If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on New 4K Samsung TVs, Series 6, 2016 models

Options
  • 18-05-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this new entry level 4K TV from Samsung appear online lately, it has HDR support and generally the specs seem OK for the price. But, I can't find any reviews of the device yet and can't quite decide to take the plunge on it without knowing more.

The fact it has HDR Support is a positive and running Tizen OS with a Quad Core processor should hopefully have all the expected smart TV features (Netflix, etc.)

Has anyone seen this model in action or maybe had last years JU model for comparison or experience?

Planned usage:
    • Xbox One
    • Netflix
    • Hulu
    • Saorview
    • FreeviewHD (I'm in an overspill area)
    • some BluRays / DVDs, and
    • Watching sport (Footy this summer :)) would be important too.

[*]

Richer Sounds seem to have the UE40KU6000 model for €799,<Snipped>

There seems to be a UE40KU6400 model as well, with a few more bells and whistles - but I can't seem to see anywhere stocking this yet.

The KU6400 model appears to have a decent bump in specs <Snipped>
    [*]What do you reckon of these sets for the usage I have planned?
    [*]Will Richer Sounds be stocking the KU6400 model?
    [*]Or would it be possible to order it?

[/list]
    [*]

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Thanks,
    F.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

BMCD44 wrote: »
    The 40KU6400 is not actually available yet. Says Preorder

<Snipped>

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

The pages on AV Forums for both the KU6000 and the KU6400 showed an April release date. Admittedly, they could be placeholder dates for an expected release. But with the KU6000 already available, I was checking if there was news, previews or reviews for the KU6400.

If it's worth it, I'd hang on for the extra few quid and a couple of weeks.

Thanks again and hopefully there is some good news soon about release, performance and price. If anyone has more information, I'd appreciate it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@Fingleberries, @BMCD44,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum and note that this is not a conventional discussion forum, queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer. Also, links to other websites/retailers are only allowed here in particular circumstances, where an explicit price match is being sought. These (and other) features of the forum are explained clearly in the Charter. I have snipped the posts above accordingly.

If you are looking for, or wish to give advice, opinions etc from other Boardies, feel fre to visit the Boards Home Entertainment forums where discussion etc is very welcome.

@Fingleberries, Someone from richersounds will be along shortly to answer your query.

@BMCD44, I understand the helpful intention but please take note of the Charter and leave queries here to Richersounds.

Thanks,

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

@Fingleberries, @BMCD44,

If you are looking for, or wish to give advice, opinions etc from other Boardies, feel fre to visit the Boards Home Entertainment forums where discussion etc is very welcome.

@Fingleberries, Someone from richersounds will be along shortly to answer your query.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Thanks, My search in the Home Entertainment forums and other sites had brought me to this forum and narrowed the search to these two sets.

My original intent was to talk with an expert from Richer Sounds about the two TV models I listed. One is available from them and the other is a set I could be interested in, if they had details of price or availability and performance.

Thanks again. I didn't pay attention and notice that the previous response wasnt from Richer Sounds. I appreciate your time and apologise for any inconvenience. I look forward to hearing from Richer Sounds on their advice / availability.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment,

Hi Fingleberries,

No problem at all, hope you get sorted out with your choice of TV.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

I've noticed this new entry level 4K TV from Samsung appear online lately, it has HDR support and generally the specs seem OK for the price. But, I can't find any reviews of the device yet and can't quite decide to take the plunge on it without knowing more.

The fact it has HDR Support is a positive and running Tizen OS with a Quad Core processor should hopefully have all the expected smart TV features (Netflix, etc.)

Has anyone seen this model in action or maybe had last years JU model for comparison or experience?

Planned usage:
    • Xbox One
    • Netflix
    • Hulu
    • Saorview
    • FreeviewHD (I'm in an overspill area)
    • some BluRays / DVDs, and
    • Watching sport (Footy this summer :)) would be important too.

[*]

Richer Sounds seem to have the UE40KU6000 model for €799,<Snipped>

There seems to be a UE40KU6400 model as well, with a few more bells and whistles - but I can't seem to see anywhere stocking this yet.

