Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS SQL Database Connection

Options
  • 18-05-2016 9:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭

(apologies if this is the wrong forum)

Context:
    System: Ubuntu
    Software: DBeaver

Question:
    I have created a working MS SQL connection to a database online, to which I have read access. I'd like to take some of this data and store/manipulate it locally.

I'm new to SQL, but I understand that to do this, I need to create a table with the data in it, obviously. To do this, I need to create a new, local, MS SQL connection. However, I'm having trouble doing so. The dialogue to create such a connection looks like this, but I'm not sure what to put into those fields. Any username/pw combo I use (like 'root' or my actual username, and my machine's password), results in this error:
    com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host localhost, port 1434 has failed. Error: "Connection refused. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.".

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Have you set up a MSSQL database server on the local machine? The error indicates that there's no MSSQL server running on the machine you're trying to connect to. If you still need to set one up, MSSQL Express 2014 is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

As Roast as indicated, it appears that you don't have a MS SQL Server instance to which you can connect.

The fact that you are running Ubuntu would seem to lend weight to this as SQL Server runs on Windows.

You need an instance of Windows.
    Then you need to install MS SQL Server on that instance.
    Only then can you attempt to connect to SQL Server.
    Also, because it will be on a different device (virtual or otherwise) you won't be connecting to localhost (well, not from the Ubuntu device anyway).

As Roast has advised, SQL Server Express is free.
    And SQL Server Developer Edition is now free for personal and development use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Thanks! I hadn't copped at all that I'd have to run an instance of MS SQL server outside of Dbeaver, since I could create a connection to a MySQL 'server' no problem. I'm dual booting so I may just use the windows partition, which is a bit of a shame but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

On a side note, it looks like there'll be a "preview" version of MSSQL on Linux soon enough, with an official release next year. Might be something worth looking into if you're planning on continued development.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/server-cloud/sql-server-on-linux.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

My recollection of that announcement is that it was going to be in Azure. I'm not sure if it's going to be available on the desktop.

Could be wrong, though. Stranger things have happened. SQL Server on Linux - who'd have thunk?

roast wrote: »
    On a side note, it looks like there'll be a "preview" version of MSSQL on Linux soon enough, with an official release next year. Might be something worth looking into if you're planning on continued development.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/server-cloud/sql-server-on-linux.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement