Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Clothes

Options
  • 18-05-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering where you all get your maternity clothes?

I have got a few bits from H&M, New Look and Debenhams. But can't really find any work wear (suit dresses and trousers) or summer wear (shorts). I had a quick look at Next but it was a little pricey.

I also chatted to the a girl in Penneys and she said they've stopped the maternity range for now...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I know I sounds like an ad for them I mention them so much but Jo Jo Maman Bebe

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/pu+maternity+clothes+1

Got some nice work pieces there, not cheap but not madly expensive.

I got a great work dress in Mothercare- black, knee length, gathered at the front. I have been wearing it to death with the only suit jacket that still fits me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Yours clothing online, George at asda mother care all good for work clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

brokensoul wrote: »
    I know I sounds like an ad for them I mention them so much but Jo Jo Maman Bebe

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/pu+maternity+clothes+1

Got some nice work pieces there, not cheap but not madly expensive.

I got a great work dress in Mothercare- black, knee length, gathered at the front. I have been wearing it to death with the only suit jacket that still fits me!

You're a diamond brokensoul, just found a swimsuit (20% off too) and a dress perfect for work - thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I use all of the above and Seraphine.com.....bit pricey but have regular sales and you can get some decent pieces for work there.
    I hate maternity clothes shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I got most of my work dresses from ASOS. A word of warning though, their own brand is large fitting so go a size down. I found the other brands true to size. They have a good sale section on the website too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Many contrats stickybean! :)

My best performing work clothes were from Benetton maternity range, which i found very tricky to get in 2014, so i don't know if they discontinued. They have live chat on their website, so maybe ask.

Isabella oliver brand i found good as well. Their longish ruched tops were so bloody handy though, especially if you keep wearing your own pants or skirts with an elastic tie. I think i had the poppy or sofia tops. Stick a normal blazer or cardi over them and you're sorted.

Dunnes maternity i found good too for everyday workwear.

pwurple wrote: »
    Many contrats stickybean! :)

My best performing work clothes were from Benetton maternity range, which i found very tricky to get in 2014, so i don't know if they discontinued. They have live chat on their website, so maybe ask.

Isabella oliver brand i found good as well. Their longish ruched tops were so bloody handy though, especially if you keep wearing your own pants or skirts with an elastic tie. I think i had the poppy or sofia tops. Stick a normal blazer or cardi over them and you're sorted.

Dunnes maternity i found good too for everyday workwear.

Thanks pwurple

I didn't know Dunnes had a maternity section, but I will definitely give them a try. And also Benetton.

Thanks all x

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got most of mine from H&M (not all specifically from the maternity range - some stretchy and flowy tops from normal ranges) and I got a few bits from Next online too. I work in IT so could get away with wearing pretty much a uniform of vest top, cardigan, maternity jeans and Converse all the way through to maternity leave at 37 weeks - workwear was never something I really focused on.

I wouldn't bother with M&S's maternity range (not sure if in any stores in Ireland?) - a lot of it looked like my mum would find it old looking!

Mothercare can be quite variable - some lovely bits, some absolute rags. Nursing nightwear is pretty good, I got some very comfortable nursing PJs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I've found jojomamanbebe great so far although haven't bought all that much.
    The store on Wicklow St is great.

My main most useful purchases have been two dresses, one long sleeved, one short sleeved.
    They're comfy but great no matter what I'm doing whether it's work or lounging around the house.
    I wear the short sleeved one with a long sleeved t-shirt underneath.

I'm now awaiting one package from H&M and one package from jojomamanbebe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

This site looks amazing! Might buy one or two things from here. Not the cheapest but the stuff looks good.

http://en.emoi-emoi.com/maternity-nursing-fashion.html

This one is a bit more affordable
    http://www.enviedefraise.co.uk/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

stickybean wrote: »
    Thanks pwurple

I didn't know Dunnes had a maternity section, but I will definitely give them a try. And also Benetton.

Thanks all x

Dunnes don't do maternity wear. I even emailed them to ask them if they did it and they said no and that they don't have any plans to do any maternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

All my clothes for my second pregnancy were from Debenhams, great selection and have lasted well, have donated them on to two friends. On my first I got some in h&m, mothercare and new look, most went in the bin as I hated them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I found the whole maternity clothes selection a nightmare. Topshop was my saviour for great jeans. Never found trousers or tops that fit me so in the end survived mainly on buying normal tops in bigger sizes for work. I did find debhanams good for maternity dresses. Now my bump is very small so that might be why some maternity stuff didn't work for me. I'm 36 weeks now+ there are still people who think I am only about 5 mths pregnant.

I was up North over the weekend and went into Peacocks. I didn't even know they did maternity clothes.

They were so reasonable (they also had a sale rail which was half price). I didn't like their suit trousers, they had a funny cut, but I got 2 pairs of really nice jeans a dress and a few tops. They had some summer stuff on the sale rail, I just grabbed some shorts and a dress for only £5

I know they have opened a branch in Dublin recently too. Definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

I haven't bought a thing yet and I think I'm beginning to pop! Living in dresses and leggings these days. The jeans are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

https://www.facebook.com/maternityfashionireland/

http://www.maternityfashion.ie/

I like the clothes on this site, affordable and wearable. Might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone know which Penney's stores have maternity wear currently in stock, other than Mary St. in Dublin?

Also any good recommendations for nice chiffon tops and/or cargo pants for wearing during the Summer?

lastly for now, I have a Debenhams or a M&S close to me for bra fitting - any recommendations for one over the other?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

duedate wrote: »
    Does anyone know which Penney's stores have maternity wear currently in stock, other than Mary St. in Dublin?

