Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a good leather sofa?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

I can think of Curley's and EzLiving but is that it in terms of places you can get a sofa?
    I'm not looking for a cheap one so Argos is out, anywhere more decent out there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Home Gallery, above Born in Newtownsmith.

Craughwell Furniture, if you're prepared to travel out of town a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There's also Furniture Connexions in Ballybrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Bought a leather backed chair in ezliving and 5 years later it has cracked and split, so much so that I am debating bringing it back. If it is leather, it was not good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you really need to be sure when buying you are comparing like with like and genuine leather with genuine leather.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is it just me or does Galway have a serious lack of good furniture shops.

I'm from Limerick originally and there's way more on offer down there, I presume it's not a big deal as it's an hour down the road and they always deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

+ 1 craughwell furniture. It is nicely laid out and the sofas I bought there 3 years ago still look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check on adverts and donedeal
    There may be sofas going from people that are moving etc
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_sofa/county-Galway/
    https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=sofa&area=Galway

This one is brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks a million for those responses. I hadn't heard of a few of those places so I'll check them out.
    We definitely need a bit more choice though, before the recession we were tripping over sofa shops, I hadn't noticed they'd all disappeared at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you check IKEA over in the pale?
    You can get one deliever using one of those "man and van" services.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Caseys in Limerick. Fab stuff but pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Small but off topic, but heres a good guide on maintaining leather both real (very rare and expensive) and the modern take on leather. Feeding / applying the cream once every 6 months really makes a difference to appearance and longevity

https://www.furnitureclinic.com/Leather_Food.php

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Merlin Furniture is another option, they're on the right just as you enter Roscam estate at Doughiska junction. Have my eye on a leather 3+2 once I get the funds together. They've been there for years and weathered the recession better than some of the more familiar names. Bit old school in terms of layout and size but owner is knowledgeable and friendly. Would be interested if anyone else has had experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

They're in Clare but they deliver free to Galway

http://www.broderick-furniture.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I took a look in Merlin Furniture recently but the layout put me off, the furniture seemed to be all over the place and a lot of it was quite dated. Much prefer the EZ Living or Curley's experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

https://www.bigmickey.ie/product-category/living-room-furniture/sofas/

Big Mickey had given me a grand servicing in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

+1 for Merlin Furniture - bought good bit of stuff there a few years back which has all lasted very well...I understand the layout would put people off, but there's a heap of catalogues and they can get you pretty much anything.

Other stuff I bought elsewhere in Galway (think pigs tail, ahem) fell apart within a few months use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just thought I'd update this thread and say I got my sofa in the Merlin Furniture centre and it's really lovely and great quality. I have to give the thumbs up to the store. The guy there was lovely, even gave me a cup of coffee while I looked around and went out of his way to be helpful, it wasn't the full on sales assault at all.
    It's great to be able to praise a local business so I decided not to let it go unsaid here in case it's of use to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Have a look in the Cash Factory on the Tuam Road. Was there recently and it seems to have had some kind of makeover. A lot of sofas on the ground floor. Some were what looked like leather. Some in good condition. Some not. it is a second hand place I think. Although some of the furniture appears brand new. I got a very good chest of drawers there at a good price a number of years ago. They deliver and install/assemble too.You might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »
    Have a look in the Cash Factory on the Tuam Road. Was there recently and it seems to have had some kind of makeover. A lot of sofas on the ground floor. Some were what looked like leather. Some in good condition. Some not. it is a second hand place I think. Although some of the furniture appears brand new. I got a very good chest of drawers there at a good price a number of years ago. They deliver and install/assemble too.You might be lucky.

Did you miss the post above yours???

• Advertisement

Did you miss the post above yours???

Clearly.

Thanks for taking your time to post that!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Don't forget the outlet store in the Liosban estate.
    I think it sells EZliving off cuts.

I got a L-shaped sofa in there for 600 euro last year.
    About a third of the normal price. Had some shop wear but great value.

Ben,

I think your services are called upon again!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Just thought I'd update this thread and say I got my sofa in the Merlin Furniture centre and it's really lovely and great quality. I have to give the thumbs up to the store. The guy there was lovely, even gave me a cup of coffee while I looked around and went out of his way to be helpful, it wasn't the full on sales assault at all.
    It's great to be able to praise a local business so I decided not to let it go unsaid here in case it's of use to someone else.

I'd forgotten about this thread so to update my previous post I went on to purchase the leather 3+2 suite in Merlin Furniture. Quality product, very happy and also got a discount on a lovely oak dining table.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

bobbyss wrote: »

On the lookout for kids room furniture..will drop by for a look this weekend. thanks for posting

Advertisement