Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Windows 7 Update Problems

Options
  • 19-05-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭

Seems to me like Microsoft have throttled Windows Updates for Windows 7. Has anybody else experienced this ?

Comments

They've definitely done something.

I've had some newly installed Windows 7 machines taking hours just to check for updates. There's some hotfixes that resolve issues with very high RAM consumption and CPU usage when checking for updates, KB3102810 and KB3138612, but these don't seem to fix the issue of it just taking ages to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Seems to me like Microsoft have throttled Windows Updates for Windows 7. Has anybody else experienced this ?
    Microsoft have bundled a lot of 7 and 8.1 updates into one file, have a look at the link below.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

200motels wrote: »
    Microsoft have bundled a lot of 7 and 8.1 updates into one file, have a look at the link below.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

Trying to get these for W7 now, selected a folder I created to download into, then it won't progress, Continue button is greyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭mrtom

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Podcasts I'm subbed to have been talking about it, definite slowdown. Almost like the entire W7 install base is pulling from 1x WSUS server :/

More passive "pushing" to W10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I have an ancient dell desktop that won't run w10 and wouldn't update w7 either. WU was hogging the processor so I turned WU off back in January. I gave WU a try on the second Tuesday this month and lo and behold it started to download and install... I was shocked tbh. It started by downloading a single update first and prompted me to restart, when it installed 1of 1 and restarted all the other updates (27) I think, started to fly in.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Trying to get these for W7 now, selected a folder I created to download into, then it won't progress, Continue button is greyed.
    Download them through internet explorer.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Thanks.aspx?id=140

mrtom wrote: »
    200motels wrote: »

Tried mrtom's suggestion, restarted (though not prompted to) and was using IE for it. Folder selection doesn't propagate to the window with greyed Continue button. textbox for folder name in same window also greyed.

Downloading now on a different laptop. This one (which has the problem) has IE11, the one its downloading on now has IE8. Both have Win7/64.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Downloading now on a different laptop. This one (which has the problem) has IE11, the one its downloading on now has IE8. Both have Win7/64.
    Strange one. Try the link below and use internet explorer and click on the highlighted Microsoft Update Catalogue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/396236-simplifying-updates-windows-7-8-1-a.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

(tinfoil hat secured on head) it's like they are trying to force people to update to W10 by scuppering attempts to reinstall other versions of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

I've recently been having trouble with a Windows Update; it fails to completely install and now my laptop doesn't boot. It gets stuck on the Windows logo. When I went into Safe Mode I did a sfc /scannow There is a repair due but I have to restart, however the repair is never made as I can't boot! I tried messing about online and eventually it seemed to sort itself out and my laptop was working but then the automatic update started again when I shutdown! It failed to install, causing it to lock up on the Windows logo again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Microsoft don't want anybody on older OS.

While they have to maintain 7 and 8 for a good number of years more, the reason they offered windows 10 to everybody for free, even if your using a pirated version is to encourage every user to upgrade.

They want to move to a apple type model. Instead of releasing a new OS every few years, upgrade it periodically.

Further Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Having Problems with Windows update today, Anybody else?
    Using Win7 - all it does is search for updates but never stops -
    Most recent update check was yesterday,
    I'm sure June's batch of updates has been released already but nothing coming through... My CPU fan is roaring at me also.
    Stressful!

It's a bloody nightmare. I can't upgrade my desktop to win 10 I keep getting an error about my P4 cpu not being incompatible and I can't do W7 updates either. Like yourself the cpu was going nuts so I turned off auto updates for a few months. Last month I turned updates back on and they worked:eek: I haven't tried this month but going on what your saying it isn't looking great:( I'll try it tomorrow and let you know what happens.

I tried W7 updates earlier and they're working perfectly... Not much consolation to you I suppose.

Mine still not working, just continuous searching without completion.
    First time experiencing this problem too whatever happened.. so maybe it'll start working in a few months like yours did.
    I didn't install Windows 10 through choice, but if this continues I may just go for it.

mark17j wrote: »
    Mine still not working, just continuous searching without completion.
    First time experiencing this problem too whatever happened.. so maybe it'll start working in a few months like yours did.
    I didn't install Windows 10 through choice, but if this continues I may just go for it.

Fixed! Did a bit of reading up and found out lots have same issue
    I installed security update KB3161664 from Microsoft.com and all is
    perfect again - June's updates came through and now installed.
    Still asking me to Install Windows 10 - I dunno I may just do it before July 29th.

mark17j wrote: »
    Fixed! Did a bit of reading up and found out lots have same issue
    I installed security update KB3161664 from Microsoft.com and all is
    perfect again - June's updates came through and now installed.
    Still asking me to Install Windows 10 - I dunno I may just do it before July 29th.

Great stuff. I'll check mine later to see if I have KB3161664. Maybe that's what sorted mine.

I have KB3161664 installed, it was installed on the 16/6/16.

• Advertisement

Same old same old (Again):( - endless checking for updates with nothing coming through.
    Win 7 64-bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

It's been a bit better of late. I leave a PC on overnight and it's usually rebooted and most of the updates are installed.

Advertisement