Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia primary school teaching

Options
  • 19-05-2016 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    I am considering giving up my full time job to pursue the pmee in primary school teaching next year. This is a huge decision as I have two small children so financially it's going to be quite a struggle while I study and train.
    I can't afford to have them in childcare while I am studying. Is it possible to do the course, and do it well, if you are caring for children? I have support from family and I know they would take the kids 2, maybe three days a week, so I can complete course work in this time. Is this sufficient? My husband can care for them while I attend lectures at the weekend and in the evenings.
    Not sure how I would sort out childcare during extended weeks of teaching practice, anyone with kids who completed the course have any suggestions?
    Also, anyone do temp work during down times or is there any down time while doing the course?
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Being perfectly honest, if you have a full time job and would be tight financially doing the course, you need to think long and hard as to how you would manage on short term subbing,maybe a few day here and there which is the reality for most newly qualified teachers.

As you have a family, you are anchored to a particular area which would lessen your work prospects too.From a child care perspective, if you were to get a call at 8.30 from a principal needing as sub(as often happens) how would you manage? There is a new Special Education Needs model due to come in in the year or two which will see many experienced teachers losing their jobs. They will have panel rights, so would be offered jobs before anyone else.

Sorry to be be so negative, but I do think you need to go into this with your eyes wide open.

Advertisement