Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

My 4 White & Colour Ambiance GU10's arrived just now along with the motion sensor - Happy Days

I had to remove the 12v transformers from 4 of my kitchen spots as well as change from GU4 to GU10 fittings, but alas, it only took 10 minutes and their all in!!

I'm up to 24 hue lights now!!

No doubt I'll have the remaining 6 I need ordered by the end of the day!!

Buying them all off Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

laugh wrote: »
    Buying them all off Amazon?

Yeah, seems like the cheapest option at the moment, particularly with the exchange rates as they are, before I bought from Apple, but they don't do the individual GU10's, only the (old) starter set for €199 (£149 (~€166) on Amazon for the new starter set).

forget about Argos & Maplin, they want €75 for the colour bulbs!!, and I think Argos have to order them in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Graham wrote: »
    That's the Christmas tree lights sorted :mad:

Only 100 LEDs on it though. We have 400 bulbs on our tree :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OU812 wrote: »
    Only 100 LEDs on it though. We have 400 bulbs on our tree :(

They've committed to support chaining individual sets by December to make them behave as 1 larger string :D

My Christmas spirit thanks you.
    My wallet doesn't!

Yeah, seems like the cheapest option at the moment, particularly with the exchange rates as they are, before I bought from Apple, but they don't do the individual GU10's, only the (old) starter set for €199 (£149 (~€166) on Amazon for the new starter set).

forget about Argos & Maplin, they want €75 for the colour bulbs!!, and I think Argos have to order them in for you.

Went into Argos and two Woodies this evening, I was eager to get something to play around with Home Assistant for the weekend.

Woodies Tallaght had almost nothing, Woodies Nass had a set with the 4 button switch and a white bulb no bridges and Argos appear to have no stock of Hue Kits in the entire country.

• Advertisement

Woodies in Lucan is where I bought a light strip & the bloom (however the light strip was €100, its about €75 on Amazon)

Argos look like they have some very good deals on Hue products at the moment!!

Needs to be ordered in for collection, but still, looks like some great deals can be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was looking at Amazon last night . I saw a regular Philips hue lamp at £15 BC too

Philips Hue White Personal Wireless Lighting LED B22 Light Bulb, 1 x 9.5 W Bayonet Cap [Apple Homekit Enabled] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0152WXDDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_A8XeybXG1YHGT

I didn't realise that that this basic offering

Argos look like they have some very good deals on Hue products at the moment!!

Needs to be ordered in for collection, but still, looks like some great deals can be had.

Doesn't appear you can reserve it since it's not in stock anywhere in the country.

Argos are selling them now for €13.99

they are the basic, warm white only, I have a few of them in centre lights, as well as in the attic (guest room) and the hallway,

but I've just ordered a few white ambiance from Argos @ €23.99

Get onto Argos, the reductions are amazing!!, colour bulbs are €47.99, light strip is €66.99, colour starter set is €143.99

amazing prices for Hue products!!

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    Doesn't appear you can reserve it since it's not in stock anywhere in the country.

I tried reserving a white ambiance E27, and it will be available to collect on Tuesday, tried as well for a B22 white ambiance and it said not available!!

so I'd say pull up a load of stuff, and see if it's available to reserve for store collection!

Fexk off you!! I'm skint!

But I'm going to look .

they are the basic, warm white only, I have a few of them in centre lights, as well as in the attic (guest room) and the hallway,

But they dim too

doesn't look like much can be got from Argos!!

nothing is in stock, and the only thing I was able to order for store collection was 2 white ambiance E27's!!

typical argos, massive reductions on things that aren't available!!

it seems liffey valley Argos have a few bits in stock,

I also managed to get a lightstrip for collection on Tuesday. I don't need it(yet) , but for €66 it's too good a price to let go.

doesn't look like much can be got from Argos!!

I was seriously looking at getting the colour set. TBH my house is full of GU10 LEDs.and in the living and dining room I've have decorative pendant's that I took along time to source in a Matt chrome to match a Matt chrome mk edge light switches.

I'm not a fan of lamps,
    I've a play room with a fitting that takes a ES lamp . After that I've a BC on the landing. One on the spare bed room and one in my son's room although the pendant is his room powers fitting the turns around, private ship, popular at the moment.

I'm struggling to fit Hue into my house over and above say the bloom type situation or the strip

I'm not spending 1000 euro on Hue gu10s

My dining room has a 6 lamp SES screw lamp and my living room has SBC lamps x5.

I'd end up with wall lamps just to work Philips in.
    50 euro a lamp in a room I have 6 in is just too much money tbh for what would be just dimmable gu10s
    So I've pendant fittings in the rooms used infrequently in my house.

So I'm limited to adding lights.

I've pl fittings in my kitchen 26watt units have them 12 years five of them. I've replaced 6 lamps in 12 years

My hall has 3 x 13watt pls 3 lamp replacements in 12 years , one went last week having lasted the whole 12 years

But I'd need to change them now. I'm limited to led large down lights.

For someone like me some Philips inline dimming units would be really handy.

