Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meters in Knocknacarra?

Options
  • 19-05-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,

a guy called to my house this morning. My parents are staying with us and they opened the door.. my mother called me and this guys said they are installing water meter in the area and "I should call the office"

I am not much into politics but did they not say that they were suspending water charges for 2 years?
    But they are still installing water meter?

just a bit confused and looking help and clarification

By the way, I did pay my bills (right or wrong)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's probably nothing, I doubt the wheels already turning grind to a halt so quickly. These aren't people concerned about saving money on something that may become unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Metering and charging for water are separate issues. They still need meters to monitor usage, check for leaks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's a very big renovation of the water works planned by Irish Water in parts of the city over the next month.It will mean some people needing their back gardens dug. Estates in Salthill, Claddagh and other areas, maybe Knocknacarra will be part of it. Maybe your mum misunderstood and it's part of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

thank you all guys

_Whimsical_
    I actually spoke with the guy.. He said water meter and water pit "something something" ( can t remember)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

There's a very big renovation of the water works planned by Irish Water in parts of the city over the next month.It will mean some people needing their back gardens dug.

Do you have a link to an official source on this please? Or do you know if affected households have already been informed? I'd certainly like to know if there are plans afoot to dig up my back garden :eek:.

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to an official source on this please? Or do you know if affected households have already been informed? I'd certainly like to know if there are plans afoot to dig up my back garden :eek:.

There isn't much info online.
    It's this project : http://www.galwaycity.ie/water-conservation/water-conservation-information#2
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/255/59/Irish-Water-invest-7-3-million-in-Galway-City-Water-Conservation-Project/

We got a letter about it and these are the areas it will go on in.

ot7phIt.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that information. We're not on that list but it sounds like the kind of work that could be carried out anywhere in the future if water supply issues are identified. So it could happen to any of us. I'd really appreciate an update after the works are done especially in regard to the level of disruption caused and the steps that were taken to ensure that your garden was left in the same condition as it was in before the works.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I had Murphy Eng at my place during the week under the first fix scheme (they are the contractor installing the meters for IW in Galway) & they told me the directive from the government is to continue with the meter installation & repair works regardless of the stay on charges.

I'd imagine the callers to the OP were genuine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

The water meters aren't being used anyway - they just billed everyone the flat rate until now. But they did use them to check for leaks. They contacted me about this (turned out it was the neighbours who had a leak and they had us down on the wrong meters number)

So in that sense it would still allow them to continue that practice.

I had Murphy Eng at my place during the week under the first fix scheme (they are the contractor installing the meters for IW in Galway) & they told me the directive from the government is to continue with the meter installation & repair works regardless of the stay on charges.

Makes sense, the stay on charges is only for 9 months. I'm sure it won't go away so easily.

Eloise4Ever, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Metering and charging for water are separate issues. They still need meters to monitor usage, check for leaks, etc.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

They left this at the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vpr0

I'm personally going to decline their invitation to dig-up my back garden because the water supply here works and I've never had any problems with it in my 40 years living here. The pressure has never been a problem either. I live in a 1950's house in Knocknacarra and the public water pipes leading into my property are actually up to standard, despite what some are claiming in the City Council and Gov't. I've never had any leaks and I would advise anyone else to have a good hard think about whether its really worth having unnecessary works done just so they can monitor you. Most of the lead pipes are actually in old areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

they have been all over knocknacarra this week, seen them in their vans,sometimes sitting outside a house for 10-15 mins then driving off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

vpr0 wrote: »
    I'm personally going to decline their invitation to dig-up my back garden because the water supply here works and I've never had any problems with it in my 40 years living here. The pressure has never been a problem either. I live in a 1950's house in Knocknacarra and the public water pipes leading into my property are actually up to standard, despite what some are claiming in the City Council and Gov't. I've never had any leaks and I would advise anyone else to have a good hard think about whether its really worth having unnecessary works done just so they can monitor you. Most of the lead pipes are actually in old areas of Dublin.

might be lead pipes

Someone told me they're working from 8am to nearly 9pm in Highfield right now on the roads fixing pipes etc. It can't be a bad thing if they're fixing things.

Tinfoil hat much?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the public water pipes leading into my property are actually up to standard,... Most of the lead pipes are actually in old areas of Dublin.

How do you know that?

Lead pipes were still being used here until the 1970s from what I've heard. Certainly they were used in some places built in Mervue in the 1950s.

Also, just because your pipes haven't leaked until now doesn't mean that they won't in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Some of the more established areas such as Shantalla, Claddagh, Bohermore & Old Mervue all had lead pipes originally.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vpr0

Most of the lead pipes were replaced in the 1980's and early 1990's in Shantalla, Claddagh, Bohermore and Mervue because I remember the Council doing those works then. E.U money was pouring in then. The water pipe entering my house is a black plastic pipe which was replaced in the early 80's as were most other houses during that time. I got my water tested by the HSE and the Lead levels were the same as normal modern pipes.

Tbh, the existing pipes rarely leak compared to the new ones they lay along the front road due to vibrations from heavy traffic. I am happy to stay on the existing water supply and would not consent to having these guys change me onto another supply because I can honestly say I have never had any problems with it.

• Advertisement

How do you know that there are no leaks? I'm genuinely curious how you are so certain seeing as the water body responsible has to install meters to detect excessive usage which is a good indicator that a leak exists.

Please elaborate

Advertisement