Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad things have gotten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

April 73 wrote: »
    The main problem now is that the dives are pricey. At least back in my day - a dive was cheap.

I think that's the whole point of the thread. It's not "Look at the kind of dives that are on the market"

It's "Look at how much a dive costs these days"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

MrMorooka wrote: »
    That place is in a building we don't seem to have very many of, a small self-contained apartment block. Our version of that is mainly large old houses converted into a few units, and the quality of the conversion differs wildly.

Exactly, these types of unit blocks are popping up everywhere. Demolish two houses and build something like this, in city these will be high rise, in residential areas they may only be 3-5 stories. My own apartment building is only 2 stories with total of 6 units, built on land where there was one, maybe two houses previously. Doesnt look out of place with the houses next door. There is gonna be a big surplus of rental properties here in the next few year as this type of building continues, which will mean even lower rent i hope (not that im complaining about mine). Just not common in ireland and i cant see it taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Noo wrote: »
    I pay the equivalent of €850 per month for a 2 bed, looks twice maybe three time the size of that place, 4kms from the city centre. This is why I'm afraid to move back to Ireland.

What's the minimum wage and average salary where you are?

Exactly, these types of unit blocks are popping up everywhere. Demolish two houses and build something like this, in city these will be high rise, in residential areas they may only be 3-5 stories. My own apartment building is only 2 stories with total of 6 units, built on land where there was one, maybe two houses previously. Doesnt look out of place with the houses next door. There is gonna be a big surplus of rental properties here in the next few year as this type of building continues, which will mean even lower rent i hope (not that im complaining about mine). Just not common in ireland and i cant see it taking off.

People will object to any kind of high rise apartment blocks on the basis that they "look ugly."

I think it's the way to go for accommodation but I'm in the minority on that apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

At least theres a new or professionally cleaned mattress. God I don't envy anybody trying to rent in this nutty country these days!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well no, this is how bad things have gotten
    HomelessPersonDoorway_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-358935

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well no, this is how bad things have gotten

Fcuk that's a grim response. Absolutely true but really fcuking grim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

The city centre ... which on ? you can rent 3 bed houses in the country side in ireland for 400 euro. its all about location

Any links to these houses at all?

I don't believe that the current rental/housing situation is contributing to numbers sleeping rough. If you look back over the last few years numbers sleeping rough are actually much lower now than a few years ago when rents were far lower and much more availability.

Its usually personal issues that lead people to be sleeping rough rather than an actual lack of a place to live (there are of course exceptions).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't believe that the current rental/housing situation is contributing to numbers sleeping rough. If you look back over the last few years numbers sleeping rough are actually much lower now than a few years ago when rents were far lower and much more availability.
    Its usually personal issues that lead people to be sleeping rough rather than an actual lack of a place to live (there are of course exceptions).
    That's just silly. Of course high rents are forcing people into homelessness. If you are a singleton, where do you go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Completely agree the rent issue is not forcing people to sleep rough , family's in hostels and hotels is a different story ... the absolute scandal of this whole issue is that professionals are having to pay more in rent on poorly kept , poorly maintained low quality housing , then they would on a mortgage for a 3 bed semi in the suburbs. its madness and thees rents in turn are preventing even people earning good salaries being able to afford to save an make the required deposits effectively keeping them stuck in ****ty accommodation , that would otherwise be available at lower rents to those now living in hostels its a vicious circle.

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's just silly. Of course high rents are forcing people into homelessness. If you are a singleton, where do you go?

While I actually consider the term homeless to mean actually sleeping rough the term is now being used to refer to anyone who is in temporary accommodation etc.

So yes homeless figures are up but these people are mostly in B&Bs, hotel rooms, hostels etc.

The figure for people actually sleeping rough in Dublin are actually down by over 60 from 2014 as an example. So the only conclusion one can draw from that is that the current situation is not having a major impact on the numbers of rough sleepers.

If you had said the number of people living in temp accommodation is up then you would be right but your picture referred to rough sleepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Big big difference between sleeping rough and homelessness.
    Homelessness is a massive problem in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

ted1 wrote: »
    I pay the equivalent of 850 per month for a 2 bed, looks twice maybe three time the size of that place, 4kms from the city centre. This is why I'm afraid to move back to Ireland.

What's the minimum wage and average salary where you are?
    Isn't it relative? For example, this studio apartment in Randwick in Sydney is $650 per week. That's quite a distance from the city centre. Thats about 418 per week. Isn't that even more expensive? The cheapest 1 bed I can see in Sydney is $400/ 250 a week.
    Brisbane is cheaper than Sydney but Sydney seems more expensive than Dublin. I used to live in Townsville, which would be cheaper again.
    Comparing Brisbane with Dublin is not really fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The place wouldnt be that bad if it had a decent kitchen. Maybe Ive just been worn down from looking for places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The place wouldnt be that bad if it had a decent kitchen. Maybe Ive just been worn down from looking for places to live.

Whats your budget?

Trust me I know the feeling. I convinced myself that a total kip "wasn't too bad" a few years ago because I was sick of the constant viewings and not having a place of my own. Big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

JustShon wrote: »
    Trust me I know the feeling. I convinced myself that a total kip "wasn't too bad" a few years ago because I was sick of the constant viewings and not having a place of my own. Big mistake.

