Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Rew wrote: »
    Sounds great, dump hitting when we land if the weather holds. Won't be straying too far without a guide anyway. Have you looked at FATMAP? Has loads of local off p routes marked on it
    Never heard of it. Just looked it up and it looks great. It has Whistler on there...but that's a 12+ hour drive for me. Nothing else closer, except maybe some of the NW US resorts. Great tool...although hopefully people don't forget that just because something is on a map doesn't mean it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

What are conditions looking like for a short trip at the tail end of the season? Do you folks reckon current snow and forecast will allow for decent conditions into April?

Hoping (but it's not very likely) to get away somewhere near Geneva late season. Ski on at least one day of travel. Suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where might be good and cheap for a short 4 day break?

Not a huge amount of travel obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

lawred2 wrote: »

What level are you? Do you ski or snowboard? Is apres-ski important?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Just looked it up and it looks great. It has Whistler on there...but that's a 12+ hour drive for me. Nothing else closer, except maybe some of the NW US resorts. Great tool...although hopefully people don't forget that just because something is on a map doesn't mean it's safe.

They have strong warnings on the off piste ones alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Serious falls of snow due in the French alps over the next few days. Anybody heading away for the next week will have great conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

jvan wrote: »
    Serious falls of snow due in the French alps over the next few days. Anybody heading away for the next week will have great conditions.

Sitting in the airport now. 3 days of snow forecast for Austria.

Sitting in the airport now. 3 days of snow forecast for Austria.

Lucky sod, I'm off next week. Hopefully there aren't many delays on transfer day for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

jvan wrote: »
    Lucky sod, I'm off next week. Hopefully there aren't many delays on transfer day for you.

I'm used to it. Returning a few weeks ago I got stuck on the motorway in Austria and missed my flight in Memmingen. That hurt the pocket.

Will be collected in Germany and blast to Söll for a week then over to Mayrhofen for another to end the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

gaffmaster wrote: »
    What are conditions looking like for a short trip at the tail end of the season? Do you folks reckon current snow and forecast will allow for decent conditions into April?

Hoping (but it's not very likely) to get away somewhere near Geneva late season. Ski on at least one day of travel. Suggestions welcome.

If conditions are good, avoriaz is about an hour away.

If conditions not good then maybe grand montets in chamonix as its north facing, also an hour, or ideally val thorens, as its the highest, about two and a half hours away

• Advertisement

If you search through my posts you'll probably see a good few covering this (well four day breaks, not necessarily cheap though). I only do short breaks at last minute now. Will do up a thread on them at some point.

For cheap, aim for small resorts you've never heard of. But unless snow is good there may be a reason you've never heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

off to Ischgl tomorrow for 10 days.... bliss :D

cormee wrote: »
    What level are you? Do you ski or snowboard? Is apres-ski important?

While since I've skied but I was decent enough. Wouldn't be bothered with off piste.

Apres ski for a few meals and a few drinks would be sufficient. Wouldn't have to be a party town.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Had a great week in Oberstdorf, Germany. Snow conditions were good on the piste, it hit 13c there on one of the days followed by snow the day after. Thought it would be quieter after the mid-term, but apparently they have a week off school at that time for a snow holiday in the Bavarian region only, maybe something to remember for next year!?? Lots of Dutch there too.

Distraught! Only one trip this year. And I've already made it :*(
    Spring trip cancelled. WAAAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

Off to Andorra on Thursday, anyone know what Encamp is like there?

Just back from a week in Andorra. Pleasantly surprised by Andorra, I had long written it off as the place you go on your first trip or where you go to drink more then you ski. We were in Pas de la Casa in the Grandvalira ski area. Town had plenty got those who wanted to hit the booze or the slopes or bring the family. Some of the other parts of Grandvalira had great setups for kids (we saw at least 4 very good dedicated kids areas). The slopes were all well groomed, decent variety of options. Off piste looked great but we didn't get the fresh snow to make it possible. By the end of the week the temps were way up and the snow quality was dipping and some runs were heavily moguled by the end of the day. Also Saturdays are very busy with day trippers which didn't help in combination with the high temps.

The negatives were high winds that stripped a lot of snow high up and closed some lifts early in the week, I believe thats not uncommon. The other big one was a couple of spots where there are lift bottlenecks that caused big queues.

The shopping was top notch, all the ski gear and brands you could want at generally much better prices made even better by end of season sales that were 20-50% off.

Got a GoPro Karma Grip before the trip. Have to say very impressed, videos from it are super smooth (when hand held following someone its like a drone shot), battery lasts ages and it takes a beating. I fell directly on it while it was chest mounted and got it covered in snow/wet repeatedly. It does have issues where its horizon can drift/tilt though. I really hope thats something they can work on in firmware. Wasn't a big deal but I haven't been though all the videos yet so may find some that were spoiled.

