Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a beginners bike!

• 18-05-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a road bike this week with the cycle to work scheme. I live about 12km from work (mostly back roads) so I was wondering if anyone could recommend something as I'm clueless!

I'm going to go into the tallaght cycle store (think that's the name of it) this week to look around, I just don't want to get ripped off as soon as I say I'm paying through the bike to work scheme.

Any suggestions would be welcome! 1000e budget as far as I'm aware. Looking for a road bike, not hybrid etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Giant defy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

rizzee wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping to get a road bike this week with the cycle to work scheme. I live about 12km from work (mostly back roads) so I was wondering if anyone could recommend something as I'm clueless!

I'm going to go into the tallaght cycle store (think that's the name of it) this week to look around, I just don't want to get ripped off as soon as I say I'm paying through the bike to work scheme.

Any suggestions would be welcome! 1000e budget as far as I'm aware. Looking for a road bike, not hybrid etc

Thanks

Giant Defy is a good bike for that price. This years versions are in some very nice colors as well.

As far as getting ripped off, i don't think that will happen. They are not second hands car salesmen and most bike shops have set prices for the bikes and its just more about getting a better deal,maybe some parts thrown in or a discount which you should ask for. If your company pays by cash then you will get more of a discount.

The Giant shop on the Naas road is a good place to start and they have good after sales service if anything goes wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I got Cannondale CAAD8 on B2W a few weeks ago. Loving it. Pretty light, quite comfortable and damn if it's not a good looking bike to boot!

Defy was on my shortlist too, as was the Trek 1.2.

Any of those will pretty much chew up your full allowance, so if you were looking to buy locks, helmet and shorts (you'll really need them for any of those three) or other stuff, you'll either have to go down in spec or pay out for that separately. Worth spending as much as you can on the bike though IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks a mil for the replies!!

I'm going to go into the shop tomorrow and have a good look around for something that will suit me. Will keep you updated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Definitely ask for the shop to throw in some accessories like a pump, helmet, etc. if you are spending your full allowance.

I got some of that thrown in when my bill started to go over a grand.

• Advertisement

I got a Cannondale Synapse, Croni Dinamica Nylon shoes, extra pedals, another set of tyres and. 6 week safety check service . He put it through as 1000 as it was just over the limit . He said he'll give me accessories when I come in to collect it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I got a Bentini Monza about 3 years ago, the bike was €880.00, I got a krptonite lock, spare tubes, clip in pedals, shoes, pump and saddle bag, the total came to just over €1,100.00. Ask for as much as you can get, must shops will offer 12 months servicing, my tuppence worth, go to your local LBS, speak with the mechanic/owner. the free servicing I was offered while i thought was a good offer turned out to be not so great, (just sloppy silly mistakes, wheel put on backwards & a loose bb)

Oh and get cycling shorts, your ass will thank you!

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

saccades wrote: »
    Giant defy.

+1
    I've mine 3 years now, done many a sportive on it, including the Maratona Dles Dolomites (tomoro's Giro stage :)) and its a fine bike.
    I like it because its very comfortable, and I do suffer with my back a lot at times.
    I've the Defy 1 with 105 and have upgraded wheels and saddle since I got it.
    Very happy with it and think it stills looks well, wont be changing for another 2 years at least, until Im due another cycle to work.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I got a Bentini Monza about 3 years ago, the bike was €880.00, I got a krptonite lock, spare tubes, clip in pedals, shoes, pump and saddle bag, the total came to just over €1,100.00. Ask for as much as you can get, must shops will offer 12 months servicing, my tuppence worth, go to your local LBS, speak with the mechanic/owner. the free servicing I was offered while i thought was a good offer turned out to be not so great, (just sloppy silly mistakes, wheel put on backwards & a loose bb)

Oh and get cycling shorts, your ass will thank you!

best of luck

Thanks! Yeah currently looking into the shorts, shirt/bibs, socks and stuff online, I literally have nothing to get me started than my gym gear :pac:

Advertisement