Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Byrne 200/160/100 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

In terms of pacing yourself on this , would anyone have any tips? I know the question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string?' I suppose it is just the first 80k that are tricky....

The 100km is tough enough. In terms of climbing, you're on the same route as everyone for the first 40km. The climbs start at the beginning in Dalkey village so make sure you have a nice low gear on the back. There isn't much flat in the first 25km and you just keep going upwards. Once you reach the top of Old Long Hill (Djouce Woods) you have a bit of a break into Roundwood. The climbs aren't so steep and there's some descending. After Roundwood you descend a bit more until you have a sharp right and then you're slogging up and around a mountain to get to Laragh, be careful on the descent down the hill, the road surface isn't great in places and fairly narrow.

In Laragh you've time to get your breath back, the food stop is there in the Brockagh Centre. Then you've got the long slow climb for 20km up to Sally Gap. A nice descent into Enniskerry will give you a break before the last drag out of Enniskerry. Down to Shankill from Kilternan and then the sting in the tail that is Vico Road!

You'll be grand, just pretend it's a mountain stage in the Giro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Has anyone on here done the 100k before? It seems most lads on here are much hardier than myself and fitter too, another lad and myself are doing the 100, my first 100 of the year and fitness levels aren't ideal for this but the challenge looks fairly tempting.

In terms of pacing yourself on this , would anyone have any tips? I know the question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string?' I suppose it is just the first 80k that are tricky....

Thanks
    Break it down mentally and focus on sections at a time. The old long hill is a bit of a drag but it fairly flat after Roundwood. Then focus on the foodstop at Laragh at around 55k. There's the long drag out of Laragh through Glenmacnass but it's not steep and you'll be refreshed after the foodstop. It also very scenic along here. Towards the Sally Gap can be tedious in a headwind but again nothing steep. When you get to the turn off at Glencree, it's mainly downhill to the end except for a few short ramps. You'll be fine - think of it as a Sunday ride with a bit of extra climbing.

Luxman wrote: »
    ...The run home from Sally Gap feels like winning the lotto, they even painted a smiley face on the road at that cross roads meaning you more or less made it home.
    Reminds me of the feeling of going over the Devil's Elbow after 14 hours or so in the saddle and knowing that I've almost made it to the end of the Boards Evil Ride! (Which has a lot more climbing than the MB200).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Luxman, Nameless Phil and Wishbone Ash, thanks a million for the replies and advice. It is great to get the bit of insight in to the parts of the spin We will take heed of that and certainly we will be aiming to finish as opposed to worry about Strava or pushing any pace early on so. We won't worry about anything containing the word 'evil' for a long time yet.

It seems like a great day out and reading the threads from other years it sounds like if you can finish the Mick Byrne, you are set up for most leisurely sportives for the rest of the year. The weather forecast looks to be favourable too which is a big help.

Best of luck to all on here who are going on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Break it down mentally and focus on sections at a time.

I think this is key.

I did the lap de gaps 100km a few weeks back on a hybrid and to be honest i didnt find it that difficult at all. It's the first hilly sportif Ive done. That took in the sally gap and wicklow way. I hope if i could get through that then ill last the test on sunday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

3556m vertical.
    Zen0 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus! Now you're really putting the fear of God into me! :eek:

Will be very surprised (and even shocked) if it's anywhere close to that amount of climbing. Sorrento link to Bikemap.net gives 2790m and there's another version of it there at 2450m.

My records from doing the 160 in 2014 show 2200m (which tallies with Bikemap) and 2551m last year.

I think the best policy is to assume the lowest figure you can find when thinking of signing up, a middling figure on the day and the highest for the weeks after you complete it. See you all bright and early in the morning. I'll also be in Swords CC gear and hope to make it a triple with WA after Donegal Bay and the Orwell Randonee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Will be very surprised (and even shocked) if it's anywhere close to that amount of climbing. Sorrento link to Bikemap.net gives 2790m and there's another version of it there at 2450m.

My records from doing the 160 in 2014 show 2200m (which tallies with Bikemap) and 2551m last year.

I think the best policy is to assume the lowest figure you can find when thinking of signing up, a middling figure on the day and the highest for the weeks after you complete it. See you all bright and early in the morning. I'll also be in Swords CC gear and hope to make it a triple with WA after Donegal Bay and the Orwell Randonee.
    Sorry that 3.5k refers to the 200k spin. Sorry for any confusion. That what my garmin recorded last year

Forecast looks pretty good! :)

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/County_Wicklow~2960935/hour_by_hour.html

I might consider using the summer bike as the front derailleur on the Fuji was giving trouble on today's ride. (Don't think I'm ready to do the MB in the big ring yet!)

Will be very surprised (and even shocked) if it's anywhere close to that amount of climbing. Sorrento link to Bikemap.net gives 2790m and there's another version of it there at 2450m...
    Sorrento CC webpage says it's over 3,000m!
    ..and the 200km has over 3000 mtrs of climbing, a true challenge and a tougher day than the W200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For the 200km route last year NamelessPhil's Garmin recorded it as over 3,200m of climbing. Mine recorded it as a little more because I was mucking about a bit as preparation for a hilly stage race a week later.