The KU6400 model appears to have a decent bump in specs <Snipped>
    [*]What do you reckon of these sets for the usage I have planned?
    [*]Will Richer Sounds be stocking the KU6400 model?
    [*]Or would it be possible to order it?

[/list]
    [*]

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Thanks,
    F.
    [*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We currently have the 40KU6000 on display here in our Belfast store and have them brand new in stock.
    I see no issues using this along with Xbox One, Netflix, Bluray or the Saorview and FreeviewHD (Area permitting).

I have checked over Samsung, Sony and Panasonic apps and none of them have the Hulu app available on them but if your using it through the Xbox again there should be no issue.

For watching football the 40KU6000 is spec'd at 1300 PQI which should be more than enough to cut out motion blur.

I'm not sure where you are located but you are more than welcome to pop in for a demo of the screen and a cup of coffee.

The 40KU6400 is due to be into stock to our main warehouse around the 23rd of this month, although some screens have ran past their incoming date.
    I don't have a concrete price as of yet and it hasn't even made it on to our website just yet but I think it will be priced in and around 869.99 Euro

The 40KU6000 has also dropped a little in price to 769.00 Euro.

Both these screens include our free 6 Year VIP Guarantee.

I hope this helps.

Any questions please let me know.

• Advertisement

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

We currently have the 40KU6000 on display here in our Belfast store and have them brand new in stock.
    I see no issues using this along with Xbox One, Netflix, Bluray or the Saorview and FreeviewHD (Area permitting).

I have checked over Samsung, Sony and Panasonic apps and none of them have the Hulu app available on them but if your using it through the Xbox again there should be no issue.

For watching football the 40KU6000 is spec'd at 1300 PQI which should be more than enough to cut out motion blur.

I'm not sure where you are located but you are more than welcome to pop in for a demo of the screen and a cup of coffee.

The 40KU6400 is due to be into stock to our main warehouse around the 23rd of this month, although some screens have ran past their incoming date.
    I don't have a concrete price as of yet and it hasn't even made it on to our website just yet but I think it will be priced in and around 869.99 Euro

I hope this helps.

Just wondering if there was any update on the KU6400 model? It looks like the extra feature might be worth it - although it's cutting it close to the Euros now.

For the K6000 model, how is it for motion? I've only seen last year's model (ju6000) and there definitely was some judder in places.

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

I hope this helps.

[*]
    Just wondering if there was any update on the KU6400 model? It looks like the extra feature might be worth it - although it's cutting it close to the Euros now.

For the K6000 model, how is it for motion? I've only seen last year's model (ju6000) and there definitely was some judder in places.
    [*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

The 40KU6400 are due into our main warehouse on the 6th June.

It still has not made it to the website just yet to confirm the pricing.

On the motion the NEW KU6000 is running at 1300 where as the JU ran at 800.
    The KU6400 when it arrives is rated at 1500.

Running the 6000 here at the store the motion looks spot on. We have had several demos ran on it with no issue.

I hope this helps a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

I hope this helps.

[*]

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

Running the 6000 here at the store the motion looks spot on. We have had several demos ran on it with no issue.

[*]
    @Richersounds : Kenny

I am also looking at the UE40KU6000  &   UE40KU64000  ....   The Freesat addition to the 6400 and more silver accented metallic bezel are probably just enough to justify the additional price.  

However a question as the other two TV's that are basically in the frame are the Panasonic Viera TX-40DX700B  and the  LG 40UH630V.      

I see you have the TX-40DX700B in stock,  would you be able to give us your opinion on how it compares with the UE40KU6000 in motion.   Also as I am looking at using any of these as a monitor, do you have any experience as to say which you would advise would make a better option.   I believe they all comply with the Chroma 4:4:4 in PC mode regardless.

Many thanks for any advice is appreciated.

iBoards.

iBoards wrote: »
    [*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

I hope this helps.

[*]

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

[*]

I am also looking at the UE40KU6000  &   UE40KU64000  ....   The Freesat addition to the 6400 and more silver accented metallic bezel are probably just enough to justify the additional price.  

However a question as the other two TV's that are basically in the frame are the Panasonic Viera TX-40DX700B  and the  LG 40UH630V.      

I see you have the TX-40DX700B in stock,  would you be able to give us your opinion on how it compares with the UE40KU6000 in motion.   Also as I am looking at using any of these as a monitor, do you have any experience as to say which you would advise would make a better option.   I believe they all comply with the Chroma 4:4:4 in PC mode regardless.

iBoards.
    [*]
    Hi iBoards.

For motion between the KU600 and DX700, I can not notice a difference here on our shopfloor. The KU6000 is rated at 1300Hz and the DX700 at 1400Hz. The 6400 will be coming in at 1500Hz.

In terms of use as a PC monitor. I have no experience in either of these screens running as a monitor as it is not something we have ever tried here at the store. I would say both would handle this well but you need to remember that these are televisions and will not preform to the resolutions that some dedicated PC monitors do.

I've done a little digging on the Chroma 4:4:4 and it seems that both some Samsung and Panasonic screens do support this although running at 4K 60Hz the information is patchy. This could be down to the type of cables etc that the reviewer may be using as this is not stated. There are so many conflicting reports on different forums regarding 4:4:4 that it has even started to confuse me as to which will and which won't :confused:
    Last years JU6400 did not support this.

For the KU6000 and the KU6400 the manual states it will do 8bit @ 50/60FPS 4:4:4 but not 10 or 12bit.
    The 40DX700 manual lists 4:4:4 but only up to 30FPS and not on 50 or 60.

The LG 43UH630 seems to be a screen we are not stocking.

We will be getting the LG 40UH661 priced at £649.00. LG say 1200Hz for the motion on this.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/43uh661v/lg-43uh661v

I cant find any info on the UH661 supporting 4:4:4 just yet as the screen has not yet fully released (There isn't even a manual up yet on the LG website. However last year it seems to have started at the 770 series.
    The 40UH630 states:
    Colour - On : Support 4K @ 50/60 Hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0) - Off : Support 4K @ 50/60 Hz 8 bit (4:2:0)

I hope this helps a little. It has also taught me a lot today with researching this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

I hope this helps.

[*]

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

[*]

iBoards.

[*]
    Hi iBoards.

For motion between the KU600 and DX700, I can not notice a difference here on our shopfloor. The KU6000 is rated at 1300Hz and the DX700 at 1400Hz. The 6400 will be coming in at 1500Hz.

In terms of use as a PC monitor. I have no experience in either of these screens running as a monitor as it is not something we have ever tried here at the store. I would say both would handle this well but you need to remember that these are televisions and will not preform to the resolutions that some dedicated PC monitors do.

I've done a little digging on the Chroma 4:4:4 and it seems that both some Samsung and Panasonic screens do support this although running at 4K 60Hz the information is patchy. This could be down to the type of cables etc that the reviewer may be using as this is not stated. There are so many conflicting reports on different forums regarding 4:4:4 that it has even started to confuse me as to which will and which won't :confused:

For the KU6000 and the KU6400 the manual states it will do 8bit @ 50/60FPS 4:4:4 but not 10 or 12bit.

We will be getting the LG 40UH661 priced at £649.00. LG say 1200Hz for the motion on this.

I cant find any info on the UH661 supporting 4:4:4 just yet as the screen has not yet fully released (There isn't even a manual up yet on the LG website. However last year it seems to have started at the 770 series.
    The 40UH630 states:
    Colour - On : Support 4K @ 50/60 Hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0) - Off : Support 4K @ 50/60 Hz 8 bit (4:2:0)

I hope this helps a little. It has also taught me a lot today with researching this :)
    [*]
    Thank you so much for your feedback :)  :)  It really is appreciated .

• Advertisement

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

I hope this helps.

[*]

[*]
    Hi Fingleberries.

