Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone unlock - o2 or 3

Options
  • 19-05-2016 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My iPhone 6 was bought before the merger of three and o2 lastyear, bought as an o2 phone. I'm wondering can it be unlocked easily and cheaply like o2 phones always have been, or does it fall under the three bracket which is very very hard and expensive to unlock?

Obliviously I can't do a network check anymore as they have merged.

Hope somebody can answer me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The network doesn't matter with iPhones. The difficultly of the unlock is down to the firmware usually. That said, Three should honour all O2 unlock requests if you meet the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

This is a very tricky one. I'd say that the unlocks for sale on eBay for O2 are linked to the original IMEI so should work alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Three - as long as you meet the criteria they will request the unlock code. They done it for numerous ex-O2 customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'll ask the obvious. Whats the criteria?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

chrislad wrote: »
    The network doesn't matter with iPhones. The difficultly of the unlock is down to the firmware usually. That said, Three should honour all O2 unlock requests if you meet the criteria.

Network does matter here. Three are, or at least were, impossible to unlock through the Internet channels. None of them seemed to be able to get access to the Three database. I think Meteor and Eir are near impossible too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement