Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re VAT registration

Options
  • 18-05-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello,

I run a Guest home and have a question re VAT.

A friend of mine informed me all B&B's should now be VAT registered.

This came as news to me as I had not heard of any changes in VAT rules and I've been running a B&B for over 20 years.

Can anyone provide guidance on the rules re VAT registration for B&B's and is it worthwile if optional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It's not dependent on what
    Industry you're in but what level of turnover you have.

As a service provider, if your turnover is €37,500 or more then you should be registered for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Hello,

I run a Guest home and have a question re VAT.

A friend of mine informed me all B&B's should now be VAT registered.

This came as news to me as I had not heard of any changes in VAT rules and I've been running a B&B for over 20 years.

Can anyone provide guidance on the rules re VAT registration for B&B's and is it worthwile if optional?
    It's probably best to check with your accountant and see what he/she advises, since it will depend on your circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

I am not aware of any specific requirement to register just because you are a B&B but it may be worthwhile to look at this with your accountant as the current 9% rate you would have to charge/pay may be easily offset by being able to claim back vat of up to 23% on some of your expenses

Advertisement