Stoner wrote: »
    But they dim too

yes, full hue functionality with the app etc.., only in 1 colour though

Stoner wrote: »
    50 euro a lamp in a room I have 6 in is just too much money tbh for what would be just dimmable gu10s

Have you looked at the white ambiance GU10's? Amazon do a 2 pack for £45 they do warm/cold white, just no colour, and are a much cheaper GU10 hue option. I've 4 on the way for my landing

Have you looked at the white ambiance GU10's? Amazon do a 2 pack for £45 they do warm/cold white, just no colour, and are a much cheaper GU10 hue option. I've 4 on the way for my landing

As a sample.

https://goo.gl/images/srSFg5

This is the type of fitting I have , I've two, similar but nicer imo , not as hickey

So I'd have that as a centre light, with 4 GU10 around it.

I've that twice.

I'd like to get all the lights in a room working or as is, not partly.

I'd get the Hue GU10 if I could get something to control the centre lights , they are a small led lamp. I think one has 9 no 6watt less that cost 18 euro each

So is like have the facility to put in an inline unit to bring the central light into the scene, or not have it at all.

For my centre lights, I just prefer a 1 bulb light with a decent shade, as I'd only ever use my centre lights 0.0000001% of the time!! (My mothers hatred of having centre lights on must have rubbed off on me!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Has anyone tried the hack from Reddit for joining two hue lightstrips with some cat cable to run behind a dead zone? I want to continue a 3M section with two 1M section separated by cable running behind a cabinet. Can't justify two additional controllers just to add 1m sections.
    Any tips from anyone who managed this?

Note I did read here or somewhere on boards that someone was making their own strips.

Also cat5 cable might be being used because it's rigid and can be pushed up the strips

This guy soldered new male and female connectors on. Looks like a good job.
    https://youtu.be/jQEjFyyuVac

You could use the cat5 cable as a spacer

I found a guy boosting the rgb signal with a pwm amp and adding on non Philips strips on too.

See this guy boosting the strips to get more out of them

https://youtu.be/CFIdDXNJJ6o

Picked up 2 white ambiance bulbs today in Argos,

I had ordered E27's (as that's all they seemed to have, or could get), but was surprised to see they'd given me B22's!

No major issue as I can still use the B22's, as most of my fittings are a mix of bayonets & Edison's

It looks like their huge discounts ends tomorrow, so could still be worth seeing if they can get anything else hue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I haven't bought any gadgetry in a while and am having withdrawal symptoms.
    I would love to jump on the Hue bandwagon but apart from the bathrooms, all my rooms have multiple bulb fittings or masses of gu10 spotlights.
    There are eighteen in the kitchen alone. I'd need to take out a small mortgage to automate the house lighting. Someday maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So I can see this becoming an adiction. So far I have 4 colour bulbs, three in teh living room and one in teh bedroom, 1 white bulb in the upsatirs hall and 2 white bulbs in the basement activated by the motion sensor. So far I am very impressed with the setup.

I want another 2 colour bulbs for lamps in teh living room, a bloom to replace my current one that isnt compatible with hue and a lightstrip for the kitchen. I think thats all i can get away with for the moment while remaining married.

I'm up to 26 bulbs (with 10 more in the post)

how she hasn't left me yet i'll never know (although it was herself who bought me the starter kit, so I keep winding her up that she started it all)

Advbrd wrote:
    there are eighteen in the kitchen alone. I'd need to take out a small mortgage to automate the house lighting. Someday maybe.

I'm in the same boat. That's why I'm considering the iris or bloom as its too expensive to achieve regular lighting changeover for me with Hue .

I have regular Philips dimming lamps GU10 I'm considering adding dimming modules to lightwaverf to tie in the large amount of exist lamps.

900 euro on lamps is crazy you are paying for the same thing over and over again where as an inline 250W dimming unit can be used with five euro lamps
    So it would be a cost of 900 vs 70 for what I'd pretty much call the same thing.

But the other Hue colour change stuff adds something extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

So I can see this becoming an adiction. So far I have 4 colour bulbs, three in teh living room and one in teh bedroom, 1 white bulb in the upsatirs hall and 2 white bulbs in the basement activated by the motion sensor. So far I am very impressed with the setup.

I want another 2 colour bulbs for lamps in teh living room, a bloom to replace my current one that isnt compatible with hue and a lightstrip for the kitchen. I think thats all i can get away with for the moment while remaining married.

Firstly. Impressed with the basement. Not too many places in Ireland have one. Secondly, Why bother with them down there? You could just put a regular motion sensor there with ordinary bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

OU812 wrote: »
    Firstly. Impressed with the basement. Not too many places in Ireland have one. Secondly, Why bother with them down there? You could just put a regular motion sensor there with ordinary bulbs.

I dont live in Ireland. And its only a place to store food and the freezer. I had a normal sensor there but with energy saving bulbs there they took forever to warm up so i couldnt really see down there for the 30 seconds i was down there. The hue set up was incredibly easy.

I'll also be honest and say it was also a way of getting the sensor into the house and getitng my wife used to it.

Advertisement