Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Year Old Noisy Sleeper

Options
  • 19-05-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Up until a few weeks ago our daughter was sleeping from 8pm till around 7:30/8:00am. Now she's waking up at around 6:15am. She rarely naps anymore which makes her get over tired at around 5:30/6pm in the evenings. As a result evening time is often a struggle just to keep her awake as we are afraid of putting her to bed at around 7pm in case she wakes up even earlier.

also she's a very noisy sleeper. She's constantly talking in her sleep and is often sitting up asleep. She sleeps in a cot so she has plenty of room ( I think this may be the problem) we tried a cot divider but she keeps banging into it in the middle of the night which makes so much noise. Basically we are up so many times s night as she is sleeping in terrible positions (hands outside cot, head in awkward position which may result in creek of the neck)

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

hi

I wouldn't be afraid to put her to bed at 7pm in fact I'd suggest you do. Keeping her up when she's overtired will make it harder for her to fall asleep. Our 18 month old goes to bed at 7pm every evening no bother. The downside is we have less time with him after work but we're all happier with a night of sleep!

I also think the change in weather might have something to do with the change - it's much warmer now than it was. Have you changed what you put her in at night? My fella was waking up too warm a couple of nights last week cos I was putting him in the same stuff - vest/babygrow/grobag. Now he's just in a long sleeve vest and grobag while it's still warm - our house gets v warm - and that did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I would put her to bed at 7 too. Mine goes down at that time until about 7 the next morning and two naps during the day. Sleep begets sleep as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ditto. Mine is 23 months old and naps everyday. She is falling over by 5pm if she doesn't. She heads for the bed around 7:15pm most nights anyway. Sleep absolutely begets sleep with her. Mind you she's an early riser - 6:30 - 7am - and to be honest, that's a lie in. 5:30 - 6am was the norm around the age of 1. And that was with the same bedtime. It's just their natural body clock. If she goes to bed later, she wakes up earlier. Overtiredness, mainly.

I'd persevere with naps everyday too if I was you. They really do still need it at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Exactly what about posters said. My little guy 2.5 goes to bed no later than 7.30pm and sleeps through to 7.30 - 8 am the next morning,and then goes for a two hour nap around 11.30 -12. 00. They need that sleep,especially at your littler ones age. Keep trying the day time nap, I really think it leads to a better nights sleep,if my lad missed his day time nap (which is unavoidable sometimes) He is a demon and very restless that night in bed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

Basically we are up so many times s night as she is sleeping in terrible positions (hands outside cot, head in awkward position which may result in creek of the neck)

Any suggestions?

Leave her be and stop worrying!

One of ours twisted and turned and poked arms (and legs) out of the cot, whacked the head off the bars. They never lost a moment of sleep. No bumps, bruises or sprains either. By getting up and "fixing the problem" you are cutting back on much needed sleep for yourselves and that'll hurt more in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement