Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

oil

• 18-05-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Hi all, am needing some 20w50 oil soon but just wondering does anyone have any recommendations as regards brand? Was in Halfords for something unrelated this week & only saw their own brand but everyone I know says to avoid it. Any thoughts?

Comments

Hi all, am needing some 20w50 oil soon but just wondering does anyone have any recommendations as regards brand? Was in Halfords for something unrelated this week & only saw their own brand but everyone I know says to avoid it. Any thoughts?

Castrol, Fuchs, silkolene, Motul etc

Stick to the big brands, semi synth is probably your best best. You hear about clutch problems people running fully

Whats the bike? if its an old banger just throw the halfords in tbh, its obviously made to spec. Newer bike get a good brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

I use this stuff & never had an issue http://millersoilsireland.ie/zss-20w50/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Motul in the R1 and in the 996 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

If its an auld 4 cylinder runaround jobbie then some of the Lidl W5 oil will do the job,Lidls oil is actually decent stuff.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If its an auld 4 cylinder runaround jobbie then some of the Lidl W5 oil will do the job,Lidls oil is actually decent stuff.

Yeah I'd agree with that the older ones aren't as fussy but you are better off with Motul and the likes for new Ducati's etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Regardless of the brand you choose check the spec of the oil meets the requirement of the motorcycle; e.g API or Jaso specs.
    I'd prefer to use a 15/50 or even a 10/40 than use an inferior spec. but that's a last resort situation.
    And if you have a dry clutch then car engine oil is fine. You probably know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Micks garage sometimes has good deals.
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1214868

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

If you've gone to the bother of determining that you require 20W50 (somewhere hot?) then I would only put in specific motorcycle oil to the spec in the handbook. I just read in R6 manual that additives in car oil may not suit (plus wet clutch reason not to use)

Motorcycleshop.ie have Motul 3000 20W50 4L for €28 plus delivery, free delivery orders over €49 so you might have to add a filter or some little goody :-)

I wouldn't get too hung up on brands if it meets the spec.

I got mine delivered in 2 days, good service. No affiliation (I was a bit disappointed with additional purchase plastic chrome effect tax disc holder but what did I expect for €5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...I just read in R6 manual that additives in car oil may not suit (plus wet clutch reason not to use)...

The wet clutch is the reason car oil additives are unsuitable. Specifically, the friction modifiers don't work well in there. This is largely why motorcycle oils are different brews and a tad more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Regardless of the brand you choose check the spec of the oil meets the requirement of the motorcycle; e.g API or Jaso specs.
    I'd prefer to use a 15/50 or even a 10/40 than use an inferior spec. but that's a last resort situation.
    And if you have a dry clutch then car engine oil is fine. You probably know that.

Specifically, what you want is JASO MA/MA2 spec. This is the certification for wet-clutch applications, i.e. most unit-construction motorcycles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement