Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning as director of an Irish company?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the situation is with resigning as director of an Irish company?

I know there did have to be two directors (which this was), but I believe the law was changed last year so a limited company could be just one person.

Is it possible to resign as part of a 2 director company to leave it as a 1 director company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is possible but quite a few issues need to be addressed first – The Co. must be converted to the new ‘LTD’ format first, all changes that require a quorum must first be done, and remember that in a single director company the director cannot also be the Company secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

The company is a Ltd already. Does this make a difference (i.e. is there two types of Ltd.)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yes, they are different - the old companies (multi-director) are Ltd and the new one director company is styled LTD. Also, I should mention that since the new Act the Co. Sec is now required to acknowledge the legal obligations/duties that come with the role, and the directors are responsible to ensure that the Co Sec has the requisite skills.

You can be pro-active and do the Ltd/LTD change yourself or slip into it at the end of this year. See HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

What pedroeibar1 is correct, I converted my company back in March, your accountant can do it for you, there are just a few forms to sign.

My situation was opposite to you, my co director actually has nothing to do with the company, was just there to make up the required 2 directors so he was able to resign.

The company will need a secretary. Im my case, my accountant kindly offered to fill that role - that may help your case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement