Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert 2016 predictions?!?

Options
  • 19-05-2016 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm doing my jc in 3 weeks and I'm finding it hard to learn all the people in history questions. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could come up on history or any other subject this year like Irish or geography. (My history teacher said that Christopher Columbus would be on it this year and so would the plantation famine and industrial revolution)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your teacher doesn't know. Cover all your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Your teacher does not know exactly what will come up. That's just her/his prediction. If I were you, I would list the people in history possibilities and then see what years they come up on. This way you will see what you can expect in June for a fairly high chance BUT not certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I'd say your teacher is going on how long it's been since the topics were last on the JC.

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I'd say your teacher is going on how long it's been since the topics were last on the JC.

Yes and so am I. Like how the sketch map has been like this the past few years:

2015: Aerial photograph
    2014: OS map
    2013: Aerial photograph
    2012: OS map

I'm guessing it's an OS map this year.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes and so am I. Like how the sketch map has been like this the past few years:

2015: Aerial photograph
    2014: OS map
    2013: Aerial photograph
    2012: OS map

I'm guessing it's an OS map this year.

Thankfully Geography is predictable:pac:

• Advertisement

Unlike SCIENCE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Until it isn't. Cover your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

My predictions after looking at the patterns are:
    History Q4: Age of Exploration, Person in ancient civilisation outside of Ireland, Industrial Revolution
    History Q5: Famine or if question 4 isn't Industrial Revolution, I think this question will be.
    DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS, these are my PREDICTIONS, not guaranteed answers. Nobody in Ireland will know until June 15th.
    Best of luck.

John_2187 wrote: »
    My predictions after looking at the patterns are:
    History Q4: Age of Exploration, Person in ancient civilisation outside of Ireland, Industrial Revolution
    History Q5: Famine or if question 4 isn't Industrial Revolution, I think this question will be.
    DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS, these are my PREDICTIONS, not guaranteed answers. Nobody in Ireland will know until June 15th.
    Best of luck.
    What about the people who wrote the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

The exams are actually printed etc. in Scotland and sent over to Ireland. That's what my Irish teacher told me

• Advertisement

The exams are actually printed etc. in Scotland and sent over to Ireland. That's what my Irish teacher told me

Never knew that.

By all means look at patterns and make predictions, but not at the expense of leaving an area out.

The most common way people mess up in History is by leaving questions out, not answering all parts of a questions and not answering the questions they are asked.

Some of the papers are printed in Ireland. It depends on budgets.

What about the people who wrote the exam?

The people who wrote the exam are not in the business of giving 'predictions'.

Every year there are reports of people claiming they were involved in setting and giving hints.
    They are lying. They would not be employed ever again by the SEC. Confidentiality of the exams is a really big deal.

So we should study everything?

So we should study everything?

Questions can be asked on everything.

Of course, you do not have to answer every question, so you can study some things in more detail than others.

Remember, for History, people generally write WAY too much for the 'People in History' answer. I have seen answers 3 answerbook pages long. Madness. No need for it, once you have mentioned relevant facts*.

* No need to mention Michaelangelo breaking someone's nose, or Leonardo picking up dead animals, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Unlike SCIENCE.

Science is not predictable for every question, but looking throught the exam papers there are questions that come up nearly every year,

-treatment of water
    -testing/preparing oxygen
    -testing/preparing hydrogen
    -testing/preparing Carbon dioxide
    -Testing if basic or acidic
    -Rate of reaction (Ca, Mg, Zn, Cu)
    -Something on rusting
    -Drawing a model of an atom

^these are just on the chemistry section as that is all i have revised so far:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cutiepetutie99

For Higher Level history my history teacher whos AMAZING at prediciting said that the Archaeologist essay for Q4 is very unlikely to come up!
    For Q5 The Age of Exploration is unlikely aswell, but the Plantations and Revolutions are definitely due!

Also in terms of studying, I'm not going to learn any Essays or Accounts relating to Irish History (The 1916 rising and all that) as it's my least favourite and you can avoid it altogether and still get an A.
    this is how:

Q1- picture questions are short and usually have 1st year history,so no essays or accounts of irish history is needed,apart maybe a few short questions

Q2- Document questions are short and even if they're about Irish history,they're not going to be too difficult.

Q3-Short questions.You only have to do 10 out of 20 so you can well skip thr Irish history ones!

Q4- part (A) is 1st year history essays only and part (B) will always have a 2nd year top (Reformation,Plantations or Age of Exploration) so you can avoid doing the Irish history one!

Q5- This source question is ALWAYS 2nd year history so that's grand

Q6- you only have to do 2 our of 4. (A) is always 1st year history so ill go with that. (B) is usually social change which isn't too hard, (C) is ALWAYS Irish history which ill be avoiding while (D) is World War 2 so ill go with this and (A)!

Hope that helped

Do not do Social Change if you have not properly prepared it. It is usually answered REALLY badly. People think it's a handy one and make a mess of it.

In Q. 3 No harm at all answer more than ten, you will get the marks for the ten best.

I wouldn't chance leaving Irish History out altogether - that's a very risky strategy, particularly given the year that is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 juniorachiever

I'm doing my junior cert this year too and my teacher said that he thinks these may come up: Renaissance person, industrial revolution, famine and a person in the reformation. *Obviously he said to learn others but this is what he predicts*

Advertisement