Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment letting - advice needed

Options
  • 19-05-2016 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm letting an apartment. First viewing at the weekend. Placed an ad yesterday evening and in a few hours received dozens of enquirers. I've responded to everyone with viewing time.
    I was taken aback by the volume of enquires. With another couple of days until the viewing the number could double. Interest comes from those in emergency accom., HAP scheme, working, professionals, couples, families etc. - the full spectrum.

With this volume I don't want to make a decision on the day. I'll have everyone's names and will tick off if they're HAP, working, couples, families, have deposit, references etc., just for comparison after. I'll be fair to everyone and will not discriminate.

Any advice on how I should handle this number at viewing and anything I should consider in making a decision. I know all other things being equal it comes down to gut feeling.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Hi,

If you carry on this way you will get very stressed and confused.
    Every tenant will tell you they are a great tenant. People are desperate at the moment so you will have inapproapriate applications, ie, family of four looking to rent two bed apartment.
    First thing is draw up an application form for all tenants to fill out with their personal details. May sure details of all prospective tenants are given.
    Draw up terms of the lease and managemant company house rules. Show these to all applicants. When you agree to let to a tenant get them to sign and date these before lease is drawn up.
    Given the market at the moment, ie its a landlords market, I would not advise doing any viewings until references have been sent. Otherwise you will spend endless hours showing to people who do not have references. Employment and landlord references show be rerquired. A good tenant will have these to hand. Check references are real. Never use phone numbers on employment references always find main public numbers for companies.
    Dont rule anything out before you get the full facts.
    If you looking for a long term let, 4 years plus, HAP is very attractive at the moment. If you looking less than four years stick with tenants who have careers and are likely to move within a few years, due to family or career advancement.
    Professional just means they get paid, it does not say they are good tenants.
    Also, if you fit out the apartment with cheap crap furniture you will get crap tenants. If you would not have a piece of furniture or applicance in your own home dont expect a decent tenant to want it either.
    Decide if you can or want to take pets or people who smoke.

Hope this helps

Advertisement