standby of these devices.

Sorry forgot meant to mention these were actual readings.

Original bulbs were all Philips energy saving: https://www.lights.ie/e27-energy-saving-bulb-tornado-performance-spirals-93348-ie-en.html
    (but obviously only turned on when needed)

My modem is 22W at peak usage so that's about €30 per year before all the additional levies/VAT, so that might be part of it.

Echo Dots shouldn't be more than €4 to leave on year round afaik.

Anyway I'll see how subsequent bills go, there might have been some peaks I haven't accounted for, but if it's the same after next few bills I'll know something has changed.

I saw a reduction in moving from those CFL's, I had the same in some rooms, to the Hue LEDs. The Hue LEDS only use about 0.5 watt standby and about 7w on. I think the Hub is about 3w

Yes, maybe the router. But then I could never imagine switching mine off, it is always on.

BTW you or other family members home more then usual? When we had a child we saw a big jump in power use as the missus was home more and Plasma TV on all the time, 350w on all day, eckk!

BTW you or other family members home more then usual? When we had a child we saw a big jump in power use as the missus was home more and Plasma TV on all the time, 350w on all day, eckk!

Nope, solo me-o, so usage is pretty consistent to the previous times as well.

I doubt it would be Christmas lights as I kept them on for longer periods this year, but never know!

Will update when I get the next bill in 2 months.

To give you an idea, each Hue bulb uses 0.4w in standby. At 14c per kwh that I pay, that will cost 50c per bulb for a full year. Or 8.3 cent per bulb per bi-monthly bill.

Of course that isn't accounting for the bulb being on, though then it should use 1/3rd the power (about 5.5w) as your old CFL's

BTW The bridge uses 1.5w, so €1.8 per year or 30 cent per bill.

Some interesting hue bundles on Amazon right now

2x Twin pack E14/B22/E27 colour plus a motion sensor - £150 (motion sensor is £30 on its own, so £120 for 4 colour bulbs - £30 per colour bulb)
    2x Twin Pack E14/B22/E27 colour plus a dimmer switch - £150 (dimmer switch is £20 on it's own, so £130 for 4 colour bulbs - £32.50 per colour bulb)

E27 single colour bulbs are only £34.99 which is also great value.

• Advertisement

I've received today 2 E27 richer colour bulbs. I couldn't resist at £35 a piece.

They will replace 2 1st gen colour bulbs in my hallway lamps, and those 1st gen colours will then go into the bedside lamps up in the attic, replacing the 2 white only bulbs that have been up there for over a year.

All this means is that every bulb now inside my house currently active is a colour bulb, with the exception of 10 White Ambiance GU10's (still have a white only in my porch light, and a Lux in my laneway light)

Grand total of active lights now sits at;

30 colour (mixture of GU10, E27, B22, E14 & Light Strip +)
    10 White Ambiance GU10 spots
    1 E27 White Only
    1 E27 Lux

Spares;
    B22 richer colours
    E14 richer colours
    2 B22 White Ambiance
    Light Strip + with 4x 1m extensions
    2 Blooms
    5 E27 White Only (will go down to my mothers set up)

I think I'm done now. Surely I'm done!

Philips have announced new 'friends of hue' light switches that will exist a lot more peacefully with your current set up.

https://www.smarthomegeeks.co.uk/news/philips-hue-tease-new-light-switch-range/

Philips-Hue-Lightswitch-UK.jpg

Hmmmm, how can I make it so i need loads of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I've received today 2 E27 richer colour bulbs. I couldn't resist at £35 a piece.

They will replace 2 1st gen colour bulbs in my hallway lamps, and those 1st gen colours will then go into the bedside lamps up in the attic, replacing the 2 white only bulbs that have been up there for over a year.

All this means is that every bulb now inside my house currently active is a colour bulb, with the exception of 10 White Ambiance GU10's (still have a white only in my porch light, and a Lux in my laneway light)

Grand total of active lights now sits at;

30 colour (mixture of GU10, E27, B22, E14 & Light Strip +)
    10 White Ambiance GU10 spots
    1 E27 White Only
    1 E27 Lux

Spares;
    B22 richer colours
    E14 richer colours
    2 B22 White Ambiance
    Light Strip + with 4x 1m extensions
    2 Blooms
    5 E27 White Only (will go down to my mothers set up)

I think I'm done now. Surely I'm done!

Looking for advice........I started out with my 3 B22 set and now am thinking about the 12 GU10s in my kitchen..........balking st the price of the whote and color versions and thinking the white ambiance are good enough......unlikely to ever change the color anyhow........any thoughts, will I regret it....?

