Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to get Apple Pay in Ireland

Options
  • 18-05-2016 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I wanted to share how I was able to get Apple Pay in Ireland without it being launched here officially. I know I couldn't wait to get Apple Pay.

I haven't tried it in a shop yet, but there shouldn't be any problems doing so, according to their website, they allow payments abroad.

1 - You'll need an UK Apple ID. If you don't have one, you're best off to make it on Apples website (appleid.apple.com) and select that you live in the UK.

2 - Go to the App Store on your iPhone (iOS 9 +, iPhone 6+), sign in with your new UK Apple ID, you should be asked again to confirm some details, select payment as none and just put in any location in the UK, for the phone number just put down zeros.

3 - Download Boon, once it has installed launch it and start to sign up. It will ask you for your phone number first, enter your normal Irish mobile number, enter it like this - 3538XXXXXXXX (drop the zero, add 353). Fill in any other details it may ask.

4 - If you entered all your details, you should be brought to the main screen, don't click "add to wallet" just yet. Close the app via the task manager (double click, swipe up).

5 - Go to settings > General > Language & Regions > Region > United Kingdom

6 - Go back to the Boon app. Now, you can add the card to your wallet and use it for Apple Pay.

Best of all, Boon will give you £5 for signing up! You can top up the Boon card by Debit/Credit Card. It's similar enough to how Revolut works.

Only thing is the fees. £1 fee to top up each time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

retweet wrote: »
    I wanted to share how I was able to get Apple Pay in Ireland without it being launched here officially. I know I couldn't wait to get Apple Pay.

I haven't tried it in a shop yet, but there shouldn't be any problems doing so, according to their website, they allow payments abroad.

1 - You'll need an UK Apple ID. If you don't have one, you're best off to make it on Apples website (appleid.apple.com) and select that you live in the UK.

2 - Go to the App Store on your iPhone (iOS 9 +, iPhone 6+), sign in with your new UK Apple ID, you should be asked again to confirm some details, select payment as none and just put in any location in the UK, for the phone number just put down zeros.

3 - Download Boon, once it has installed launch it and start to sign up. It will ask you for your phone number first, enter your normal Irish mobile number, enter it like this - 3538XXXXXXXX (drop the zero, add 353). Fill in any other details it may ask.

4 - If you entered all your details, you should be brought to the main screen, don't click "add to wallet" just yet. Close the app via the task manager (double click, swipe up).

5 - Go to settings > General > Language & Regions > Region > United Kingdom

6 - Go back to the Boon app. Now, you can add the card to your wallet and use it for Apple Pay.

Best of all, Boon will give you £5 for signing up! You can top up the Boon card by Debit/Credit Card. It's similar enough to how Revolut works.

Only thing is the fees. £1 fee to top up each time.

Looks interesting. How does the currency work? Are you paying for everything in sterling?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Everything seems to be in sterling. I'll be testing it out in a few mins and I'll update then!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people so desperate for this and willing to pay foreign exchange rates and fees for every transaction instead of just using their bank cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people so desperate for this and willing to pay foreign exchange rates and fees for every transaction instead of just using their bank cards?

Especially contactless ones......bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Because wallets are big bulky things that are sometimes forgotten more times than phones. And easier to whip out the phone than the wallet sometimes.

Plus it's kinda cool paying for stuff with your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What is Boon? And why are ye happy to give your card details to such an unknown entity?

One thing giving it to Apple or Google or Samsung…

It's a novelty more than anything.

Just tried it out, it worked flawlessly!

€1 = £0.79 at the moment using Apple Pay with Boon.

Zcott wrote: »
    Because wallets are big bulky things that are sometimes forgotten more times than phones. And easier to whip out the phone than the wallet sometimes.

Plus it's kinda cool paying for stuff with your phone.

Seriously, this is a real reason to pay extra money to banks on every transaction?

Sounds very childish to me. Having Apple Pay won't stop you bring your wallet with you everywhere, as the other things that make it bulky are needed.

I would like to be able to do it too, and I''m sure it's only a matter of time but I would not be doing anything about it until it's just a normal transaction without extra costs like contactless payments are now.

€1 = £0.79 at the moment using Apple Pay with Boon.

You are also ignoring the extra charges that banks will charge you for foreign exchange.

• Advertisement

You are also ignoring the extra charges that banks will charge you for foreign exchange.

