Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding on a property which may have slight planning issue.

Options
  • 18-05-2016 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

I'm considering placing a bid on a property I viewed this week. It's a three bed semi detached house with a 2 bed self contained Granny flat attached.

I mentioned when I viewed it that I would consider making it one large house. The agent just got back to me and advised of a little bit of a planning issue with the Granny flat.

The original planning permission granted in 2001 was for a three bed extension not a 2 bed Granny flat. The current owner has assured the agent that putting an internal enterence into the flat would solve the issue. He will do this before the house is sold.

As we haven't put a bit in yet or had surveyor or solicitor look over it, does anyone think it's a minor or major issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you need a mortgage for this?

Any planning issue, if its minor or major, is going to be a severe problem for a bank and they would require proof that it was sorted to building and planning regulations rather than just taking the vendors word.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If they are willing to do it, ensure a professional certifies that it complies to planning and structurally sound. Its either ok or run a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is highly likely the bank will send someone out who will find this out and refuse to give a mortgage. I know of house that the bank refused to issue a mortgage on as the house didn't have a wall in the attic to stop a fire going between the two adjoining houses ( it was mid terrace). The seller offered to put in a wall for no extra cost. The bank refused and the sale fell through

You will struggle to get a mortgage on a house where there is even a minor issue with planning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Thanks. Will be getting a mortgage for this. Balls. It's an amazing house. Will take some professional advice as it was just a 2 minute update from the agent. She did say the work would be certified by an engineer. First time buyer here so any sort of issue, I'm wary of. On the otherhand, we have been trying to buy for ages. Feck!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like every granny flat extension out there to be honest. I've lodged loads and the owners never make the door connection as they want the flat to be separate for whatever reasons but I always insist on a lintel and an opening put in, and then they block it up. Makes creating the doorway at a later stage so so easy.

Without knowing the actual house, I would guess it's something like this and that a simple modification will make it substantial planning compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Not always a problem though. The bank may ask you to sign an undertaking that you will look for planning permission within a specified time eg 6 months.
    Only one way to find out!

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like every granny flat extension out there to be honest. I've lodged loads and the owners never make the door connection as they want the flat to be separate for whatever reasons but I always insist on a lintel and an opening put in, and then they block it up. Makes creating the doorway at a later stage so so easy.

Without knowing the actual house, I would guess it's something like this and that a simple modification will make it substantial planning compliant.

That kinda gels with what the agent said. She said it would be a simple fix. Not ever having owned a house before, I thought creating a doorway in an internal wall might be of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

That kinda gels with what the agent said. She said it would be a simple fix. Not ever having owned a house before, I thought creating a doorway in an internal wall might be of an issue.

As kceire said, if the lintel is there it's a quick (and cheap) little job to knock out the blocks, stick in a door and tidy it all up.

If the lintel isn't there then you're getting into a bit more work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could be worthwhile having someone look over the granted plans against what is actually on the ground and give you some advice if you are not up to speed with that area.

Where is the house located?

kceire wrote: »
    Could be worthwhile having someone look over the granted plans against what is actually on the ground and give you some advice if you are not up to speed with that area.

Where is the house located?

Thanks. Will do. House is in an established estate built about 40 years ago in Mayo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement