Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnlough Road, Cabra, Dublin 7 Rail Station

Options
  • 18-05-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

There's a former CIE site along Carnlough Road in Cabra along the rail tracks that slated for mixed residential and commercial development. Next to that, however, is enough space to put in a commuter rail/ DART station, and I think it would be of great benefit to the local area. I've created a Facebook page for my idea, and would like to get the ball rolling on seeing this thing to fruition. I contacted the former Transport Minister TD Paschal Donohoe, who in turn contacted Irish Rail, and they're open to the idea. All we need now is enough local support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

What service would stop at this station? How frequently would trains stop, and where would they take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

That site has always seemed a bit wasted alright. However as mentioned, it is on an awkward line, between Heuston(but not really, skirts around the edge) and Connolly. There is a service opening on the line this year though, so if there was a station it might provide at least a peak time service to Grand Canal Dock. You'd have to model the demand for that to justify a station build.

Also, are you aware that a Luas stop is opening a bit less than a kilometre away in 2018? That is probably a better public transport option.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DrGuy

@Boulevardier: It would be along the new service that's slated to open to Connolly and the Grand Canal Docks. It would help those trying to reach those areas.

@MrMorooka: It depends on where you're headed. I personally prefer commuter rail or DART to Luas/ light rail, and it's independent of car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would imagine that they will want to get the service up and running first before going down the road of opening new stations. That will ultimately be the NTA's call. They call the shots on how transport funding is dished out.

Service level will only be one train per hour off-peak and 2-3 trains per hour at peak.

• Advertisement

@lxflyer, that's still better than nothing, and hopefully service can be expanded afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It's on the Phoenix Park Tunnel route to Connolly - you're not going to get a DART there (until whenever electrification of the Kildare & Maynooth lines happens). They may well all be open to the idea but I wouldn't think there would be funding for it. Is the 120 bus service that bad to need an occasional train service to Connolly and Grand Canal Dock?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's on the Phoenix Park Tunnel route to Connolly - you're not going to get a DART there (until whenever electrification of the Kildare & Maynooth lines happens). They may well all be open to the idea but I wouldn't think there would be funding for it. Is the 120 bus service that bad to need an occasional train service to Connolly and Grand Canal Dock?

Does the 120 serve Connolly or Pearse?

Does the 120 serve Connolly or Pearse?

Three journeys leave passengers within walking distance of Pearse in the mornings and three pass outside it in the evening.

The rest of the trips are within walking distance of Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I do not have a map of the route to hand, but is there any point on that line which could leave people near (or near-ish) to the new DIT Grangegorman campus? That would be a real plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There will be a rail station at dowth avenue in the next while.
    Another one on carnlough is overkill.

There will be a rail station at dowth avenue in the next while.
    Another one on carnlough is overkill.

That's not a railway station - it's a LUAS stop.

I do not have a map of the route to hand, but is there any point on that line which could leave people near (or near-ish) to the new DIT Grangegorman campus? That would be a real plus.

Nothing particularly close - Heuston would be as close to be honest.

lxflyer wrote: »
    That's not a railway station - it's a LUAS stop.

It will transport people into and out of Cabra. Why do we need a "train" station in carnlough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What is this doing that the Luas wont do?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    What is this doing that the Luas wont do?

The railway line is linking Kildare line stations with Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara St, Pearse and Grand Canal Dock.

The LUAS will leave people from Cabra within walking distance of Connolly, Tara St and Pearse.

It will transport people into and out of Cabra. Why do we need a "train" station in carnlough?

Well firstly it's a railway station, not a "train" station.

Personally I don't see the need, particularly once the LUAS is up and running (given that this line will never be high frequency), but to be fair it could open up journey opportunities for people who wish to travel to/from stations along the Kildare line.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well firstly it's a railway station, not a "train" station.

Personally I don't see the need, particularly once the LUAS is up and running (given that this line will never be high frequency), but to be fair it could open up journey opportunities for people who wish to travel to/from stations along the Kildare line.

Last time I looked, I took trains from "railway" stations:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Here in Phibsboro/Glasnevin might be suitable. Seems to be space on either side of the road for some sort of railwaystation construction. For Grangegorman it would be a straight walk of 1100 metres to the Luas Stop that is called 'Grangegorman', and then I think a bit more to the actual campus. Not sure whether that qualifies as 'near-ish' for you!