Garmins can certainly be contrary yokes and consistency isn't their strongest point, but I reckon it's safe to assume it'll be over 3,000m of climbing for the 200km route. That sounds worse than it is though, being spread out over such a distance helps and when the sun is shining (fingers crossed!) everything seems easier anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Ah! Yiz can stop now! I have resigned myself to a day of suffering. Reassurances from nameless Phil, Wishbone Ash or Doozerie are meaningless. I need reassurances from some big fat guy with a wooden leg. I'll be the slow guy in the Tiernan's jersey.

...I might consider using the summer bike as the front derailleur on the Fuji was giving trouble on today's ride. (Don't think I'm ready to do the MB in the big ring yet!)
    Sorted now (I think!) so it will be the Fuji.
    doozerie wrote: »
    ...Garmins can certainly be contrary yokes and consistency isn't their strongest point..
    Indeed. I have an 810 which can act up at times. On long rides I also take the old 500 as a back up (just in case the 810 decides to switch itself off half way through). I've noticed that when both are set to record the exact same ride, the 500 records about 5% more elevation and about 1% more distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've noticed that when both are set to record the exact same ride, the 500 records about 5% more elevation and about 1% more distance.

The 500 is only little, it has to work harder to travel the same distance as the bigger 810, so its measure reflects the extra effort involved.

Like with humans. I speak for all little people when I say that rides feel longer and more climb-ey for us! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Zen0 wrote:
    Ah! Yiz can stop now! I have resigned myself to a day of suffering. Reassurances from nameless Phil, Wishbone Ash or Doozerie are meaningless. I need reassurances from some big fat guy with a wooden leg. I'll be the slow guy in the Tiernan's jersey.

Don't have a wooden leg but as a "larger" cyclist I survived the 160 last year......just
    😞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sorry that 3.5k refers to the 200k spin. Sorry for any confusion. That what my garmin recorded last year

I suppose all the different climbing figures prove is that you can plot a route on three different programmes and record it on three different Garmins and end up with six widely diverging figures. The hills aren't going to miraculously flatten out and the legs aren't going to sprout new muscles overnight. Going easy on the drink tonight might help I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I The hills aren't going to miraculously flatten out
    No, but you'd think they'd have been worn down a bit now the amount of times we've been over them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I suppose all the different climbing figures prove is that you can plot a route on three different programmes and record it on three different Garmins and end up with six widely diverging figures. The hills aren't going to miraculously flatten out and the legs aren't going to sprout new muscles overnight. Going easy on the drink tonight might help I suppose.

I've been testing Garmins of late and I "think" a lot of the differences are down to the "internals" and things like GPS Accuracy, such as the Edge 1000 being down to 3m. I'm edging towards it being bigger =/= to its expensiveness. it acts completely differently to other garmins I have played with.

When I can track down what the bleedin' internals are, I'll hopefully answer my own questions.

that aside, Best of luck to all of you doing the MB tomorrow!

... Going easy on the drink tonight might help I suppose.
    Plenty of drink the night before is an integral part of long sportives! I can't imagine starting one without being hungover - that's why I usually have to cycle out to the start line! :D

.. Best of luck to all of you doing the MB tomorrow!
    Now what's your excuse?

That Garmin 1000 you have needs to see regular action - and I'm not talking about commutes. Otherwise we'll have to arrange to put a CPO on it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Don't for get the sun cream tomorrow. Looks like it's gonna be a nice day throughout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Probably because the thoughts of listening to you all day, Wishbone Ash, is a level of suffering hard to him to bear.

At least that would be my excuse!

Best of luck tomorrow everyone! Looking forward to 8 ish hours of self-flagellation in the heat. Wishbone Ash are you cycling down to dalkey tomorrow?

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Probably because the thoughts of listening to you all day, Wishbone Ash, is a level of suffering hard to him to bear.

At least that would be my excuse!
    :eek: I don't talk much on the bike! :)
    ...Wishbone Ash are you cycling down to dalkey tomorrow?
    No driving down. (I'm doing Mizen to Malin during the week so I'm resting the legs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's almost 5pm! What... Nobody finished yet? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

07Lapierre wrote: »

:) me! But I 'only' did the 160K

Savage day out....thanks to everyone in Sorrento for putting on this event (and for allowing me to enter it after I stupidly missed the deadline).

Got round in just over 6hrs, so was happy with that. Lost a lot of the front group at one point where we all overshot a right turn and we never saw them again (hope yee all found yer way back on track guys!)

Amazing scenery on the route - not least of it the views out over Dalkey with all the boats out on the water and all the people out enjoying the sun (but still getting in our way and losing me a couple of minutes ha! )

Finished the 200km. Nice meeting you wishbone ash, I was the fella in the howth cc jersey chatting with you during the cycle. Came up vico road with 'needmoregears', didnt catch his name. Well done all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Probably too short for wishbone so he decided to do it again and again and again. What time does it get dark at?

bazermc wrote: »
    Probably too short for wishbone so he decided to do it again and again and again. What time does it get dark at?

Hes gone home. But i'd say he's back on his bike alright hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My 3rd MB, the toughest one so far - I haven't cycled more than 100km in last 10 months, and only a handful of times. Finished in 8,5h.

Met WA, Nameless Phil, Cdaly, doozerie, needmoregears, Mercian Pro and devonp - great chatting to you guys, even if not for too long with some!

A glorious day for my favourite long route ever. See you all next year!

• Advertisement

Another great day on the bike. My first MB200. Tougher than many 4,000m+ rides that I have done. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Great to meet many old and new faces and thank to Paul and his team for organising.

(Ended up with 197.6k :()

Advertisement