Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lild Kayak - any use for angling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Just saw this and set me thinking if it would be handy for angling in a small lake. Its rated for 160kg but its inflatable so maybe not.....

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=40293

Looks to me like a sure way of meeting the coastguard chopper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just saw this and set me thinking if it would be handy for angling in a small lake. Its rated for 160kg but its inflatable so maybe not.....

Perfect for angling if you have a death wish. Id imagine at €50 the quality is pretty poor, add in sharp hooks and youd probably be swimming more than paddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

It might be alright if you had some sort of tray in to put rigged dead baits in then paddle out to where you can't cast to! I wouldn't even entertain the idea of casting from an inflatable. If your on a big lake and away from the shore and a hook punctures it not only are you goin to get very wet but you'll lose all your gear too!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

I wouldn't recommend this at all really DrD, I fell into Lough Melvin last year around September and that was almost a rescue, it was so so cold.

thankfully I was close to shore and friends in a Curragh boat near me. Even getting to shore and drying out was a struggle.

Putting yourself in an inflatable like that and it's only a matter of time before you get wet.

Stay safe :-)

Sys

Yep, thought it was a no-goer :) Was thinking something like that might be handy for the small inland lakes with poor bank access....

• Advertisement

Yep, thought it was a no-goer :) Was thinking something like that might be handy for the small inland lakes with poor bank access....

I've thought about getting one before and honestly, when I really thought about it, it scared me how easy it would be to get dunked! If your after pike, my earlier suggestion is really the only way it could be used. Then there's the hassle of packing/unpacking, inflate/deflate. Tying a long lenght of rope off to the bank to pull yourself back in if you get into trouble! Too much hassle really!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

how about this simple solution :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omsbAFqgpzM

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The Coastguard and RNLI have condemned them as lethal. If you want to fish from a kayak, get a proper fishing kayak - expect to pay a bit more than €50 though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Someone used one of the Lidl inflatable dinghies for fishing in Carlingford Lough - I used to look away in fear every time I saw him. I believe he was rescued once by the coastguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Get yourself a floatube. You can pick up a Shakespeare expedition secondhand for under 100 and they are pretty much bombproof. I've 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

buy a solid one....the RNLI and the Coastguard have rescued loads of people from these cheap inflatables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

"holds 2 adults":D

"holds 2 adults":D

160kg maximum weight. That me and less than half of me again and I'm not even a big lad!! 😂

gumbo1 wrote: »
    160kg maximum weight. That me and less than half of me again and I'm not even a big lad!! 😂

Dont forget to add in 20kgs for the fishing gear you need and another 30kgs for the gear you dont need but will bring anyway.

.red. wrote: »
    Dont forget to add in 20kgs for the fishing gear you need and another 30kgs for the gear you dont need but will bring anyway.

And then, of course, the 20lb+ pike I'd be pulling into it! (",)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Auldloon wrote: »
    Get yourself a floatube. You can pick up a Shakespeare expedition secondhand for under 100 and they are pretty much bombproof. I've 2.

+1 on these - the belly boat is an excellent solution and much, much safer than that Lidl thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

.red. wrote: »

20kg for the gear you'll use?? Are you planning on using a whaling spear gun??

20kg for the gear you'll use?? Are you planning on using a whaling spear gun??

Go big or go home!

Advertisement