Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased faulty item - can't return to the store in person

Options
  • 18-05-2016 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Port Laoise yesterday, and purchased a baby stroller in one of the shops.
    It was on sale (€20 off) and they had only last one so I took one from display.

Once strapping my child to it for the first time today, harness belt snapped, so at the moment stroller is useless.

I rang the shop, and they demand that I deliver the stroller in person so they can have a look at it.

It's not possible, as I live on the other side of the country, and cost of travel would be higher than value of the stroller.

I proposed to deliver them the stroller through post, but they refuse saying it might get damaged in post.

What are my rights? Are they rightly refusing to accept stroller return through post or courier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It is not unusual for items to get damaged during transit through courier/post.

In fairness to the shop, it is not their issue that you live so far away from where the stroller was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you bought in person you should return in person. If you bought online then there may be a different procedure for returns. Would emailing them some photos be acceptable so they can see the damage?

If return is not viable or too expensive for you why not bring it to a seamstress or similar and have the strap repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

what is the replacement value of this item to you?

I understand you paid 20 EUR on it as it was on sale, but if you were to buy it out of sale would the cost be more than the travel expense? If so, then its worth your while to go and get it replaced/repaired/refunded by the shop. If you do go back, make sure you make an appointment with them and tell them that you expect a resolution there and then (ie not have to comeback a second time).

They probably think you are chancing your arm to get your 20quid back (you'd be surprised what some people do).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

daheff wrote: »
    I understand you paid 20 EUR on it as it was on sale,

It was reduced by €20, it didn't cost €20.

Do you know anyone else who might be heading that way and could drop it in for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

daheff wrote: »
    what is the replacement value of this item to you?

I understand you paid 20 EUR on it as it was on sale, but if you were to buy it out of sale would the cost be more than the travel expense? If so, then its worth your while to go and get it replaced/repaired/refunded by the shop. If you do go back, make sure you make an appointment with them and tell them that you expect a resolution there and then (ie not have to comeback a second time).

They probably think you are chancing your arm to get your 20quid back (you'd be surprised what some people do).

Item regular price was €50. Was reduced by €20 so final price I paid was €30.

Cost of driving there is €50 on petrol on it's own + probably about 7 hours of my time. Completely not worth it.

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »

Do you know anyone else who might be heading that way and could drop it in for you?

No. Unfortunately.

sconhome wrote: »
    If you bought in person you should return in person. If you bought online then there may be a different procedure for returns. Would emailing them some photos be acceptable so they can see the damage?
    I emailed them photos today. Didn't get reply yet.
    If return is not viable or too expensive for you why not bring it to a seamstress or similar and have the strap repaired?

I think that what I'll need to do.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    It is not unusual for items to get damaged during transit through courier/post.

In fairness to the shop, it is not their issue that you live so far away from where the stroller was purchased.

Of course it's not their issue, but I can't understand why they don't want to accept the item through post.

In the end of the day if it really get's damaged in transit (which I think is unlikely) then it will be my problem.

But if it arrives intact, then they should treat it the same as if I brought it in person.

Or is there any consumer law stating that it needs to be brought in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post or courier is going to cost you Rather A Lot both ways (and won't be refundable as you didn't buy the item by post) - very easily more than €30. I would personally write this down to buy cheap buy twice - if it wasn't something I actually needed I'd hold on until I was passing again if there was any chance of that within a reasonable period.

Advertisement