Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad things have gotten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

April 73 wrote: »
    That is utterly depressing. If I had to pay €1000 a month for that I would cry.
    What's also depressing is that it's had 1571 views in less than two days.

10,000 views in a week now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Stacksey wrote: »
    How can people live spending 50%+ on their mortgage/rent per month?

Not owning a car or having children helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm sorry?
    What does this mean?

Your forgiven. All benefits stay the same. Childrens welfare,unemployment benefit, family assistance, back to school allowance etc etc. Housing benefit will be lower but that doesnt matter as it is matched with rental cost. They will most importantly have a home and also more spare cash

Your forgiven. All benefits stay the same. Childrens welfare,unemployment benefit, family assistance, back to school allowance etc etc. Housing benefit will be lower but that doesnt matter as it is matched with rental cost. They will most importantly have a home and also more spare cash

And we will have towns were everyone is unemployed & on benefits!
    You think that's acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

That doesn't make sense?
    If the county councils around the country built houses as they always did up till the last 6 or,7 yrs that would give some movement in the housing market.
    And they wouldn't be renting from private landlords.

County councils didn't build houses up until 6 or 7 years ago. The government has purposely been moving people from the social housing setup for the past 15 years!

My question still stands. If you were in government and you had to house these people tomorrow, how would you do it?

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Then you are talking about people on welfare, contrary to your reply to me earlier. So my point stands. The house in Longford that was linked is not suitable for a homeless family to move into. Its too expensive.

I was making the clear distinction between people on welfare in houses and people 'homeless' in hotels in Dublin. These people are obviously on welfare too and my earlier point stands that it is a national issue, not just to a local county council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Replace Longford with any regional town that has good facilities.

When you say good facilities what are we talking?

syklops wrote: »
    When you say good facilities what are we talking?

State provided facilities, social facilities and the facilities of their accommodation would be greatly enhanced

Not every homeless person would want to go to the same area. There are lots of towns and villages accross the country . I think you will have to put forward a more worth while arguement . If your homeless does it really matter where you get your free home

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

As long as everyone wants to live in one city then it's only going to get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

<snip>

Mod: No sweeping generalisations of areas, people, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Nomis21 wrote: »

My absolute favourite thing about this ad is the picture of the fireplace, fair enough if it was some sort of super duper fireplace but it looks nothing more than a load of loose tiles about to fall to the ground, what a joke

Your trying to draw an arguement by making a statement about what I said which arent true. Read what I wrote. I feel like its a 10 year old writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Nomis21 wrote: »

Mostly AH'ers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OldNotWIse wrote: »

This isn't After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Actually this caused me to check similar places, like here, which is actually quite decent. More than a thousand views in half a day. It'll probably be gone tomorrow. It shows that the majority of the views are likely from actual renters, which is quite shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Or you can pay 900 for a room in rialto,
    as long as you are clean and quiet and operate a leave no trace policy ie give me your money and vanish
    It could be worse , they were looking for 1000 a month for the same room a couple of days ago.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/rialto/89-rialto-cottages-rialto-dublin-881254/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

bleary wrote: »
    as long as you are clean and quiet and operate a leave no trace policy ie give me your money and vanish
    It could be worse , they were looking for 1000 a month for the same room a couple of days ago.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/rialto/89-rialto-cottages-rialto-dublin-881254/

Wonder why they'd put themselves way over the rent a room threshold of 12K only to pay 50% of the 21.6K in tax. Unless they are unemployed it makes no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Wonder why they'd put themselves way over the rent a room threshold of 12K only to pay 50% of the 21.6K in tax. Unless they are unemployed it makes no sense.

Wouldn't it be 50% of anything above 12k they would pay in tax? And thats assuming they are already earning in the higher tax bracket. Maybe they have moved to part time.

Wouldn't it be 50% of anything above 12k they would pay in tax? And thats assuming they are already earning in the higher tax bracket. Maybe they have moved to part time.

Nope, it's liable on the WHOLE 21K, so if you earn 12K pay no tax, earn €12,000.01 then you pay tax on the whole lot. Crazy I know. I was assuming higher tax bracket alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

bleary wrote: »

That is beyond ridiculous! People's greed never ceases to amaze me.

Nope, it's liable on the WHOLE 21K, so if you earn 12K pay no tax, earn €12,000.01 then you pay tax on the whole lot. Crazy I know. I was assuming higher tax bracket alright.

This is a slight aside but it just popped into my head when looking at the above and it's something I never thought about in relation to rent a room or never saw mentioned and I have done a lot of background reading on rent a room because of various threads here.

Question that came to me is if a couple own the house and are renting rooms can they each have a 12k threashold for rent a room or is it one 12k threashold per house??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

This is a slight aside but it just popped into my head when looking at the above and it's something I never thought about in relation to rent a room or never saw mentioned and I have done a lot of background reading on rent a room because of various threads here.

Question that came to me is if a couple own the house and are renting rooms can they each have a 12k threashold for rent a room or is it one 12k threashold per house??

12k per dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

gar32 wrote: »
    It could be a Non resident LL which only pay 20% tax with deduction.

They pay full tax. The 20% deduction is effectively a deposit to revenue. If an overseas landlord is liable for tax at 52% then that is ultimately what they owe revenue and will have to settle the balance.

12k per dwelling.

Thought that would be the case alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have prices really gotten that bad though ?? Friends have rented a two bedroom appt in Harold's cross for €1300 a month, freshly decorated, new beds etc.

In late 80's college students were paying £130 a week in Ranelagh for a tiny one bed, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom separated by public hallway. Using an inflation calculator that works to €1179

I don't see that even with tight supplies that prices have really changed that much and many of the properties I see are if a much higher standard that they were in the past. Places like Dublin were always really expensive and supplies of accommodation were always scarce, I remember hanging round outside newspaper printers for the first prints to be released and running to a phone box to try and get places to rent which were usually gone by then anyway.

gar32 wrote: »
    It could be a Non resident LL which only pay 20% tax with deduction.

House is listed as owner occupied so that would be some feat!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jay18

Welcome to the Silicon Valley of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

This has to be a new low. Asking for €1,733 per month for two shared bedrooms, no living area/ kitchen. If anyone actually rents this for that amount I think they need to be committed.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/santry/oak-park-close-santry-dublin-1648285/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

carfax wrote: »
    This has to be a new low. Asking for €1,733 per month for two shared bedrooms, no living area/ kitchen. If anyone actually rents this for that amount I think they need to be committed.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/santry/oak-park-close-santry-dublin-1648285/
    A shed in Santry.
    No BER. Is he declaring income to revenue?

Advertisement