Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Management Fees Tax Deductible?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Sure this must have been answered a hundred times but did a search and couldn't find anything recent. Are apartment management fees - pay for insurance, bins, general maintenance etc deductible for income tax? Coming from a landlord perspective.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

paulers06 wrote: »
    Hi All

Sure this must have been answered a hundred times but did a search and couldn't find anything recent. Are apartment management fees - pay for insurance, bins, general maintenance etc deductible for income tax? Coming from a landlord perspective.

Thanks!

Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

kceire wrote: »
    Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, why would there even be a question.

It is an expense of having the apartment which is borne by the landlord. There are only a couple of direct expenses that are not allowable ie property tax as it is a tax, also mortgage interest is limited to 75% of interest ( not the mortgage repayment ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Of course, why would there even be a question.

It is an expense of having the apartment which is borne by the landlord. There are only a couple of direct expenses that are not allowable ie property tax as it is a tax, also mortgage interest is limited to 75% of interest ( not the mortgage repayment ).

As a landlord yes, as an owner occupier no (but you get a tiny tax relief on the refuse portion of the fee). Always infuriates me when landlords don't pay their fees while us owners struggle to pay ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

athtrasna wrote: »
    As a landlord yes, as an owner occupier no (but you get a tiny tax relief on the refuse portion of the fee). Always infuriates me when landlords don't pay their fees while us owners struggle to pay ours.

Do you have the info on how an owner occupier can claim back the tax for the refuse portion of the fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

athtrasna wrote: »

Slap a few clamps on tenants whose landlord hasn't paid and quite quickly they'll pay up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Yes. Every expense associated with the house is tax deductible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Do you have the info on how an owner occupier can claim back the tax for the refuse portion of the fee?

No longer possible. It's gone for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Slap a few clamps on tenants whose landlord hasn't paid and quite quickly they'll pay up

This actually happened to me when I was a tenant a few years ago. The OMC revoked the parking permits for the units where the fees hadnt been paid. I'd been paying my rent as due, but the LL was up to his neck, and was in the UK so we were only dealing with an agency. I wasnt notified, and just went to go to work one morning and found that my car was clamped.

I subsequently deducted €100 from my rent and hoped this would spark some action, but weirdly nothing was ever said. The agent rang me once and said i really shouldn't be withholding the money, but didnt seem to push it, so I kept withholding, even though it became apparent I was never getting my permit back and had to park outside on the street, because the LL simply didnt care.

Pretty sure the only time that OMC is getting its arrears is when he's eventually forced to sell.

I'm glad I at least gave myself a rent reduction :) This went on for about 8 months and I eventually moved out.

Advertisement