Think anyone renting in Dublin with a budget of under €1,200 is in the same boat , there no chance of finding a really decent place. like our apartment now is €1,500. But even still we've had ongoing issues with mold in the bathrooms and around windows , we've replaced nearly all the furniture incl beds , couch's units wardrobes etc... basically everything bar the table and that's the next to go because they were all total crap , the landlord didn't care at all he told us to fire away as he'd got most of the stuff from recycle centers and charity shops.we also had to buy plug in oil filled rads as the storage heating is fkd (like storage heating in every place we've lived) .

we can well afford the rent and have one room sublet but its taken us pumping almost €3,000 of our own money into the place to make it in anyway comfy , warm and not mold infested. Like this really is what it has come too on over €85'000 combined we regularly talk about how lucky we are to have this place and the truth is compared to living standards in other country's its an overpriced kip to be honest, but no chance we could afford better and save to get out of the rent trap. as i said before it really is a sorry state of affairs at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Stacksey wrote: »
    Whats your budget?

I've just been looking for a place cheaper than what Im currently paying (700), Its in my budget but doesnt leave much left over. In Galway though, not Dublin so prices arent as bad but there is still a lack of 1/2 bed places.
    JustShon wrote: »

I'm lucky the place Im in at the moment is pretty good, have been keeping an eye on daft but have yet to find anything worth looking at in the past month. Prices start 100 above what we're paying for worse and any shared places don't want couples. It isnt worth to risk to move if you have a place thats half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

In the past 10 years people have been moving abroad because they couldn't get work here, in the next 10 years people will be moving abroad because they cant find somewhere to live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I was trying to get a job back in Dublin. I live in Germany. This is just another nail in the coffin for that idea. I seen a guy had to pay €4.5k for 1 years car insurance as his no claims has lapsed. The car was a €4K worth 2008 1.6L.

Good luck to people looking for a place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

gar32 wrote: »
    I was trying to get a job back in Dublin. I live in Germany. This is just another nail in the coffin for that idea. I seen a guy had to pay €4.5k for 1 years car insurance as his no claims has lapsed. The car was a €4K worth 2008 1.6L.

Good luck to people looking for a place there.

Theres always somthing to be negative about each country. If your negative person you see bad things everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I put a 2 bed apt. in a not so great part of Dublin on daft last night. I've arranged viewing for weekend. If I was to take ad down now after 24 hours I'm looking at about 100 people at the viewing this weekend.
    Also I priced it at the upper end of rents for that area and I've received an offer of 10% more even before they've viewed it.
    Madness, I feel sorry for all those people. I'm not looking forward to that viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's still ok to get a sharing place around town. However getting your own is non existent.

Some decent value still available around D15 for whole houses

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/castleknock/24-riverwood-dale-castleknock-dublin-1647262/

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/castleknock/luttrellstown-place-castleknock-dublin-1647108/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

EB_2013 wrote: »
    The original one posted at a grand doesn't look that bad compared to this :eek: What a dump.

Opening viewing, so they'll probably end up a few people wanting to take it.

They must be hoping for a dude, they left the toilet seat up in the pic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Big big difference between sleeping rough and homelessness.
    Homelessness is a massive problem in Ireland.

As usual central gvt is responsible for what is a local problem. The councils have the powers all they have to do is ask for gvt assistance once a budget is presented & cost for.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

They must be hoping for a dude, they left the toilet seat up in the pic :p

The ad didn't mention the green bar of soap in the jacks is included in the rent, not looking so bad afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What do you think will happen?

god only knows, but it has been disturbing to watch all this unfold. im coming to the conclusion, our economic and financial systems are dictating how we run our countries. theyre no longer helping us. everybody is sitting back waiting for the market to take control of the situation. this is not happening and may not. we have to start building affordable houses right now, in fact we should have been 10 years ago. this isnt gonna end well at all. i wish i could have faith in our current government in kick starting something to deal with this, but i just dont. im deeply worried about this issue. it is one of the biggest problems to face the state, maybe ever, and little or nothing has been done to date. thank god theres people like Fr Peter McVerry ramming this issue down everybody's throat as this would be far far worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Theres always somthing to be negative about each country. If your negative person you see bad things everywhere

I don't think you have to be too negative to see rental prices as insane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

1. As much as I sympathise with tenants, landlords are not a charity. They did not invest to give people homes, they invested to make money.

2. A lot of landlords bought at the height of the boom and have mortgages of 1400 plus per month, plus management fees (extortionate for what they actually provide these days) and on top of that all rents are taxed at 51%...so a landlord charging 1500 PCM after tax and expenses may very well have 700 to go against a mortgage. Landlords also lost the the option of off setting mortgage interest against tax relief. It went from 100% to 75%. So essentially you can be renting for more than the mortgage payment but you still pay tax on the full payment.

3. There is also the issue of supply and demand. Simple economic theory that the government cannot seem to understand.

4. Last time I was in London, I saw family 3 beds going for 2000-3500 pound sterling, contrary to the fact that landlords are vilified for having "the worst rents in Europe".

5. My whole family own properties that are leased out and the properties are very well looked after and a reasonable rent is charged. While some landlords will take advantage, there is a majority of people out there that wouldn't care to admit that if they knew they could get more money, they would charge it.

Not intended as an insensitive rant, but I feel these points are relevant to this thread, especially No. 2. Landlords shouldn't be a scapegoat for all problems.

Advertisement