Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation fees when moving home

Options
  • 18-05-2016 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Do cancellation fees apply when terminating a contract early due to moving home? I mean for home services: TV, electricity, gas etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well call then and find out. It depends on the company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Well call then and find out. It depends on the company

So there's no regulation on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

simple answer is yes. if you terminate your contact early you could be liable for termination fees; as per terms and conditions of your service

But if you contact the provider and ask nicely they may assist you.

i cancelled a sky contract early a few years ago when i was moving house because they could not supply service to my new apt, they waived any fee.

UPC moved my service to my new address when i last moved, avoiding any fees.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You sign up to a contract and terminate it early, then yes termination fee's would apply in the vast majority of cases.
    As mentioned above if you ask nicely then they may waive them based on a situation but they have no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Fees apply, but you can transfer the service to the new home or new tenants can take over the contract, if applicable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

qrx wrote: »

No regulation. Why would there be?

Some providers are OK about it. Some are better if you're moving to somewhere they don't serve (bins, TV companies etc) but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

L1011 wrote: »
    No regulation. Why would there be?

So people don't get fleeced. It's a different scenario to what you are agreeing to. You're not breaking a contract, you're just moving home. Fair enough if you can get the service in your new home then maybe sign up with them again. But not always possible.

glad to hear peoples experience is that providers seem to be ok about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So people don't get fleeced. It's a different scenario to what you are agreeing to. You're not breaking a contract, you're just moving home. Fair enough if you can get the service in your new home then maybe sign up with them again. But not always possible.

What would be the point of the contract if you could just abandon it by moving? Your install fees are paid by the tariff + contract, if providers were not allowed such we'd all pay €150 setup fees for broadband, similar for the other services or tenants would have to pay premium rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're breaking a contract, not being fleeced.

Would it be OK for your employer to move, lay you off and give no redundancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Eircom make you sign into a new contract at new location or charge you termination fees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Yes it is regulated by contract law in the terms and conditions you signed up for in your supply contract. Usually under "Cancellation".

Remember its a contract you signed - BOTH sides have obligations and obligations are written clearly. Problem is one side (the consumer) usually never bothers to actually read what they are signing.

Termination fees are anythign from one month to payment for the remainder of the minimum term signed up for.

If you are transfering ther service to the new address, then the contract may move. If the new address cannot take the service, that is not the fault of the supplier and the temrination fee applies - as written in the contract.

So, simple, read the contracta dn you'll knwo what termination fee applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It can be cheaper to keep paying for the service and wait until the contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

rubadub wrote: »
    It can be cheaper to keep paying for the service and wait until the contract runs out.

Not necessarily, providers cannot charge you VAT on a service that isn't being provided so if their charge is for the remainder of the contract they must minus VAT from this. I know some providers like UPC charge a flat termination fee so in those cases it may work out better to continue paying monthly, but it's not a one size fits all answer, different options may be better with different providers

Advertisement