Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to get Apple Pay in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

just set up mine...will be handy in case i ever forget my wallet as sometimes it happens to me and I never carry cash anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I was looking at Boon app today, I register and added to Wallet, what I noticed is to upgrade to Basic to be able to top it up, the country is Defaulted to UK, has anyone done the upgrade of the account to Basic? did you leave country as UK with a ParcelMOtel address or some other address, or did you contact them to change the country to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

For those who missed my thread, here's how you can at least try it out in Ireland!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057599164

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

retweet wrote: »
    For those who missed my thread, here's how you can at least try it out in Ireland!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057599164

for those that missed THIS thread ????????????:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

donegal. wrote: »
    for those that missed THIS thread ????????????:pac::pac::pac::pac:

For those who missed this thread, that I may have started :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Hello, Just wondering does anyone know actually how much you are charged for each transaction?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

nokia211 wrote: »
    Hello, Just wondering does anyone know actually how much you are charged for each transaction?
    Thanks!

From the Boon website. Works out at a couple of cents as we can only use up to €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

nokia211 wrote: »
    Thanks!

if you put money into your boon account using your credit card you'll be charged 5.4%. (edit: is there an extra "noneuro fee" off 1.75% from the bank, bringing the total up to 7.15% )

i'm not sure how much the bank charge for a foreign bank transfer, but if its free then it'll cost 4.4% per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

At those rates, you might as well just use your debit card and contactless. Very little advantage unless you just want to see your phone do NFC payment for geeky reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

12Phase wrote: »
    Very little advantage unless you just want to see your phone do NFC payment for geeky reasons.

As said in post #16. No suggestion it's a long-term purchasing solution, more a way to test the technology.

• Advertisement

Sadly, no sign of Apple rolling anything out. Although an AIB POS product seems to mention Apple Pay a lot in their advertising, so maybe there's something coming down the line eventually.

I'd say it's more the usual total lack of innovation from Irish banks than Apple being the hold up.

Typically they're late adopters of technology.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd say it's more the usual total lack of innovation from Irish banks than Apple being the hold up.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

To be fair to Irish banks Apple Pay is only available in 6 countries to date (the only European one being the UK).

I think rather than issues with innovation it is more that the amount of money involved in the transaction fees is so high that both banks and Apple are taking their time to negotiate as they don't want to be the losers in the deal.

Having said that it happens I have a visa card with one of the 2 French banks which are lined up to launch it this summer, so I'll be trying it shortly :-) (I am quite content with regular con tactless payments and somehow don't expect for ApplePay to overtake that habit, but who knows I might be proven wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seeing a POS unit saying that they support Apple Pay is just because the software running on them has been updated. Many of those terminal originate from the UK and make their way over here.

That being said, Apple Pay works on any terminal that accepts contactless payments, if you see the contactless logo you can use contactless, Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay etc.

Apple take a cut out of the transaction, this is the reason the banks don't like it, if they didn't they'd be all over it because it increases people making small but frequent transactions.

Spain, France, Switzerland are the next countries that are launching in the EU. There's even Germany to get to before we'll get it here officially in fact I'm surprised Germany isn't already there.

That being said, Apple Pay works on any terminal that accepts contactless payments, if you see the contactless logo you can use contactless, Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay etc.

I don't believe it is quite right. Different contact less payment methods use different technologies and a terminal can support some but not others. Having said that you would hope most of them have been updated and to support ApplePay's token based payments.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't believe it is quite right. Different contact less payment methods use different technologies and a terminal can support some but not others. Having said that you would hope most of them have been updated and to support ApplePay's token based payments.
    yeah not 100% right, but you'll be hard pushed to find a contactless terminal in Ireland that doesn't work with Apple Pay. I've yet to have it fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Irish banks have been approached by Apple to discuss introducing Apple Pay due to our fairly good uptake on contactless technology. The sticking point is of course the cut Apple take on each transaction.

On a side note, I can't see many shops liking the extra transaction fees, seeing as a lot of smaller shops try to impose minimum spend on visa debit cards, which is actually against the t&c's of their merchant service agreements or a 25c charge on anything below €10 which isnt particularly called out in the t&c's but I've been told by visa they don't like it.

You can bet if it comes in, the banks won't absorb the extra transaction fees and the retailers won't like paying them, so it might not be widely accepted.

The transaction fees are too high here generally but also retailers don't necessarily shop around for best deals and many forget that cash isn't cheap to handle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

naasrd wrote: »

Pretty must sums up its use. Not a necessity by any means but a fantastic "nice to have".

