Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    eh .. thanks for the responses ... (i think ;-) ) really want to go up to Aguille de Midi with the kids and gang .. there is an option for the kids to get a Planards lift pass included in their ski lessons .. so we may have to pay extra for them to go up .. whats the story with the Blanch Vallee .. it sounds amazing but is it advance .. I know you need to get a guide for it.

Sean

Yes, you need a guide for the Vallee Blanch. if the kids get a pass with ski lessons then just pay the Aiguille de Midi pass as an extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

From your description of abilities you won't need the unlimited pass. You only need it to get up the Aiguille and the top lift in GM. You should only ski off the Aiguille with a guide unless you're high mountain self sufficient, which none of us here are. The top lift in GM isn't really worth the queueing - I've been to Chamonix maybe 5 times and have been up to that top lift probably around 5 times! Better to ski than queue imo.

So prob makes more sense to only get the unlimited pass for the day that you go up the aiguille. You used to be able to "upgrade" your Chamonix pass to get up the top lift in GM for ten euro a go, I'm not sure if you can do similar for the Aiguille.

There are one or two gentle slopes up at Brevant and a beginners area below Brevant in Chamonix town. I knew a lad who went on his first three trips to Chamonix and never skied anything other than the blues above the main lift in GM on each of the three trips :eek:. I think he skied the home run on his third trip. But I thought that was bonkers. IMO best area for beginners is Le Tour / Balme. A good few wide open gentle slopes there. Trees down to Vallorcine are good craic too, particularly if clouds come in.

I thought the bus service was ok actually - my recollection is relatively frequent and maybe 20 mins from Chamonix town to GM, slightly less to Flegere, slightly more to Le Tour.

Unfortunately Chamonix is a very spread out resort and you will find it awkward in a big group and not ideal for beginners either. But on the plus side the town is nice and your wife should be happier potting around there than your average ski resort. Aiguille lift is an experience in itself and should be good craic for the kids, as is the lift up to Brevant, quite an experience.

When I was there munchies was a very good restaurant, although that was prob at least 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Heading to Kitzbuhel in March, flying into Munich in late afternoon and back on a midday flight. What's the best options for transfer? Trains look tight, any delay in flight out and won't get last train to Kitzbuhel and any delay in train back will mean missing flight!! Anyone got any experience of this transfer? Hire a car or private transfer are the other options. There will be between 4 and 6 of us in total.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

AdpRo wrote: »
    Heading to Kitzbuhel in March, flying into Munich in late afternoon and back on a midday flight. What's the best options for transfer? Trains look tight, any delay in flight out and won't get last train to Kitzbuhel and any delay in train back will mean missing flight!! Anyone got any experience of this transfer? Hire a car or private transfer are the other options. There will be between 4 and 6 of us in total.

If you hire a car couple of things to watch out for. Make sure when you rent it what the terms and conditions are for taking it out of Germany. I got stuck with an extra charge for this in Munich by not paying close enough attention when booking. The German police are very active on the road to Austria so watch your speed. Once you cross into Austria you need a pass (vignette) to drive on Austrian motorways. They sell them in all the shops before the border or you may be able to just pick a route that avoids it. We were diving to Soll, Kitzbuhel is a bit further on but it was an easy drive to Soll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Heading to Kitzbuhel in March, flying into Munich in late afternoon and back on a midday flight. What's the best options for transfer? Trains look tight, any delay in flight out and won't get last train to Kitzbuhel and any delay in train back will mean missing flight!! Anyone got any experience of this transfer? Hire a car or private transfer are the other options. There will be between 4 and 6 of us in total.[/QUOTE

Car is the easiest but there are trains to worgl and a change there to kitz. About 2 hr drive very easy and decent roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

Snow, Snow, Snow

over a metre to add to the base from 10th November, in Flaine.

Can stop stessing over my holiday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

any recommendations for a ski rental and ski school in Westendorf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have driven to soll twice and it was fine. Bring a sat nav and it will be no problem go as far as worgl and turn left. having a car lets you visit other runs and is heavenly at the end of the day. if flying into memmingen you have to go through Munich but if you are Munich it is just straight unto the motor way.

any thing above 4 will be fine cost wise. Ask for winter tyres when renting, they are legally required but are not put on by default. I did not ask for snowchains when renting and did fine without them

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

OBERSTDORF
    Hello, heading on a family ski trip to Oberstdorf, any advice on where to go or what not to miss, eating out, ski schools/hire etc, bar the skiing obviously. Any tips or hints greatly received.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Quick one guys; me and my friends are looking for a decent last-minute ski trip and we are seeeing UCPA offering a full Ski instruction week in Chamonix on the 4th of March for 655 (Flights etc ourselves). Would this be too late in the season? To me the price looks very good for 23 hours of ski instruction and basically everything we need. Only place I have ever been skiing was Zugspitze area in Austria. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Just booked Morzine for next weekend from London form I GoSki. Planned taking 2 days off work but a flight from gatwick at 17.30 thurs returning Sunday at 20.40 gets 3 full days on the slopes minus hire pick up. Only ski pass option was thurs to Sun on the booking so presume can get Fri to Sun instead over there. Keen to shop around for hire prices also. £1368 for two for flights+transfers= half board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Quick one guys; me and my friends are looking for a decent last-minute ski trip and we are seeeing UCPA offering a full Ski instruction week in Chamonix on the 4th of March for 655 (Flights etc ourselves). Would this be too late in the season? To me the price looks very good for 23 hours of ski instruction and basically everything we need. Only place I have ever been skiing was Zugspitze area in Austria. Thanks!

