Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture Frame Routing Disaster

Options
  • 19-05-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I decided to do a triptych( i think they call it that anyways) a collection of 3 photos . I made the frame out of mdf and routed out the recesses to insert the pictures.The bearing wheel on the router bit went awry on the right insert leaving a bit of a mess. It looks awkward to fill as it is on a lip if u know what i mean. Woodfiller came to mind or is there an alternative i wonder. I'm afraid to do anything with it atm as i might ruin a lot of hard work here. Any suggestions would be appreciated and as per usual i will put up the finished result in a while. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Cut around the existing fault in a dovetail fashion,

/____\

Glue this long edge innermost, and the short edge along the existing moulded edge.

Let dry , sand short edge flush, and re route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

if you are painting them use isopon car body filler and sand smooth .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

dathi wrote: »
    if you are painting them use isopon car body filler and sand smooth .

You beat me to it, often used Isopon for similar jobs. Only extra I can add is to fire a staple or small pin of two into the hollow to give the Isopon something to grip to (make sure it won't interfere with subsequent routing!). For a belt and braces job you could undercut the hollow with a chisel also (along the lines suggested by Kadman.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Nice one Kadman...worked ok i think...again i keep promising myself never to work with mdf...dust everywhere....i'll put up a final photo when its painted and hung to my wall.

Nice one Kadman...worked ok i think...again i keep promising myself never to work with mdf...dust everywhere....i'll put up a final photo when its painted and hung to my wall.

Nice one, looking good there:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Looking on the far right photo of the three....the original mistake is hardly noticable after being painted. Now to finish and hang on my wall...i'm running out of wall by the way!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Nice job looks good

Well done

Advertisement