Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro 15" 2010 (No upgrades) to El Capitan?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Ive a Macbook Pro 15" 2010 (No upgrades) and was debating whether to upgrade to El Capitan. Did anyone here upgrade an old MBP to El Capitan?

One of my friends upgraded their Macbook Pro, slightly newer than mine and they said it bricked their Macbook, so Im concerned it'll mess mine up. Do you think I should upgrade?

Also, my batteries condition is replace soon and I hear a clicking noise sometimes, probably my hard drive.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Backup using Time Machine first and you'll be fine. I run El Capitan on a 2009 MBP, no problems.

I find it unlikely that it bricked your friend's machine. Probably it just died due to a hardware fault and it was coincidence. Or it didn't brick it, it just caused problems that could have been resolved by doing a clean install.

But if your hard drive is making loud clicking noises I wouldn't go upgrading or doing anything except backing up immediately. Is it the same hard drive that came in the machine? Because I read HDDs their last rites after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Backup using Time Machine first and you'll be fine. I run El Capitan on a 2009 MBP, no problems.

I find it unlikely that it bricked your friend's machine. Probably it just died due to a hardware fault and it was coincidence. Or it didn't brick it, it just caused problems that could have been resolved by doing a clean install.

But if your hard drive is making loud clicking noises I wouldn't go upgrading or doing anything except backing up immediately. Is it the same hard drive that came in the machine? Because I read HDDs their last rites after 3 years.

Thanks. The clicking is very sporadic. Not very loud when it does it.

Yeah, its the hard drive that came with it. I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything myself to it, no matter how small.

If I buy a portable 2tb hard drive, can I backup to it and still use the remaining memory on it like a normal external hard drive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If I buy a portable 2tb hard drive, can I backup to it and still use the remaining memory on it like a normal external hard drive?

Sure, that's what I do.

Sure, that's what I do.

Great. Thanks. I think Ill go for it.
    :D
    Sick of the look of Mavericks 10.9.5.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Axlan

El Capitan will struggle on an old MacBook Pro with less than 8GB Ram.

I updated and happy to have the new UI and features. Glad to see Whatsapp actually works now!

Advertisement