Would probably be a well-used station in its own right anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

It'll take people directly to Clondalkin and other SouthWestern suburbs of Dublin as well as all stops to Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'm sorry but this screams of parish pump politics nothing more.

This area already has numerous bus routes, and the luas is on its way. Broombridge is also near by walking or bus or luas.

Broombridge is one stop away from drumcondra which serves as a interchange for Kildare services and the luas interchange at broombridge will provide connection to dit etc.

I thought the point of the tunnel was to get Kildare line users to the city as quick as possible. Adding unnecessary stops to the route is not going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think the more important project would be a new station at Phibsboro/Glasnevin at the bridge by the porter house. And of course electrification of the Maynooth line and removal of remaining level crossings.

A few comments:
    1. Yes, the area is well-served by bus lines, and yes, the Luas will not be far away. That's not the point- those are slower services that do not operate independent of road traffic. This station would cut commute times for local residents who may need to travel farther and could help cut traffic congestion in the area.
    2. The Broombridge station is quite problematic, thanks to antisocial behavior around the area. It doesn't provide the required services that should be available on a rail station, and I wouldn't be surprised if some residents avoid the station for that reason. Also, switching from Broombridge to the Kildare lines at Drumcondra would actually be quite annoying for people wishing to use the service.
    3. I think infill stations at both Carnlough Road and Glasnevin are good ideas. A Glasnevin station would allow for a better switch between Maynooth and M3 Parkway-bound lines, and help ease some of the pressure for events at Croke Park.
    4. Infill stations are relatively cheap to build, and they give local residents better access to cross-country transportation services.

DrGuy wrote: »
    A few comments:
    1. Yes, the area is well-served by bus lines, and yes, the Luas will not be far away. That's not the point- those are slower services that do not operate independent of road traffic. This station would cut commute times for local residents who may need to travel farther and could help cut traffic congestion in the area.
    2. The Broombridge station is quite problematic, thanks to antisocial behavior around the area. It doesn't provide the required services that should be available on a rail station, and I wouldn't be surprised if some residents avoid the station for that reason. Also, switching from Broombridge to the Kildare lines at Drumcondra would actually be quite annoying for people wishing to use the service.
    3. I think infill stations at both Carnlough Road and Glasnevin are good ideas. A Glasnevin station would allow for a better switch between Maynooth and M3 Parkway-bound lines, and help ease some of the pressure for events at Croke Park.
    4. Infill stations are relatively cheap to build, and they give local residents better access to cross-country transportation services.

Bear in mind that the Broombridge site is about to be transformed with the new LUAS depot - it certainly won't be anywhere near as intimidating as it is now.

Also providing a station at Glasnevin is not straightforward due to clearance issues. It maybe something that could be delivered in the future but it won't be an easy fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is there any reason why this station would be less intimidating than Broombridge?

Is the issue with Broombridge to do with local yobs who have nowhere else to go - which would equally apply to a new station? Or is it something less obvious.....

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why this station would be less intimidating than Broombridge?

Is the issue with Broombridge to do with local yobs who have nowhere else to go - which would equally apply to a new station? Or is it something less obvious.....

I'm thinking that Carnlough Road is a much more trafficked area- Broombridge is only close to the industrial estate and the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Incidentally, there used to be a station at Glasnevin.

KyEP5Ly.png

Now, whether there is room these days for a full length platform and modern requirements etc, is a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭trellheim

We did a look at this some months ago; there is just space on the bend where the PPT line dives under the Midland/LUAS overbridge , beside the canal and the Maynooth line. this would allow three modes of interchange ( LUAS to two different rail lines )

Slight crayoning but would offer the fastest method of Kildare to Grangegorman , only 1 change onto a LUAS

I don't think rebuilding the station there would be ideal- it would be better slightly to the west along Royal Canal Way at the convergence of the different rail lines.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    We did a look at this some months ago; there is just space on the bend where the PPT line dives under the Midland/LUAS overbridge , beside the canal and the Maynooth line. this would allow three modes of interchange ( LUAS to two different rail lines )

Slight crayoning but would offer the fastest method of Kildare to Grangegorman , only 1 change onto a LUAS

Judging by the length of the Drumcondra station, it would be a tight fit there. What I would like to see there, however, would be a pedestrian and cycle bridge and path to connect Cabra and ultimately Phoenix Park to the Royal Canal Towpath.

Advertisement