Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza and sub shop - Clondalkin

Options
  • 18-05-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have been offered a premises in clondalkin village for a very good price. I was thinking of opening a takeaway sub and pizza shop.

What do people think about this area for such a business.

There are 3/4 pizza shops already in clondalkin. These are larger franchise operations like 4star domiones and subway. Mine will have to be an own brand. Should this have any impact on my decision.

Does anyone have experience in this field?
    Is it a profitable business?

I am good at managing businesses and will be bringing on-board some staff to do the food prep and cooking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Why would people eat your subs or pizzas instead of going to where they normally go?

That should be the first question to answer. Setting this up is easy setting this up well not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

jimmii wrote: »
    Why would people eat your subs or pizzas instead of going to where they normally go?

That should be the first question to answer. Setting this up is easy setting this up well not so much.

Thanks JImmii for the feedback. I think I'll be cheaper. I will also offer a more personal local experience compared to the chains. Also my location is as good as some of the other pizza shops.

What do you mean about setting it up well? Are you talking about service time and quality of product/ shop fittings?

Thanks JImmii for the feedback. I think I'll be cheaper. I will also offer a more personal local experience compared to the chains. Also my location is as good as some of the other pizza shops.

What do you mean about setting it up well? Are you talking about service time and quality of product/ shop fittings?

I mean that starting a business is easy but starting a really good business isn't so easy.

Is there much money in it trying to undercut dominoes? I haven't got a takeaway pizza in years but whenever I see pizza adverts on TV it seems ridiculously cheap doesn't seem like there could be much margin in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I mean that starting a business is easy but starting a really good business isn't so easy.

Is there much money in it trying to undercut dominoes? I haven't got a takeaway pizza in years but whenever I see pizza adverts on TV it seems ridiculously cheap doesn't seem like there could be much margin in it.

Pizza costs about €2.00 to produce, sells for €15.00 average.

• Advertisement

€15 wtf! I was thinking a pizza was only €6 or €7!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Clondalkin has its fair share of takeaways, there are numerous Chinese, Indian, pizza , chipper etc. .... the place is flooded with them. Subway closes early as far as I know, it will be difficult to make a impact when there are so many. But best of luck with it, I hope It goes well. Whereabouts will you be based, ill make a point to call in and get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Apache large pizza with toppings 9.99

For about 3 years I heard!

€9.99 for two toppings! Any more and you're in for the full whack!

Franchises need a margin of at least 50% to make them viable - be able to pay the franchise fee and still make a profit.

OP, as an independent label, the money you would save on franchise fees would need to be spent on marketing plus your product would need to be better than the franchises (not very hard tbh).

Does the premises have pp for cooking food? If not, is it suitable - access to outside walls, and will it get permission?

Chances of a franchise succeeding is far higher than an independent. Especially one where you have no experience in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Apache is muck though.

OP, set up a quality woodfired shop and you will be on a roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I have been offered a premises in clondalkin village for a very good price. I was thinking of opening a takeaway sub and pizza shop.

What do people think about this area for such a business.

There are 3/4 pizza shops already in clondalkin. These are larger franchise operations like 4star domiones and subway. Mine will have to be an own brand. Should this have any impact on my decision.

Does anyone have experience in this field?
    Is it a profitable business?

I am good at managing businesses and will be bringing on-board some staff to do the food prep and cooking.

Hi there,

I have some knowledge and experience in this area.

But I would like to ask if this is a serious question or are you tyrekicking? Firstly I'd advise to get the idea that you have been offered a unit at a good price in Clondalkin out of your head, otherwise you'll rush a decision, the reality is you have been offered a unit that a landlord is struggling to rent out as if it was a good unit in what is considered a very lucrative fast food area it would have been snapped up already by a larger chain. Properties are incredibly difficult to come buy for cafe/food use at the moment as large franchise/company operated units are being put in everywhere by way of a land grab from the multinationals before the rents sprial over the coming years.

With regards to my tyrekicking comment, I looked thru your previous posts and in the past 2-3 years you have asked here about being a beef farmer, opening a forestery business, walking tours business, a wedding related product, transport company. Hence my concerns !

Apache is muck though.

OP, set up a quality woodfired shop and you will be on a roll!

But it's, erm, Clondalkin. Would the locals appreciate the difference?

Independent woodfire pizza place opened round here a few years ago, still going because it's very good but it could be doing so much better if they upped their marketing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Must be something in the water out there. The SEARCH function will give you this, let's hope your idea does not have a similar gestation!

Advertisement