Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH and distance from exchange

Options
  • 18-05-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭

Hi

According to the fiber roll out map, there is a blue line running past my house and stopping at the next local business about 100m away.

I am almost 4km from the local exchange (as the crow flys)

When I do a check to see what my phone line can offer I'm told that I'm in an enhanced b/band area and I can get 4mb (which I currently do)

So my question is, will I get 1000mb connection in 6 weeks, (expected fiber live date), or will my distance from the exchange severly hamper the speed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

mikeecho wrote: »
    Hi

According to the fiber roll out map, there is a blue line running past my house and stopping at the next local business about 100m away.

I am almost 4km from the local exchange (as the crow flys)

When I do a check to see what my phone line can offer I'm told that I'm in an enhanced b/band area and I can get 4mb (which I currently do)

So my question is, will I get 1000mb connection in 6 weeks, (expected fiber live date),  or will my distance from the exchange severly hamper the speed
    Hi  mikeecho,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    At the minute we are offering two different fibre services. fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the home (FTTH). 

FTTH is the new service we have launched. FTTH is the blue line on the map and we can only check customer availability once the service is active in the exchange. The 1000mb is the FTTH service, Please feel free to check back with us once the service is live and we can check your line.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks for your reply.

The phone lines and the blue line run directly past my front door. (And the core line runs behind the house)

However it's still a copper cable running between the telegraph poles...

Is it realistic that fiber will be strung up within 6 weeks ?

Also, if I choose to go with FTTH, will I be given an option of various speed packages, or will it just be 1Gb ?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

mikeecho wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

The phone lines and the blue line run directly past my front door. (And the core line runs behind the house)

However it's still a copper cable running between the telegraph poles...

Is it realistic that fiber will be strung up within 6 weeks ?

Also, if I choose to go with FTTH, will I be given an option of various speed packages, or will it just be 1Gb ?

Thanks again
    Unfortunately we would be unable to advise of this from here mikeechoas I am unaware of the level of work required on site.

Yes there would be different packages available for the FTTH service, Our sales team will more than happy to explore the available options with you. You can contact them on 1800503303, or you can also chat to them on-line on https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/

-Pamela 

Advertisement