Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad things have gotten?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

_Brian wrote: »
    Have prices really gotten that bad though ?? Friends have rented a two bedroom appt in Harold's cross for €1300 a month, freshly decorated, new beds etc.

In late 80's college students were paying £130 a week in Ranelagh for a tiny one bed, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom separated by public hallway. Using an inflation calculator that works to €1179

How were they paying that much? Most of my friends were living in Ranelagh and Rathmines in college at the height of the boom when rents were also very high (maybe not quite as high as now) and their rents ranged from around €350 to about €550 a month in various houseshares and apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Maireadio wrote: »
    How were they paying that much? Most of my friends were living in Ranelagh and Rathmines in college at the height of the boom when rents were also very high (maybe not quite as high as now) and their rents ranged from around €350 to about €550 a month in various houseshares and apartments.

What years?
    Rent prices didn't follow the house price boom.
    There was a considerable dip in rents in the early noughties. The late 90's to 2002 or so we're a peak then a trough until 2006 or so when they peaked at roughly their earlier level. They then fell post 2008 with the recession and are in the last 12 months exceeding the earlier two peaks.

What years?
    Rent prices didn't follow the house price boom.
    There was a considerable dip in rents in the early noughties. The late 90's to 2002 or so we're a peak then a trough until 2006 or so when they peaked at roughly their earlier level. They then fell post 2008 with the recession and are in the last 12 months exceeding the earlier two peaks.

Mid 2004-mid 2008. Nobody was ever paying even €600 a month, even in the 2006-2008 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I was flat/room hunting in 2008.

It was a funny time because the rental market had started to fall so whole property rentals were better value then house shares which had existing higher contracts in place.

I distinctly remember the cheapest house shares being €600 in the city centre and surroundings. €700 was where somewhere vaguely liveable started from a house share point of view.

One that really sticks out was the third bedroom in a two bed flat in Smithfield. It was a nice flat, but it was a two bed. The bedroom they were offering for rent was because they had walled off the end of the sitting room to create a 3rd room that was max 10ft square. It just about held a double bed (against the wall) and a tiny wardrobe. There were high level windows in the interior wall to allow some daylight to pass through the bedroom into the sitting room. That one was E600pcm. A two double bed flat around the corner was up for rent for E1200 a month too. It had previously been let for more, but rents were falling.

Daft rental report from 2007 provides a nice illustration of the peak of the market.

http://www.daft.ie/report/Daft-Rental-Report-Q3-2007.pdf

I was flat/room hunting in 2008.

It was a funny time because the rental market had started to fall so whole property rentals were better value then house shares which had existing higher contracts in place.

I distinctly remember the cheapest house shares being €600 in the city centre and surroundings. €700 was where somewhere vaguely liveable started from a house share point of view.

One that really sticks out was the third bedroom in a two bed flat in Smithfield. It was a nice flat, but it was a two bed. The bedroom they were offering for rent was because they had walled off the end of the sitting room to create a 3rd room that was max 10ft square. It just about held a double bed (against the wall) and a tiny wardrobe. There were high level windows in the interior wall to allow some daylight to pass through the bedroom into the sitting room. That one was E600pcm. A two double bed flat around the corner was up for rent for E1200 a month too. It had previously been let for more, but rents were falling.

Daft rental report from 2007 provides a nice illustration of the peak of the market.

http://www.daft.ie/report/Daft-Rental-Report-Q3-2007.pdf

I lived in a lovely houseshare just off the North Cirular Road from 2005-2010, a lovely, spacious, well-maintained house with a back garden where all the bedrooms were huge. It was close to town and would only take me about 20 minutes max to walk to the top of O'Connell Street plus we had our pick of buses to get us places. It would take as long to walk in from Smithfield as from where I was. The rent was €360 then went up to €400 for 2006-2008 then back down to €360 for 2009-2010.

Not the very best area but, again, a lovely house very near town. And this was by no means unusual in my circle, most of whom lived on the southside in the nice inner suburbs. I have no idea how you were only finding livable places at the €700 per month mark. That is so far from my experience of Dublin city at that time. I presume my landlord was raising the rent to pretty near market value. (maybe a small bit lower because we were a good set of tenants if I do say so) Even if he was going a bit lower than market rate, I don't think you'd have been hitting €500 a month on the open market.

The current situation in Dublin is like nothing I've experienced since moving here in 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Stacksey wrote: »
    Most of the kips for rent in the city seen to be in the Dublin 7 area

www.daft.ie/21649193 and Dublin 8 almost 1.500€ for a 2 large bedrooms where only one person can enter at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

carfax wrote: »
    This has to be a new low. Asking for €1,733 per month for two shared bedrooms, no living area/ kitchen. If anyone actually rents this for that amount I think they need to be committed.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/santry/oak-park-close-santry-dublin-1648285/

Is that accommodation even legal?

The landlord has no respect for people at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The wardrobe looks like its made out of an old 'grow - tent'.
    I really hate metal bunks, no person over 18 should have to sleep on a metal bunk unless perhaps they are incarcerated.
    To have to chose between living on takeaways & noodles or give the Landlord 50e a week for breakfast & dinner? I'd hate to see the state of the dinner if the accomodation is anything to go by.
    Really, that can't be legal? 4 beds in a luxury shed with no living area!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

carfax wrote:
    This has to be a new low. Asking for €1,733 per month for two shared bedrooms, no living area/ kitchen. If anyone actually rents this for that amount I think they need to be committed.
    For students a roof over their heads and a place to study is primo, anything else is a bonus. The fact the LL is throwing in cooked meals for a cheap rate is a huge bonus and time saver & less stress. I lived in digs for a year in college, most relaxed I felt having the meals & laundry done so I could focus on studying and enjoying life & the city culture!
    Also the added weekly cleaning is a good offer not a lot of LL's or lodgement accommodation includes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement