Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

cormee wrote: »
    Yeh, there doesn't seem to have been a lot of snow in Chamonix in the last few weeks, so I'd say the busier slopes were threadbare. It's bucketing down now, and forecast to keep doing so for the next five days - I'm hoping to go there in early April, so I have the countdown/weather/webcam app set up on my phone and watching it closely :D
    How would you rate Chamonix for children - would you bring them back there or would you try a different resort? I have neighbours who are bringing their kids in March, I'd never have considered it an ideal destination for young 'uns, myself.

There was only two areas for kids Ski Lessons ..Savoy and Planards.. I got our accommodation beside Planards and booked our skis from Sport2000 which had a shop there..so they spent the week there and got a bit bored with it towards the end, we only put them in for morning classes as I wanted to ski with them in the afternoon, this meant that wherever I was I would have to get the a bus back to the planards..then stay on a small blue slope there, I was hoping to get out somewhere else with them at the end of the week..but wind closed most of the lifts.

They enjoyed the ski school and the lessons seemed to be very good..the town itself is nice and quite big.

Don't think I would take the kids there again..last year in Austria all the lessons finished on the same slope..add no buses required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Is this your second trip?

Yes :D

Back since Saturday, snow conditions were reasonable considering it got very warm during the week (13 degrees one day). There was a bit of rain/snow midweek so that freshened things up a bit. Overall a great trip with some good skiing done. Salzburg airport was the busiest I've ever seen it also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

2 trips lined up for March (could go a 3rd time but divorce could be an issue). Anticipation is getting so bad that I have started having skiing dreams...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Got back from Brixen im Thale last night. After 8 years away from Austria I soon realised how silly I was leaving it that long. Fance is great but there's just something about the Skiwelt. I'll have to try some of the other Austrian resorts soon. We skied over and back to Kitzbuhel one day and conditions were fantastic over that side. I'd love a second trip this year but can't see it happening.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

pgibbo wrote: »
    Got back from Brixen im Thale last night. After 8 years away from Austria I soon realised how silly I was leaving it that long. Fance is great but there's just something about the Skiwelt. I'll have to try some of the other Austrian resorts soon. We skied over and back to Kitzbuhel one day and conditions were fantastic over that side. I'd love a second trip this year but can't see it happening.

P.

Yeh, I was the same, spent the last few years going to France, having been to Austria once before. Went to St. Anton this year, and apart from the food I loved it - especially the Ski Routes and the off-piste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    So depressing going back to work in the rain this morning!
    That  red was very nice...but a bit icy!
    Did that exact run combination a few years ago...different conditions though. We had great dry, kind of fresh snow up the top and big wet lumpy mounds of moguls at the bottom. Legs burning by the end. Great run though!

pgibbo wrote: »

P.
    Never been to Austria, but I will compare Europe, in general, to most of the resorts I've been to in Canada. In Europe, it seems the lifts and pistes were built around where towns already existed, so there's a bit of buzz around the base, apres ski, bars hotels and all that jazz. Out here, most of the resorts are remote from any real 'town.' There's usually about a 10 min drive from town to lifts. It's like this at Sunshine, Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke and Big White. The result is there is almost zero connectivity between resorts so no big combined areas like Portes du Soleil etc. The other effect is that instead of skiing down and having a few beers etc. most people are getting ready to pack up and leave to go to hotels in the nearest town, or drive a few hours home. Not to say there aren't resorts of the European model out here (e.g. Whistler-Blackcomb) but the general idea seems to be privatised land owners building lifts out away from the villages. Some great terrain, but you would miss the apres ski aspect a bit.

Heading to Fernie on the company ski-trip at the weekend. They got over a metre of snow last weekend, road out of there was closed until Tuesday and more snow forecast Thurs and Fri. Hopefully I'll be back here next week with some epic powder photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

With this weekends weather forecast for Ireland it may be the weekend to take on Djouce/Lugnaquilla Mountain resort...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

How would you rate Chamonix for children - would you bring them back there or would you try a different resort? I have neighbours who are bringing their kids in March, I'd never have considered it an ideal destination for young 'uns, myself.
    In my opinion, there are much better places for children than Chamonix in France (e.g. Avoriaz, La Plagne and the vast majority of the smaller resorts e.g. Arêches-Beaufort). Chamonix is great for its long and tough pistes and for the vallée blanche run but the fact ski areas aren't ski-connected isn't ideal for an optimal familly experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mch82

