Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to get Apple Pay in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

nava wrote: »
    For Iphone you need to have a UK Itunes account, it's free to create, just follow step 1 on the guide, as mention you are better by creating it on the website, not on the phone.

Only problem I found is that the country show as UK, I contacted them who said the country cannot be changed, you need a UK address to top-up the account as you need to upgrade to Basic account, they also said if I type an address that does not match the credit card account they might do a security check, in that case I will have to send them proof of address in UK as per the account.

I put Ireland under region and left the country as the UK. I don't know if it will cause any problems in the future but it seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Argh ... Apple Pay failed me on my on my first attempt! ;-)

My French bank is now supported and I added my visa card, but when I placed the phone next to the contactless terminal at my work canteen nothing happened (I also tried to double click on the home button and leave my finger on for touch ID to read my fingerprint, the phones then said "Hold Near Reader to Pay" but when I did so nothing happened either). No problem paying with the actual contactless card.

Is it just that I was unlucky and the terminal is not compatible, or there is something else I am missing?

Mmm ... I tried again at M&S where the terminal clearly displays an Apple Pay logo, but still no luck. Is there an option to enable for the NFC chip or something your are supposed to do after adding the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I see on another forum here (link below) Ulster Bank customers down here can open a U.K. one in the Newry branch. If this is the case it should be fairly straight forward to set up Apple Pay for use down here, as well as funding the uk account via the UB app.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057589067

naasrd wrote: »
    I see on another forum here (link below) Ulster Bank customers down here can open a U.K. one in the Newry branch. If this is the case it should be fairly straight forward to set up Apple Pay for use down here, as well as funding the uk account via the UB app.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057589067

It should work, but not sure transition fees would make it worth it: you will be paying fee to change your euros to pounds when you fund your account, and more fees to convert back to euros when you make your purchase (probably with a high enough minimum free, meaning small purchases which are when contactless is great would come at a high cost).

• Advertisement

Update on my previous posts here: the reason Apple Pay was not working from me in Ireland with my French visa card seemed to be a hardware problem with my iPhone 6. I switched to a 7 last week and set it up exactly in the same way, and it is now working like a charm (the 6 is still covered by AppleCare it is gone to Apple for repair).

I have to say I am finding is pretty convenient. With the iPhone 7 reading fingerprints is almost instant so it is really as easy and quick as talking your phone out of your pocket and holding it next to the payment terminal for a few hundred of milliseconds. It might be a subjective impression, but I find the processing time noticeably faster than when using my contactless card.

Now waiting for Irish banks to start supporting it as that I can use my other cards as well (I know could be a long wait :-))

Advertisement