I've been to Chamonix later than that and was perfect. I've also stayed at the UCPA there. Great spot and really relaxed & chilled instructors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Anyone used shuttledirect for transfers? They're very cheap compared to other transfer companies. It has me worried that they're so much cheaper.

Also, anyone recommend ski hire & lessons in Brixen? Cheers.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just booked Morzine for next weekend from London form I GoSki. Planned taking 2 days off work but a flight from gatwick at 17.30 thurs returning Sunday at 20.40 gets 3 full days on the slopes minus hire pick up. Only ski pass option was thurs to Sun on the booking so presume can get Fri to Sun instead over there. Keen to shop around for hire prices also. £1368 for two for flights+transfers= half board.

Very close to booking morzine for the week from the 28th to 4th. Any word on what snow conditions are like there? I'd be getting the full pds ski pass.

Timmaay wrote: »

Very close to booking morzine for the week from the 28th to 4th. Any word on what snow conditions are like there? I'd be getting the full pds ski pass.
    Will report around the 30th, not much point until a few days before landing.

27th rather

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/19/italy-earthquakes-avalanche-hotel
    Up to 30 people are missing with many feared dead after an avalanche buried a ski resort hotel in the Abruzzo region of central Italy, which has been rattled by a series of earthquakes.

About 20-30 guests had been staying at the Rigopiano hotel in the town of Farindola, in the lower Gran Sasso mountain range, when the avalanche struck on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

I can officially join this thread now, flights booked to Bergamo for a few days in second week March with myself and 2 mates .
    No idea on resort yet but planning on hiring a car so there are plenty of options. Any opinions appreciated.

The following are about 2 and a half to 3 hours (check google)

Cervinia - high but stunning views of Matterhorn, can get closed in high winds

Courmayeur never been but supposed to be class

Gressony Champoluc - again never been but would like a look

La Thuile - think its up that way (Aosta valley)?

Pila - in Aosta valley but small so only good for a day or two's skiing if you're eager

Madesimo - small resort towards swiss border, quite different and laid back

Dolomites - longer drive (3 hours plus I think) but stunningly beautiful, a whole bunch of resorts, I'd say Arraba wouldn't be bad if you like blacks (skied through it briefly last year, at least I think that was the name - it was on the Sella Ronda which is a great day's skiing altogether). Views in Dolomites are really second to none

Madonna di campiglio or something like that - more or less number one on my hitlist but still haven't made it yet either, long drive too

In general italian resorts tend to be chilled, good cheap food on piste, nice atmosphere, but not much by way of apres ski. If your flexible why not wait till closer to time to choose and see where good snow is. Conditions tend to be quite different between Dolomites and Western Italy. At the moment there has been more or less no natural snow in the Dolomites, so you might be skiing on ribbons of white through brown fields low down. Western Italy has gotten a few dumps which means its better set up right now. If snow is poor Cervinia is the highest.

Bear in mind if chasing fresh snow you won't get winter tyres on car unless you ask, and few places actually do them, so if likely to be driving through snow make sure you know how to put chains on.

Thanks a148pro, lots of good info there. I've been to Cervinia, Livigno and Sauze d'Oulx before but only with package holidays.
    The only negative for returning to Cervinia would be that if you got 3 days of flat light or windy weather there isn't many trees for protection. But it be great to pop over to Zermatt again.
    We're going to keep any eye on conditions and decide on resort nearer the time. Worst case we could always head to Chamonix.
    Regarding car hire, the little bit of homework I've done seems that chains are included but as you say nothat winter tyres.

I'd definitely like to try the dolomites and Madonna de Campiglio looks worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

a148pro wrote: »

Courmayeur never been but supposed to be class
    jvan wrote: »
    Worst case we could always head to Chamonix.

Courmayeur is lovely, very groomed and scenic, there are a few nice runs but if you're competent you'll probably be bored after a day and a half. I only remember one black, and that was very short and more of a red, than black.

You could combine the two, there is a daily bus that goes from Chamonix to Courmayeur, e25 return iirc, leaves 9am and returns at 5:30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

La Thuile is just off the same road that leads to Courmayer. Great place for a short trip. Very small town and very quiet but some great skiing with a link to La Roisere and some lovely restaurants.
    The mountain is unusual as there are a few brilliant black runs are close to the resort and the easier blue and reds are higher up. The Planibel Hotel is about 300 meters up the road from the main village but is great and right beside the ski lifts.
    Might be a bit far from Bergamo, 146kms so probably 150-180 minutes drive.
    We liked it so much that we are going again next week for four days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Just read your last post again, very sensible to wait to see conditions and second week in March will be very easy to get accommodation.

Great skiing at close quarters in that valley, all under the same pass I think too? Would love to spend a couple of days touring them all

Yes chains come as standard in italy just make sure they're actually in car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I can officially join this thread now, flights booked to Bergamo for a few days in second week March with myself and 2 mates .
    No idea on resort yet but planning on hiring a car so there are plenty of options. Any opinions appreciated.
    Good deal of info on skiing near Bergamo :
    snowheads.com, search for Bergamo

k123456 wrote: »
    Good deal of info on skiing near Bergamo :
    snowheads.com, search for Bergamo

Noticed a thread on it last night by somebody from Dublin, anyone from this here I wonder?

Noticed a thread on it last night by somebody from Dublin, anyone from this here I wonder?

Seems a disproportionate amount of irish on that forum. Good to see.

Anyone been to Oberstdorf skiing before?

Anyone been to Oberstdorf skiing before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've had to cancel my ski trip to morzine for next week due to a serious family incident, I booked the accommodation through booking.com, no refunds which is a proper pain in the arse, but they will let me defer the booking at least. How late can I get away with skiing in the PDS region? Would early April be too late?

Advertisement