Got a GoPro Karma Grip before the trip. Have to say very impressed, videos from it are super smooth (when hand held following someone its like a drone shot), battery lasts ages and it takes a beating. I fell directly on it while it was chest mounted and got it covered in snow/wet repeatedly. It does have issues where its horizon can drift/tilt though. I really hope thats something they can work on in firmware. Wasn't a big deal but I haven't been though all the videos yet so may find some that were spoiled.

Fantastic quality - and it is chest mounted too? They're usually the worst, in terms of shakiness. The zip line one is almost too smooth though, you lose the feeling of motion.

Fantastic quality - and it is chest mounted too? They're usually the worst, in terms of shakiness. The zip line one is almost too smooth though, you lose the feeling of motion.

Yeah thats the risk with it alright here is a hand held version from the guy on the 2nd line:

• Advertisement

and it is chest mounted too?

It has an optional ring that you attach that has a standard gopro mount so you can mate it to any existing gopro gear.

And so winter 2017 is over for me now. From what looked like a possible missed winter I managed to get a long weekend on the slopes last week.
    3 of us went, got flights to Bergamo for €128 p/p return (including luggage, boards and reserved seat's).

We were unsure of which resort so we held tight for a while, waiting to see what the snow God's would throw up, originally thinking the Dolomites, even contemplating Chamonix at one stage, but eventually settled on Livigno as we'd been before so went with familiarity.
    We hired a car and drove up on the Thursday, then had 3 full days on the slopes, with amazing bluebird days every day. There was still a bit of fresh powder to be found but the majority was choppy. Pistes were perfect though.

We never heard any Irish while there and only 2 groups of middle aged English people. It appears that Livigno has changed from the last time we were there. Lots of Italians, Germans and Polish, doesn't seem to be many package operators from what we could see. We reckon that it appears to be positioning as a more up market resort.

We took the scenic route back via St.Moritz and down the west side of Lake Como which was a beautiful drive, stunning scenery with blue skies all the way.

I don't usually use the word relaxing when describing a snowboarding trip but it was certainly one of the most relaxing breaks I've been on.

It was the first real diy trip we've done, some might find the long drive a waste of time but it suited our needs and we still got 3 full days on the slopes. Ideally I'd look for cheap flights to Geneva to give more resort options but I don't know if there is such a thing.

Roll on 2018

Back from Les Deux Alpes a few days and resigning my self to the season being over for me. It was a family trip so only skied mornings, with my wife and my 4yr old and my self all doing ski school and the 2 year old and baby hanging out with a nanny. In the afternoons we ice skated, sledded and skied the bunny slopes with the kids. All in all a very pleasant trip despite the snow being pretty poor. There was a welcome top up late in the week and the last couple of days on piste was very nice. Off piste was a no go.

Flew EasyJet out of Belfast to Lyon, amazing value at €300 for the 5 of us (4 seats) and 3 x 20kg bags. Rented a car and drove, very easy 2 hour drive on the motorway most of the way with one toll each way of €12. AirBnB'd a nice apartment close to everything. Had a near disaster with passports so id advise renewing or applying for any passports way in advance. Kids took over a month and half and thats with panicked trips to the passport office and the staff there giving us a dig out.

The kids loved skiing!

He's brilliant!

Trip booked to Chamonix for 26th April! The lifts close a few days after. This is definitely cutting it fine, but even slushy snow is better than none.

A friend just back from there today, conditions looked fantastic. The way this winter has gone could be epic when you get there!

A friend just back from there today, conditions looked fantastic. The way this winter has gone could be epic when you get there!

I go in late March/April most years, it looked like it wasn't on this year, then in the space of 24 hours it was agreed and booked.

We went around this time of the year last year, the conditions were crazy, we got stuck on top of Point de Vue, in the Grand Montets, in a blizzard with roughly 6' visibility after the lifts had closed, I think that was the first time in 15 years-plus snowboarding that I felt my life was in danger.

So yeah! Literally anything is possible weather-wise at this time of the year. :D I'll be happy just to get away from the kids for a few days, and slop around in some slush.

Some of the resorts in Tahoe in the US are planning on staying open till the 4th of July! Last I saw they have gotted over 600" of snow this season. Crazy stuff.

Some of the resorts in Tahoe in the US are planning on staying open till the 4th of July! Last I saw they have gotted over 600" of snow this season. Crazy stuff.

600 inches of snow? seriously? 50 feet of snow?

• Advertisement

600 inches of snow? seriously? 50 feet of snow?

I'd well believe it, there were photos doing the rounds of the tops of chairlifts, the wheel part, barely protruding from the snow after one of the storms they had during the year.

Am very envious of the season they have in the USA, it will start again, as early as October in some resorts.

Advertisement