Personally don't like carrying my wallet all the time. Only like bringing it with me on nights out or when I need to fuel up on the way to work. Apple Pay on my phone would be handy.

• Advertisement

Pretty must sums up its use. Not a necessity by any means but a fantastic "nice to have".

Personally don't like carrying my wallet all the time. Only like bringing it with me on nights out or when I need to fuel up on the way to work. Apple Pay on my phone would be handy.

Same here, can't see us getting it for a while yet, but what a difference it would make to a night out.

What would make it a killer app is if Apple could open NFC and Touch ID to other applications. If on top of my payment cards I could have my leap card and my Dublin bike card in the phone it would start to become a serious contender to replace my wallet (the only other missing bit would be better adoption of Apple Wallet for loyalty cards, health insurance cards, or any other "dumb" cards we tend to carry).

Problem with Dublin bikes are leap cards are they're not NFC so they can't take any advantage of the stuff apple would build.

Here's hoping that will change though.

Problem with Dublin bikes are leap cards are they're not NFC so they can't take any advantage of the stuff apple would build.

Here's hoping that will change though.

Argh good point, I was too quick to assume their contactless readers would be NFC compatible ...

What would make it a killer app is if Apple could open NFC and Touch ID to other applications. If on top of my payment cards I could have my leap card and my Dublin bike card in the phone it would start to become a serious contender to replace my wallet (the only other missing bit would be better adoption of Apple Wallet for loyalty cards, health insurance cards, or any other "dumb" cards we tend to carry).

Man, could you imagine how convenient it would be if the Leap card had NFC and a watch app? The Ulster Bank app is excellent, it gives you a code to draw money out from an ATM without using your card. It texts a 6 digit code to the watch, you tap it in and out comes the cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd be happy with an NFC API allowing me to top-up onto my Leap card without having to go to the shop. I don't envy Android users many thing but that's one of them.

I'd be happy with an NFC API allowing me to top-up onto my Leap card without having to go to the shop. I don't envy Android users many thing but that's one of them.

Is there such thing on Android? So the Leap card is actually NFC compatible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is there such thing on Android? So the Leap card is actually NFC compatible?

The cards and their (dog slow) readers are compatible but the ticket machines aren't and adding new features to them isn't really an option. These will have to be replaced before contactless debit cards and phones can be used to pay. When this happens probably depends on a lot on how fast NFC pickup is. Given that the banks will probably dig their heels in and spend a few years thinking about new ways to charge us, I'm sceptical that we'll using our phones to pay for anything anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

retweet wrote: »
    I wanted to share how I was able to get Apple Pay in Ireland without it being launched here officially. I know I couldn't wait to get Apple Pay.

I haven't tried it in a shop yet, but there shouldn't be any problems doing so, according to their website, they allow payments abroad.

1 - You'll need an UK Apple ID. If you don't have one, you're best off to make it on Apples website (appleid.apple.com) and select that you live in the UK.

2 - Go to the App Store on your iPhone (iOS 9 +, iPhone 6+), sign in with your new UK Apple ID, you should be asked again to confirm some details, select payment as none and just put in any location in the UK, for the phone number just put down zeros.

3 - Download Boon, once it has installed launch it and start to sign up. It will ask you for your phone number first, enter your normal Irish mobile number, enter it like this - 3538XXXXXXXX (drop the zero, add 353). Fill in any other details it may ask.

4 - If you entered all your details, you should be brought to the main screen, don't click "add to wallet" just yet. Close the app via the task manager (double click, swipe up).

5 - Go to settings > General > Language & Regions > Region > United Kingdom

6 - Go back to the Boon app. Now, you can add the card to your wallet and use it for Apple Pay.

Best of all, Boon will give you 5 for signing up! You can top up the Boon card by Debit/Credit Card. It's similar enough to how Revolut works.

Only thing is the fees. 1 fee to top up each time.
    This app is not available in the App Store... How did you do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

TCPIP wrote: »
    This app is not available in the App Store... How did you do this?

For Iphone you need to have a UK Itunes account, it's free to create, just follow step 1 on the guide, as mention you are better by creating it on the website, not on the phone.

Only problem I found is that the country show as UK, I contacted them who said the country cannot be changed, you need a UK address to top-up the account as you need to upgrade to Basic account, they also said if I type an address that does not match the credit card account they might do a security check, in that case I will have to send them proof of address in UK as per the account.

Advertisement