Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time buyer

Options
  • 19-05-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone my name is A , this is my very first topic here , so here my question:
    first of all I apologise in advance for any mistakes with my sentences (wasn't born and raise here in Ireland).

So me and my partner B are living in south of Ireland (precisely in Cork) since a year now and we've decided to get our own house in Kanturk (close to Mallow).

We've been through all the paperworks with the bank / solicitor ... Couple of weeks ago we've had a final written approval from the bank. But then an issue showed up , at the frontline of the neighbourhood where we try to buy a house some houses are being taking down because they are not safe anymore for people to live in (houses has cracks in the walls because the ground where house have been built is not straight).

So the bank valuer raised a flag so the bank got a bit scared and we had to arrange an engineer to come and evaluate the house where he certified their were no subsidences.

So this solved, we continued the process now that our solicitor has everything he needs to close the case and let us move in into the house , but since 3 weeks the vendor solicitor does not answer either our solicitor / estate agents calls / emails ... My partner and I are a bit stressed about this situation because nobody can give us an update on our case.

Is it normal for the solicitors to be SO LONG ?

We are dealing with the solicitors part since : the 10th of March 2016 so more than 2 months .

Thank to you all for your futur replies.

Best Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Welcome to boards!

I'm afraid vendors 'going dark' is a very common occurrence and can happen for all sorts of reasons. My advice is keep looking right up until the point that contracts are signed and you have a firm move in date. Even then dates can slip and moves can be called off.

A vendor may delay as the house they are moving too is delayed or for any number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

thanks for your reply , so the only thing we can do is to wait right ? :) so wait and see I'll let you know as soon as I've got news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

barry1708 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply , so the only thing we can do is to wait right ? :) so wait and see I'll let you know as soon as I've got news :)

Best to reply in thread as others may have a different take. Be guided by your solicitor they'll let you know if anything is out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I'm from around Kanturk myself, those houses need to be knocked, they've been condemned for the past few years. The solicitor should be your first port of call, keep pursuing the vendor and estate agent until it's resolved. By any chance is it a bank sale?

Best to reply in thread as others may have a different take. Be guided by your solicitor they'll let you know if anything is out of the ordinary.

many thanks

• Advertisement

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Clement, I'm from around Kanturk myself, those houses need to be knocked, they've been condemned for the past few years. The solicitor should be your first port of call, keep pursuing the vendor and estate agent until it's resolved. By any chance is it a bank sale?

Hello their , the exact place where those houses are is in Dun An Oir in Kanturk.

Its not a Bank sale the original owner lives out of the country (Spain) and sale the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hello their , the exact place where those houses are is in Dun An Oir in Kanturk.

Its not a Bank sale the original owner lives out of the country (Spain) and sale the house.

That might explain it, we've been sale agreed since the start of April and it's moving quick enough, contracts and letter of offer signed. The vendor living in Spain is probably the issue. Keep at them till you get an answer

Santy2015 wrote: »
    That might explain it, we've been sale agreed since the start of April and it's moving quick enough, contracts and letter of offer signed. The vendor living in Spain is probably the issue. Keep at them till you get an answer

Hy Santy just sent you a PM dont hesitate to chat me back :)

Hi everyone just a quick update on our case thought it could be interesting for some of you to know what our situation looks like now : We have finally after more than 3 weeks heard from the vendor solicitor , and now they both have difficulties about a bound , my solicitor is wondering if the **bond is in place**.

I tried to look exactly for what a bond is but I dont really understand ...

I feel like we are stuck in the solicitor part of the process.

I feel like they dont really care.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The bond is a large sum of money the developer gives the council before they start to build. It's like a guarantee, the money is there to finish the roads, landscaping and street lighting for example. Some developers got away with not paying the bond meaning there's no money to do these things. It would be a worry, the owners may be asked to pay.

Have you also checked out the fire safety? There was a horrible fire there last December and there were suggestions that there's a gap in the attics allowing fire to spread quickly.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    The bond is a large sum of money the developer gives the council before they start to build. It's like a guarantee, the money is there to finish the roads, landscaping and street lighting for example. Some developers got away with not paying the bond meaning there's no money to do these things. It would be a worry, the owners may be asked to pay.

Have you also checked out the fire safety? There was a horrible fire there last December and there were suggestions that there's a gap in the attics allowing fire to spread quickly.

Hello ! Thanks for your reply now I understand a bit more what a bond is.

We had an engineer that made a house survey for us and he said that basically the house was safe and sound so no big deal on this side of things . Fingers crossed that the situation will be sorted ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I think you are mad going ahead with this purchase. There are too many alarm bells going off.

Houses with subsidence, houses that need to be knocked, questionable fire safety, development levies / or bond not paid ands that's probably not the extent of it.

I would be running a mile from this, it sounds like you are buying someone else's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I agree with the poster above, you'll also struggle to get house insurance in that area!

Advertisement