[*]

iBoards.

[*]
    Hi iBoards.

The 40UH630 states:

[*]
    Thank you so much for your feedback :)  :)  It really is appreciated .
    [*]
    Not a problem at all iBoards.

Any other questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

[*]Hi iBoards.

Aren't the 'hz' specs you quoted actually the PQI which is nothing to do with motion, rather a way of summing up the overall picture quality. The KU6000 is 60hz with an effective rate of 120hz.

spix wrote: »
    [*]Hi iBoards.

[*]
    Aren't the 'hz' specs you quoted actually the PQI which is nothing to do with motion, rather a way of summing up the overall picture quality. The KU6000 is 60hz with an effective rate of 120hz.
    [*]
    Hi Spix.

Most people now use the PQI or whatever the other manufacturers choose to call their version of this.

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Manufacturers now use their own measurements so can not necessarily be compared between brands. Examples include LG - Motion Clarity Index (MCI), Samsung - Clear Motion rate (CMR), Philips - Perfect Motion Rate (PMR), Sony - Motionflow XR and Panasonic - BLS (Back Light Scanning). All these figures are twice or more than the traditional 100Hz/200Hz refresh rate figures. No abbreviation indicates traditional measurement. Plasmas generally use a 600Hz sub-field refresh rate."[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It does sometime get confusing to try and work out the actual Hz.[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It also states on PQI:
    [/font]
    [font=lato, Arial, sans-serif]"The higher rated TVs on the scale will produce a higher frames per second rate and will bring fast action scenes even more to life, providing smooth, judder-free viewing."[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Hi Kenny

Any news on the arrival of the 2016 models ?
    You mentioned earlier that some were due the week of the 6th. I see a lot of retailers with barren looking Samsung stands so I'm guessing there is a delay ?

Thanks 

Hi Kenny

Any news on the arrival of the 2016 models ?
    You mentioned earlier that some were due the week of the 6th. I see a lot of retailers with barren looking Samsung stands so I'm guessing there is a delay ?

Thanks 
    Hi Germancarfan.

A lot of the new models are already released but stock has been tight on them.

With regards to the 40KU6400 which was due on the 6th it has yet to surface and has as of today dropped off of our incoming list :confused:

We have received the 49" version and the 55" version but have yet to put one on display due to limited space in our store.

Is there a certain model that you are interested and I can check on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Thanks Kenny
    I'm looking for a 50" flat 4k at under a grand € . was holding off until after the KU's came out to see whats on offer.
    Preference is for Samsung due to the OS. Have been a Sony fanboi to date but i'm not 100% sold on Android OS just yet.

Given that plex works really well with the samsungs also that's swinging me toward one.

Dec

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Thanks Kenny
    I'm looking for a 50" flat 4k at under a grand € . was holding off until after the KU's came out to see whats on offer.
    Preference is for Samsung due to the OS. Have been a Sony fanboi to date but i'm not 100% sold on Android OS just yet.

Given that plex works really well with the samsungs also that's swinging me toward one.

Dec
    HI Germancarfan,

For a Samsung 4k under a grand, there is the 50KU6000 which is a current model - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202009-ue50ku6000.aspx at €969, but we are out of stock across the company, and waiting to hear of delivery dates. Samsung have been a bit over the place with deliveries, I think just demand has well exceeded expectation and they can't keep up.
    We'll keep you posted on this one

There are a couple of previous range 55" if they were of any interest, in and around €1049, or the new Panasonic TX50DX700 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201898-viera-tx50dx700b.aspx at €1099?

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi,
    Basic question on the 40KU6400. Does it have both a Sat and a terrestrial aerial input on the back? One that can be used for Saorview and one for FreeSat. The lack of proper manuals on the Samsung site makes simple research almost impossible.

