Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamstring pull..bruising?

• 18-05-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Pulled a hammy in training about 10 days ago, never had a problem with my hamstrings (quads, knees, hips yeah, not hamstrings though) so its all new to me

Noticed tonight the back of my leg is bruised up to a dark purple like it's been pounded by thai kicks

I know delayed bruising happens with hamstring pulls but over a week later, anyone seen that sort of delay? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sounds like you have a hamstring tear, possibly grade two or three. You probably just noticed the bruising, though it showed up a couple of days ago. Please book a physio appointment and get some rehab protocols specific to you following an assessment. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Oh the bane of my life, I could write a book!

As above, sounds like a bit more than a pull. Treatment and stretching.....lots of stretching. Don't rush back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Don't stretch it until you've seen a physio and they've told you what to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Don't do anything until you've been assessed by a good physio. Sounds like a minor tear. Which if you take the piss with could turn into a major tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Want to be functional for the end of next month so theres no way I'm rushing back into anything

Was already booked into see physio next week anyway so he can look at it then, just thought that long delay in bruising was weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Whoa no stretching with a bruised muscle! Classic example of well intentioned internet infos gone wrong! Bruising indicates a tear. Grade 2 is a bad enough tear, grade 3 is pretty much surgery needed. If you are still mobile and can use a muscle you are prob looking at a grade 2, with a poss 2/3 month return to play once rehab properly. Grade 3, think Achilles rupture that kinda thing. You're talking total muscle tear and surgical reattachment. as mentioned see a good physio and get it dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hey op, same thing happened to me as a 21 yr old playing soccer.

Could barely wall for a few days after it happened and noticed a lot of bruising then.

Was end of season game so thought if I just stayed off it and rested it that it would be ok to get back training a couple of months later.

It was, by which I mean the pain had gone and I went back playing. Worse decision I ever made, I was never the same player / athlete after it, and I mean never. It hugely took from my speed, mobility, strength, and I have never gotten it fully back due to neglecting the injury for those few months.

Definitely source a good physio

Advertisement