Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting Wild Garlic

Options
  • 19-05-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

When is the best time to transplant wild garlic bulbs/plants? I use lots of it every year - salads and pesto.

It's for planting an old hen pen which is a mix of soil / hen manure/ gravel and is a mass of weeds which I mow occasionally.

There's a greenhouse in the middle of the pen and I'd like to have it surrounded by wild garlic :)

I realise it can take over.

Does anyone know how / when to transplant it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Apologies Yorky for hi-jacking your thread but where can you buy wild garlic? I have heard about it a lot lately and would not mind having some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Just dig it up in some soil and stick it in the ground where you want to put it and give it a good watering - remember it likes shade. Also remember it's a weed, so will spread like wildfire! It can be transplanted anytime, although if doing it now it will die back a bit, but will grow again next year.

As for where to buy it, not sure - but it's growing all over the countryside (just don't dig it up from the side of a road as it will be slightly contaminated)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marask

I got mine in woodies, bulbs for winter planting

Advertisement