Also how is the light dispersion vs a regular GU10......? Considering they are in a kitchen/living area.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Was looking for something on top of the kitchen units,didn't find it nut found 3 Hue bulbs hidden away.

I'm like a bloody squirrel hiding his nuts.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Looking for advice........I started out with my 3 B22 set and now am thinking about the 12 GU10s in my kitchen..........balking st the price of the whote and color versions and thinking the white ambiance are good enough......unlikely to ever change the color anyhow........any thoughts, will I regret it....?

Also how is the light dispersion vs a regular GU10......? Considering they are in a kitchen/living area.....?

I don’t for 1 minute regret putting 10 white & colour GU10’s in my kitchen, the light off them is excellent compared to the halogen bulbs they replaced.

I paid £50 a piece for them, but keep checking amazon as a few weeks back they were only £35 each!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I don’t for 1 minute regret putting 10 white & colour GU10’s in my kitchen, the light off hem is excellent compared to the halogen bulbs they replaced.

I paid £50 a piece for them, but keep checking amazon as a few weeks back they were only £35 each!!

I knew you’d say that......... :))

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Amazon are doing 3 for 2 on the hue bulbs until the end of March.

The Twin back of the white ambience GU10 are £50 so you get 6 for £100, which at £16 odd a bulb seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone looking for an odd number of colour ambience GU10s? I need to get four for a fitting, looking to split a purchase with someone so I can avail of the 3/2 offer on the other 3

Ronan wrote: »
    Amazon are doing 3 for 2 on the hue bulbs until the end of March.

The Twin back of the white ambience GU10 are £50 so you get 6 for £100, which at £16 odd a bulb seems reasonable.

They were £42 for a day or so last week, so for anyone looking to stock up, keep an almost daily eye on them for a quick deal like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

They were £42 for a day or so last week, so for anyone looking to stock up, keep an almost daily eye on them for a quick deal like that.

Three for two on b22 colour?

• Advertisement

Yes, and their currently priced at £42.39, so you can get 2 of them for £85, which is great value (a little less than the Black Friday deal starter packs @ £90, just minus the hub)

currently down to £39.99 for the B22 White & Colour Ambiance on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

What’s everyone’s thoughts on keeping the boxes the bulbs come in?

I’m used to storing boxes for most electronics in case of later sale or needing to send them for repair, but I’ve got the whole house done with hue bulbs now (inc a couple spare). And I’ve boxes of empty hue bulb boxes sitting In the attic. Are they worth holding on to?

OU812 wrote: »

I’m used to storing boxes for most electronics in case of later sale or needing to send them for repair, but I’ve got the whole house done with hue bulbs now (inc a couple spare). And I’ve boxes of empty hue bulb boxes sitting In the attic. Are they worth holding on to?

Yeah I kept the very 1st box I got (starter kit) over 4 years ago, but soon realised it wasn’t worth holding onto them.

Having bought 70+ bulbs over the last 4 years, I’m glad I didn’t bother holding onto the boxes!!

What would be the point of keeping them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I keep them for a few weeks but then ditch them, same with any electronics

my attic is 90% empty boxes...maybe keep em in case of fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Keep one or two of each type bulb/ box for faulty returns. You'll be seriously unlucky to have to send them all back at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've been doing all my gu10s with IKEA bulbs recently. They function exactly the same as the equivalent Phillips bulbs and at 7euro a go are a no brainer

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I've been doing all my gu10s with IKEA bulbs recently. They function exactly the same as the equivalent Phillips bulbs and at 7euro a go are a no brainer

They are definitely a bargain, but they definitely aren't as good as the equivalent Hue bulbs.

Firstly Hue doesn't make white only GU10's, they only make white ambiance and colour GU10's. The white ambiance can select different white temperatures. Ikea makes bulbs like these too, they cost €15

Also I find that the Ikea €7 bulbs aren't anywhere near as bright as the Hue GU10's nor do they go anywhere as low when set them to their lowest brightness.

Non of the above might matter if you are just looking for lights for a hallway/utility room, but I'd be slow to put them in a living room, etc.

Actually as soon as a good deal on Hue GU10's comes up, I'll be replacing my Ikea bulbs with Hue ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Finally got to setup my black Friday hue lights.

So far haven't played too much and haven't yet had a chance to get the kids ipad to install iconnect4hue. So just using the basic app

I got 5 motion sensors and have 4 of them linked to the lights in each room dining living hall and landing. The motion sensors have mostly stopped anyone from going near the switches and I dont think others in the house would accept the new lights as easy without these, cant see people wanting to take out phones to use apps.

I got a colour GU10 for my front door spot and knew it would be bigger than the current fitting. Can anyone recommend a good gu10 fitting for the hue colour bulb?

Advertisement