Also any good recommendations for nice chiffon tops and/or cargo pants for wearing during the Summer?

lastly for now, I have a Debenhams or a M&S close to me for bra fitting - any recommendations for one over the other?

Thanks!

They seem to have got rid if maternity wear in the Tralee store, apart from a few maternity bras & night wear. They barely did anything anyway, it was a really poor effort!

Posted in the pregnancy bargain thread already but Lidl have some nice bits of maternity wear at the moment.

Dresses for €9 and tops for €6/€7 - can't go wrong with that!

They have tights and leggings too but I find both too hot at the moment so didn't bother to check them out.

• Advertisement

brokensoul wrote: »
    Posted in the pregnancy bargain thread already but Lidl have some nice bits of maternity wear at the moment.

Dresses for €9 and tops for €6/€7 - can't go wrong with that!

They have tights and leggings too but I find both too hot at the moment so didn't bother to check them out.

The summer dresses are nice actually. I was going to get two, but I just went for the plain navy one in the end as it looks like it can be worn when not pregnant, whereas the striped dress was more maternity. The quality seems nice and it fitted nice enough when I tried it on at home. I didn't get the bra's as I couldn't figure out their sizes!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The summer dresses are nice actually. I was going to get two, but I just went for the plain navy one in the end as it looks like it can be worn when not pregnant, whereas the striped dress was more maternity. The quality seems nice and it fitted nice enough when I tried it on at home. I didn't get the bra's as I couldn't figure out their sizes!

Navy knee length with rope detailing on the front? I think we bought the same one :-)

Had similar issues with the bras.

Just got 3 pairs of their maternity leisure bottoms, 2 vest tops, 2tshirts, 2 dresses and a nursing bra for just under €60

Love the bottoms. They're so comfy.

Also picked up the digital thermometer. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've bought Next boot-cut maternity band jeans as I found the over the bump ones too big still. I tried on the Mothercare ones and couldn't get them past my hips although the pant-leg fit perfect. I also got the navy Gap boot-cut jeans with the panel, they fit looser on the leg but tighter on the belly. I think between Next and Gap I should be fine til I get huge.

Got yoga pants in Debenhams, which were much more expensive than other brands but comparing quality and fit, I liked these better. The blooming marvellous ones in Mothercare were good bit smaller in fit than Debenhams and the seam was a little irritating on the inside of the leg. I want to try the next size up but they're all out at the mo.
    I also got my mum to pick up two pairs that were for sale in Lidl last Thursday, so let's see how those go.

I'm going to a wedding in 2 weeks and had to find a dress to fit as even my looser ones won't fit me any more. I bought a Tiffany Rose dress, but they said it won't arrive now til the day before I leave, so I won't have time to exchange it if the size isn't right.

Anyone have any idea of their sizing as they do in-between sizes only? I went for the upper end of my size instead of down, just hoping it's not gonna be loose on the shoulders and top half.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Asos have a sale on and a lot of maternity items reduced so might be worth a look for some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Gatica wrote:
    I've bought Next boot-cut maternity band jeans as I found the over the bump ones too big still. I tried on the Mothercare ones and couldn't get them past my hips although the pant-leg fit perfect. I also got the navy Gap boot-cut jeans with the panel, they fit looser on the leg but tighter on the belly. I think between Next and Gap I should be fine til I get huge.

Wexy86 wrote:
    Asos have a sale on and a lot of maternity items reduced so might be worth a look for some

Hi!

Iv two pairs of over the bump jeans from next and the band's are different sizes on both. One fits perfectly and has been a nice fit even when the bump was still a bit too small, although I don't know if it will last me 8 more weeks. The other band is alot bigger and is only starting to fit properly lately. One thing I have noticed with the bigger one is that the very top of the band doesn't fit as snuggly over the bump.

I'm loving asos clothes. Have a few tops and dresses from them and their so comfy.

Any of you ladies seen nice shorts anywhere? I got one great pair of black ones in H&M, size 14 fit perfect and nice length so ordered two more pairs. Both were tooooooo small and tooooo short.

Now I do know there are some stunningly slender pregnant ladies out there who look incredible, but WHY are all the shorts soooooo short? I tried a pair on in New Look and I swear they were actual hot pants!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I actually found the Gap under the bump elasticated pants quite restrictive to the point of painful when I feel bloated, they're much tighter there than Next, even though Next pants had narrower fit overall.
    Anyway, wouldn't be recommending the GAP ones.

stickybean wrote: »
    Any of you ladies seen nice shorts anywhere? I got one great pair of black ones in H&M, size 14 fit perfect and nice length so ordered two more pairs. Both were tooooooo small and tooooo short.

Now I do know there are some stunningly slender pregnant ladies out there who look incredible, but WHY are all the shorts soooooo short? I tried a pair on in New Look and I swear they were actual hot pants!!! :eek:

I bought some shorts in Penney's, non maternity, just stretchy waist and in a bigger size than my normal size. I am not a fan of wearing shorts, as I hate my legs, but when we had warm weather, they were handy for lazing around in the garden!
    There's a sale on ASOS at the moment, so try there too.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I bought some shorts in Penney's, non maternity, just stretchy waist and in a bigger size than my normal size. I am not a fan of wearing shorts, as I hate my legs, but when we had warm weather, they were handy for lazing around in the garden!
    There's a sale on ASOS at the moment, so try there too.

Did you manage to find shoes for your wedding?

Advertisement