Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retaining wall tips - silage rotting

Options
  • 18-05-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, anybody got any tips on preventing silage rotting alongside a retaining wall when covering the pit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

curioush wrote: »
    Hi, anybody got any tips on preventing silage rotting alongside a retaining wall when covering the pit?

Put on side sheets. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curioush

Currently put plastic up the wall, but there's always a layer near the top that gets rotten by the wall. Tried putting 2 coverings over the wall and tuck in one over the silage..which improved it a good bit.

Currently put plastic up the wall, but there's always a layer near the top that gets rotten by the wall. Tried putting 2 coverings over the wall and tuck in one over the silage..which improved it a good bit.

Side sheets must go up the shoulders and across the top for a few feet.

Have that already in place with the 2nd cover and also will have 4 more covering the pit and over the retaining wall. I've asked the pit loader driver before to compress it by the wall more, but the year he did, the loader got trapped in by the wall...took for ages to get it free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Have that already in place with the 2nd cover and also will have 4 more covering the pit and over the retaining wall. I've asked the pit loader driver before to compress it by the wall more, but the year he did, the loader got trapped in by the wall...took for ages to get it free.

If he kept it rolled and filled properly along the wall he wouldn't get stuck......that's why you have rotten silage along the wall.

• Advertisement

Might be a different driver this year hopefully...

I'd be insisting on it. Walled pits are easy. No excuse for not keeping it pushed out and rolled. Only a fraction of the work of open ones or clay banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sad if you have to tell a driver how to do his job.
    One always keeps a walled pit saucer shaped when filling. Higher at the sides, constantly packing. The loader is then leaning from the wall and won't get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Maybe roll the pit yourself while he is filling it to be sure it gets enough or at least threaten it !
    Is the pit empty now ? You could have brought the contractor to take a look at the rotten sides aswell to be sure it doesn't happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yea second man rolling is great help to compaction of pit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭blackdog1

curioush wrote:

Use clear plastic and then silage sheet cover. Make sure top of wall is clean and sheet secured tightly. Black plastic let's air in. The clear stuff like cling film doesn't. I pay 120 for a massive role. Coop doesn't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Jb1989

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Use clear plastic and then silage sheet cover. Make sure top of wall is clean and sheet secured tightly. Black plastic let's air in. The clear stuff like cling film doesn't. I pay 120 for a massive role. Coop doesn't sell it.

Often seen rolls of cream coloured builders plastic used as the side sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

blackdog1 wrote: »

Is that clear plastic called Visqueen. Used it more on maize, but a lot better the the ordinary black plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Is that clear plastic called Visqueen. Used it more on maize, but a lot better the the ordinary black plastic

Yea pretty sure it's called that. It's fantastic stuff. Used it on whole crop last 2 years gonna try it on silage this year. Buying no new sheet just using the 2 old ones and the new white plastic underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭pms7

Has to be rolled out to wall. In general drivers don't bother. I've seen more waste by wall, than where no wall when done properly

Advertisement