I understand that. But sure at least I can try it before officially launches. 2c or 3c isn't going to break the bank in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I understand that. But sure at least I can try it before officially launches. 2c or 3c isn't going to break the bank in the meantime.

How about 35 c?

How about 35 c?

Where's the 35c charge coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Where's the 35c charge coming from?

That's what PTSB charged me when I was over in the UK on Saturday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Some people are interested in the technology, its application and how it works in real life.

Other people develop/write about/plan products around this type of thing.

If it adds 50c to the cost of a couple of transactions so what, it's hardly up there with freshly hung unicorn steaks on the extravagance-o-meter(tm)*.

* extravagance-o-meter will be available exclusively in the App Store later this year:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Graham wrote: »
    Some people are interested in the technology, its application and how it works in real life.

Other people develop/write about/plan products around this type of thing.

If it adds 50c to the cost of a couple of transactions so what, it's hardly up there with freshly hung unicorn steaks on the extravagance-o-meter(tm)*.

* extravagance-o-meter will be available exclusively in the App Store later this year:pac:

Haha Brilliant response Graham! .... 100% agree

Apple Pay is one of the best innovations (and there have not been many) in the last number of years!

Another (for me anyhow) is Airplay ... How many if your average IOS device owners even know it exists?

iMessage too ... A single app that works for both SMS and iMessage (and can tell whether the recipient has iMessage/not before it even sends)

Give retweet a break ... He is only highlighting a way to try out Apple Pay!

I personally can't wait to ditch the wallet ... and more to the point COINS!
    I may even go mad and give Boon a go

Thanks OP!

MMmmm Unicorn Steaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

By the way (you will appreciate this retweet) ... Looks what the clever clogs over in the UK Driver License Authority are at ...

Making the driver's license "IOS wallet compatible"!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

keith_d99 wrote: »
    By the way (you will appreciate this retweet) ... Looks what the clever clogs over in the UK Driver License Authority are at ...

Making the driver's license "IOS wallet compatible"!!

Spotted that, should confuse the Gardai no end when a driving license is presented on someones Apple Watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm curious as t where Apple Pay works in Ireland? I know i saw a sign for it in boots, but not anywhere else that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anywhere with a contactless terminal should work?

Not that Apple Pay isn't supported by any Irish banks (south of the border) yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Anywhere with a contactless terminal should work?

Not that Apple Pay isn't supported by any Irish banks (south of the border) yet

I'm also wondering will it still work if i switch regions back to Ireland? Or do i need to leave it on UK?

Apple Pay seems to stay if you switch your region back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'm curious, was the staff at the shop surprised when you asked to pay by card but didn't take out any bank card?

Bob24 wrote: »
    I'm curious, was the staff at the shop surprised when you asked to pay by card but didn't take out any bank card?

They didn't take any notice. I was surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I'm curious as t where Apple Pay works in Ireland? I know i saw a sign for it in boots, but not anywhere else that springs to mind.

I've seen the Apple Pay logo on the terminals in dealz as well.

guil wrote: »
    I've seen the Apple Pay logo on the terminals in dealz as well.

Terminals at M&S are also displaying the logo. I would say unless they have old or no up-to date hardware, most places who accept con tactless payments will support ApplePay. While the token based payment system it uses is different from what bank cards do, it seems like it is not Apple specific and many terminals did support it even before ApplePay was introduced in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Normal contactless terminals will take transactions up to €30, but anywhere that has an Apple Pay sticker should be good for more than that. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I have this facility since last August in U.K. , used it once. Easier to use contactless card normally. It's just a gimmick. Is there an actual use case for this?

Zcott wrote: »
    Normal contactless terminals will take transactions up to €30, but anywhere that has an Apple Pay sticker should be good for more than that. I think.

The €30 cap is not applied by the terminal, more by the bank I believe. My French card has a different limit.

• Advertisement

I have this facility since last August in U.K. , used it once. Easier to use contactless card normally. It's just a gimmick. Is there an actual use case for this?

Mostly agreed it is not adding much value in terms of usability, though I think in the long term and if Apple Wallet can hold most documents you usually carry in yoru physical wallet it could be nice.

One immediate benefit is safety though: fingerprint authentication and the fact that the payment is token based and does not require your CC number to be transmitted makes it much safer than other contactless payments, which is why banks allow much higher limits.

Advertisement