Anyone ever been to La Thuile in Italy? How did you rate the skiing there? It sounds like it is quiet enough for Apres? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm heading to St Anton on Saturday for my one and only trip of this year. This will be my first time skiing where I (hopefully) have a decent level of fitness so it will be interesting to see what sort of a difference it makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

mch82 wrote: »
    Anyone ever been to La Thuile in Italy? How did you rate the skiing there? It sounds like it is quiet enough for Apres? Thanks

was there a few years ago, nice resort with really well maintained pistes. some nice steep slopes down into the town and good flatish area at the top for beginners. Access to la rosiere ups the mileage available. Some nice off piste (was with a guide) also I remember.

As normal for Italy I think, lovely town and mountain restaurants, zero nightlife though (not that I was looking for it that hard though tbh).

I'm heading to St Anton on Saturday for my one and only trip of this year. This will be my first time skiing where I (hopefully) have a decent level of fitness so it will be interesting to see what sort of a difference it makes.

Was there last year, good spot, make sure you take advantage of the link over the Lech. The Skishow is meant to be worth a look but wasn't on the week we were there (http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/events/skishow-schneetreiben-with-fireworks)

I really liked Rendl first thing in the morning before the crowds. If you are a confident skier try some ski routes (also leant to differentiate them on the piste map or you end up looking for a pistes that isn't a piste! :-D

Basecamp is a good bar at the bottom of the slope the 2 infamous ones up the slope are good too. We rented our gear from the place right below the main lift (Galzig) good heated storage etc though bit a of a scrum at peak times. The Engineering of the Galzig lift is incredible.

If there is a fresh dump the area below the Gampen chair is a great bit of off piste but you have to be quick or it gets tracked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Rew wrote: »
    Was there last year, good spot, make sure you take advantage of the link over the Lech. The Skishow is meant to be worth a look but wasn't on the week we were there (http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/events/skishow-schneetreiben-with-fireworks)

I really liked Rendl first thing in the morning before the crowds. If you are a confident skier try some ski routes (also leant to differentiate them on the piste map or you end up looking for a pistes that isn't a piste! :-D

Basecamp is a good bar at the bottom of the slope the 2 infamous ones up the slope are good too. We rented our gear from the place right below the main lift (Galzig) good heated storage etc though bit a of a scrum at peak times. The Engineering of the Galzig lift is incredible.

If there is a fresh dump the area below the Gampen chair is a great bit of off piste but you have to be quick or it gets tracked out.

Thanks Rew, we were last there in 2013, so looking forward to getting back to see if there are many changes. The Flexenbahn lift seems to be the main one. We normally ski in France and love the 3v's, etc. but still rate St Anton as the best overall holiday we've had (when you incorporate hotel, town and après). Bizarrely the main thing everyone in the group is talking about is getting nacho's from Bobo's as they were really good the last time we were there!

Fitness makes a massive difference. First year I went snowboarding properly fit I couldn't believe the difference it made - so much more strength and control, which increases your confidence, you'll probably find yourself doing stuff you never thought you could do before. You'll especially notice it if you're heading off-piste.

I was in St. Anton a few weeks ago. It's very challenging, compared to the likes of the 3V, it really challenges you to up your game. There is great off piste there, and the ski routes are amazing. There was one route, Route 40 I think, that is about 4k long it's pretty amazing. Also, as Rew suggested, head to Lech for a day, it's worth the trip.

There a bar called Fang bar (I think) it's at the bottom of the Fang lift, I'd recommend it for apres-ski, the guy who plays guitar and sings is great.

Saw that, poor sods. Caused by other people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭prunudo

A lot of mixed reports out there.
    This article has a different take on it.
    http://echomag.co.uk/features/2017/tignes-avalanche-update

Regardless, still a sad story, being so close to the resort a lot of people would have witnessed it too. Rip to those involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah I think its clear it wasn't set off by people above them. But irrelevant really, its just a detail in an appalling human tragedy.

a148pro wrote: »
    Yeah I think its clear it wasn't set off by people above them. But irrelevant really, its just a detail in an appalling human tragedy.

True, I'd imagine there was massive confusion.