AlanG wrote: »
    Hi,
    Basic question on the 40KU6400. Does it have both a Sat and a terrestrial aerial input on the back? One that can be used for Saorview and one for FreeSat. The lack of proper manuals on the Samsung site makes simple research almost impossible.
    HI Alan, 

Yep, the 6400 is a freeview  HD and freesat HD tv so comes with both connections

Regards
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Hi all.Can anyone tell me overall dimensions including stand for this tv ue55ku6400?
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202073-ue55ku6400.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab
    Also will you accept currency prepaid Mastercard(billing address matches delivery address).
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi all.Can anyone tell me overall dimensions including stand for this tv ue55ku6400?
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202073-ue55ku6400.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab
    Also will you accept currency prepaid Mastercard(billing address matches delivery address).
    Thanks
    HI bigboss1986, thanks for the post

The overall dimensions including stand are WxHxD - [font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1237 x 788 x 334[/font]
    [font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you can provide a proof of address by email (driving licence/Utility bill/top of banmk statement, we should be able to take payment from a prepaid card no problem[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers[/font]
    [font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brian[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am looking into getting the UE49KU6400 as well and looking to see is richersounds.ie included in Samsung's summer cashback promotion or is it the UK site only? 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I am looking into getting the UE49KU6400 as well and looking to see is richersounds.ie included in Samsung's summer cashback promotion or is it the UK site only? 
    Apologies for the delayed response!

We honour all the UK promos no problem so there is £100 of Samsung Awards available on the Samsung UE49KU6400:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202044-ue49ku6400.aspx

Keep us posted :)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

We honour all the UK promos no problem so there is 100 of Samsung Awards available on the Samsung UE49KU6400:

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Sorry the answer is not very clear to me or my question wasnt clear.

On richersounds.co.uk there's a link to Samsung Rewards terms and conditions >> http://www.richersounds.com/static/manuals/samsung_rewards_16.pdf

I assume as per usual rebates I register with Samsung in good time and get the 100 back off them or are you going to discount the TV by the amount?

We honour all the UK promos no problem so there is  100 of Samsung Awards available on the Samsung UE49KU6400:

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

On richersounds.co.uk there's a link to Samsung Rewards terms and conditions >> http://www.richersounds.com/static/manuals/samsung_rewards_16.pdf  

I assume as per usual rebates I register with Samsung in good time and get the  100 back off them or are you going to discount the TV by the amount?
    Hi,

Yes, the Samsung Rewards Scheme is done via redemption. You would buy the TV from us for full price and Samsung will process the reward when you buy another qualifying product, eg. a 4K Blu Ray player or soundbar.

If you require any additional information don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

David

We honour all the UK promos no problem so there is  100 of Samsung Awards available on the Samsung UE49KU6400:

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I assume as per usual rebates I register with Samsung in good time and get the  100 back off them or are you going to discount the TV by the amount?
    Hi,

Yes, the Samsung Rewards Scheme is done via redemption. You would buy the TV from us for full price and Samsung will process the reward when you buy another qualifying product, eg. a 4K Blu Ray player or soundbar.

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks.

Also seeing as the UK website has it slightly cheaper do i have to ring the sales line to match the price?

Regards

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi,

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks.

Also seeing as the UK website has it slightly cheaper do i have to ring the sales line to match the price?

Regards
    Hi,

I just had a look at both websites and both are coming out at £749 for the 49KU6400.

Kind Regards

David

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi,

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks.

Regards
    Hi,

I just had a look at both websites and both are coming out at £749 for the 49KU6400.

Kind Regards

David
    If you switch the price to euro its 919

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi,

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks.

Regards
    Hi,

Kind Regards

David
    That's right our Euro price is based on our current exchange rate and includes the shipping charge. To be honest with the way Sterling is at the moment you would probably be better paying in Sterling, it should work out cheaper.

Kind Regards

David

• Advertisement

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi,

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks.

Regards
    Hi,

Kind Regards

David
    That's right our Euro price is based on our current exchange rate and includes the shipping charge. To be honest with the way Sterling is at the moment you would probably be better paying in Sterling, it should work out cheaper.

Kind Regards

David
    Ok. could you check is that model available in the belfast store? id be making a trip to pick it up sat.

thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.