• Advertisement

So quiet everyone must be on the slopes :D

Heading to Andorra Sunday week, never been was always out off by boozy reputation but looks like it should be a good week (and its a boozy lads trip this time...). There was a massive dump on the long range but seem to have deflected and dropped on the alps :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

So quiet everyone must be on the slopes :D

Heading to Andorra Sunday week, never been was always out off by boozy reputation but looks like it should be a good week (and its a boozy lads trip this time...). There was a massive dump on the long range but seem to have deflected and dropped on the alps :mad:

what resort you going to?

Pas is very much a boozy town, think Ibiza on ice
    Arinsal has decent night life but nothing that will keep you awake all night

stecleary wrote: »

Pas... :D

I'm hopping that given we are mostly decent skiers and will be on the slopes early enough that we should get our pick of the tougher slopes and any off piste going if it does get a fresh dump.

Any ideas what it's like for buying gear given the low tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I'm hopping that given we are mostly decent skiers and will be on the slopes early enough that we should get our pick of the tougher slopes and any off piste going if it does get a fresh dump.

There's(or used to be) a massive Decathlon in the center of town. not massive price differences really. You'd only really notice the tax difference if you were kitting out a place over there. Restaurants and that are cheap but not bulgaria 10 years ago cheap, A pint will still be €5, €2-3 for local stuff, Cigs about €4. Don't look at the price of electronics unless you have loads of room in your bag to get that 90 inch tv you saw home. I'n saying that i bought a Bilabong jacket there years ago for about €100, checked the price of it when i got home and it would have been €250 over here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well, it's finally here (almost). Off on the annual trip to Westendorf in the morning. :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Over 10 years since I was there - booze is cheap as in Canary Islands cheap.

Go to the local ski school and see if you can get a 'private lesson' for the group, state funded so cheap as chips and will be able to show you around the slopes you need. PDLC is high so nearly always has snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

trashcan wrote: »
    Well, it's finally here (almost). Off on the annual trip to Westendorf in the morning. :D.

Likewise off to italy monday. Long awaited, was beginning to lose my mind, so hopefully this helps clear the head. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

For those of you not familiar with www.snowheads.com, I went to on their BBB to Arabba in the Dolomites earlier in the month, and wanted to share my impressions.
    The Snowheads forum was set up by a guy called Graham, who the story goes had a major windfall in the late 1990's, so even though he is not a bonded travel agent, has been organizing up to 5 trips a year for the last dozen years, without any trouble.
    The format is you pay him for HB in a 3 star, doing the flights and transfer yourself.
    It's a bit daunting at first having to go up and introduce yourself to people, but they couldn't have been nicer or more friendly, after all they have all been in the same situation themselves. I fell in with a group who go on 2 or 3 trips every year, and had a great week.
    I would say the general level is good/experienced intermediate and above. However, Graham does a trip to Livigno specifically for beginners in January.
    As for transfers, you can book directly with the Arabba tourist office for €41 return. I would definitely recommend these trips, they're a very sociable bunch, who kept the bar busy every night(if that's your thing)

stecleary wrote: »

There's a good run down from a powder bowl that's a bit off the beaten track. We hit it nicely one year with snow all night then got up early, freshies for all! Hard to explain how to get there, but it drops you back in on the opposite side of town. If you ask around with the locals (barmen in 'Underground' took us up) someone will explain it to you. There's a couple of lifts and a traverse involved, then crossing a road and hoping that 'skidoo man' is there to take you up for a few bob. If he's not, it's a 30-45 min hike, depending on hungoverness but it is a free and clear powder bowl and worth it! I did it at least 6/7 years ago, but fb updates recently seem to suggest it's still popular with the locals. Think they call it the 'skidoo run.'

• Advertisement

masseyno9 wrote: »
    There's a good run down from a powder bowl that's a bit off the beaten track. We hit it nicely one year with snow all night then got up early, freshies for all! Hard to explain how to get there, but it drops you back in on the opposite side of town. If you ask around with the locals (barmen in 'Underground' took us up) someone will explain it to you. There's a couple of lifts and a traverse involved, then crossing a road and hoping that 'skidoo man' is there to take you up for a few bob. If he's not, it's a 30-45 min hike, depending on hungoverness but it is a free and clear powder bowl and worth it! I did it at least 6/7 years ago, but fb updates recently seem to suggest it's still popular with the locals. Think they call it the 'skidoo run.'

Sounds great, dump hitting when we land if the weather holds. Won't be straying too far without a guide anyway. Have you looked at FATMAP? Has loads of local off p routes marked on it

Advertisement